The Traders' Den  

The Traders' Den > Where we go to learn ..... > Technobabble

Notices

Technobabble Post your general Need for Help questions here.
Lossy or Lossless?
Moderators

Old 2007-06-09, 06:36 AM
975.94 GB/549.13 GB/0.56

Firewall Question

I am signed in and under were is says welcome it says FIREWALLED in red but I am still downloading a show. What should I do?

Mark
Reply With Quote Reply with Nested Quotes
Old 2007-06-09, 08:35 AM
Tubular
0.00 KB/0.00 KB/---

Re: Firewall Question

To remove the firewall, you need to forward a port(s) on your router's firewall. Once you are not firewalled, you will get much better average download speeds because you will be able to connect to anybody, whether they are firewalled or not. Firewalled peers can only connect to non-firewalled peers. Plus you will be helping out those who are not able to poke a hole in their firewalls (at work or school or some newer condos) Go here for instructions on how to do it:
www.portforward.com
Old 2007-06-09, 12:41 PM
TTD VIP
19.33 TB/8.15 TB/0.42

I am firewalled too, but my download speed is excellent. I'm not firewalled on any of the other 4 sites so my ports must be open.
Old 2007-06-09, 12:55 PM
TTD Staff
474.39 GB/2.01 TB/4.34

vladsmythe, I just looked at a show you are seeding, and you aren't showing up as firewalled. Hmm, however, you are showing up as firewalled on the one you are downloading. You are using two different ports though. Try stopping and starting the Lennon one and see if the "firewalled" sign goes away.

livejamz, as suggested, go to portforward.com and follow the links regarding Port Forwarding. You will need to know the make and model number of your router.

Old 2007-06-09, 01:10 PM
TTD VIP
19.33 TB/8.15 TB/0.42

U2Lynne, It went away on it's own without me disconnecting the Lennon.
Very strange. Thanks for the input.
Old 2007-06-09, 02:51 PM
975.94 GB/549.13 GB/0.56

Mine did the same thing and went away. That is strange.
Old 2007-06-09, 11:50 PM
k.crabbe
0.00 KB/0.00 KB/---

Same here. Everything is fine now though. Must be a little glitch somewhere.
Old 2007-06-13, 08:48 AM
391.95 GB/286.43 GB/0.73

I too have "FIREWALLED" under my name. My bittorrent client says all "ports open" I went to canyouseeme. com and it says "error, connectiontimed out." I have also noticed that sometimes that firewalled under my name will disappear. I am DL a Phish DVD right now, past 3 days and the speeds tend to go up,down, sometimes 3 kb, sometimes 63. I have gotten up to 155 before. I had a router plugged in, but I stopped that. I opened my firewalls on AOL security. Any ideas?
Old 2007-06-13, 09:07 AM
TTD Staff
474.39 GB/2.01 TB/4.34

I have noticed at times before that Azureus will list me as firewalled when I know I d*mn well shouldn't be! Usually it just takes me restarting my router to fix the issue (turn it off for 30 seconds then turn it back on and then it takes about a minute to reset itself). If canyouseeme is giving your a time out error, then I can about guarantee you will get that FIREWALLED under your name because we do the same sort of test here.

Being firewalled doesn't necessarily have anything to do with your speeds. It has to do with how many other users you may connect to which *may* have an affect on your speeds. If you are firewalled, then you may only connect to others who are NOT firewalled. If you aren't firewalled, you may connect to everyone. Your speed comes into play if you are connecting to only a couple of users and thus you get limited to a couple of people upload speeds. The more users you connect to, usually the faster your download rate.

Old 2007-07-01, 01:38 AM
181.09 GB/156.58 GB/0.86

I also get the message that I'm firewalled, while utorrent says everything is ok. Other torrent sites don't say I'm firewalled, so I guess there's a kond of problem on this end?
Old 2007-07-01, 10:24 AM
TTD Staff
474.39 GB/2.01 TB/4.34

If you are fine on canyouseeme.org, then I wouldn't worry about it. If canyouseeme says they can't see you, then you are firewalled.

The Traders' Den > Where we go to learn ..... > Technobabble