The Traders' Den  

The Traders' Den > Where we go to learn ..... > Technobabble

Notices

Technobabble Post your general Need for Help questions here.
Lossy or Lossless?
Moderators

Old 2007-07-04, 04:31 AM
89.47 GB/72.15 GB/0.81

video cameras.

i'm buying a new video camera specificially to video shows. here at the models i am looking at.

#1 - Good/Bad? This is lossless or no?

#2 - Good/Bad? Does it go straight to DVD? How hard is the transferring process?

I have a $600 budget. If #1 is lossless, I am willing to go over my budget to replace my digital camera as well. I want something that will produce something GOOD. I don't think I can afford something that will produce something AMAZING.

I hope for some help.

"i lost two things that night - my teeth & my peace of mind. - Florence Holway *
Reply With Quote Reply with Nested Quotes
Old 2007-07-04, 05:30 AM
Recording/Mastering Engineer
775.22 GB/3.83 TB/5.05

Re: video cameras.

I'm no video cam expert, but #1 is a hybrid still camera that takes up to 14 minute video shots, not good for taping shows (unless they're VERY short shows!
#2 records on MiniDV tapes, not to DVD... MiniDV is pretty good, tapes are 1 hour usually, and transfers to computer thru firewire usually, seems easy and good, I think...
Old 2007-07-04, 09:56 AM
1.13 TB/1.70 TB/1.51

Though they are no longer made you see a lot of shows done with the Sony PC100

Quote:
Originally posted by frankenberry
anybody else who decides to call me a fuckhead troll newbie (you know who you are) should be made to listen to phish bootleg taped by a '73 led zeppelin taper
Old 2007-07-04, 12:01 PM
Shareblue Platinum Member
471.23 GB/591.81 GB/1.26

I would say no go on the first two. esp. the first one. I would go with diggrd's link.
Old 2007-07-04, 12:04 PM
TTD Staff
1.11 TB/1.41 TB/1.27

stay away from the first fer sure...as far as the second option - personally, i'm not a fan of Canon's consumer products in live concert situations due to poor low-light performance...on the whole, Sony cams typically perform better [again, i generalizing here]

as mentioned ^^, the Sony DCR-PC100 is a great cam that a lot of video tapers use...the newer version, the Sony DCR-PC1000, is what we usually shoot shows with...excellent cam if you don't need an external audio input [i run a separate audio rig so that doesn't really matter to me]...the in-cam mic is shite, but i pretty much feel that way about all in-cam mics, so...

as for pricing - bought my PC1000 brand new about a year ago, price was ~$700[US]...and you should be able to find a PC100 in good condition on ebay for under $400 no problem...i would go with one of those 2 cams if it were me

heres camcorderinfo's review on the PC1000:
http://www.camcorderinfo.com/content...der-Review.htm

and their review on the Canon ZR850 [which is a step up from the ZR800 you mentioned above]:
http://www.camcorderinfo.com/content...erformance.htm
Old 2007-07-04, 12:20 PM
TTD Staff
1.11 TB/1.41 TB/1.27

here's a decent example of the typical PC100s i've seen on ebay lately
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...ype=osi_widget

things to keep an eye out for [either extras or missing items] -- ** items are necessities imo:
**A/C power supply
**remote control
**extra batteries [the auction linked below includes 3 NP-FM50s, totaling approx 6-8 hrs of shooting time]
**manuals
UV/wide angle/telephoto lenses or filters
lens hood

and btw, i'm not spamming for this auction just figured its a good example of a typical "package deal"
Old 2007-07-07, 11:42 PM
553.49 MB/0.00 KB/0.00

I actually think some Canon mini dv's perform better in low light than some Sony's, but like AAR said, it's all generalization. Just an opinion...

And unless you use a tripod, Sony's image stabilization (i'm only talking consumer level here) sucks when zooming.

But hey- for your budget, either Sony or Canon will perform admirably. Just STAY AWAY from JVC. I've had that many probs with that brand it aint funny

Last edited by eattherich; 2007-07-07 at 11:48 PM.
Old 2007-07-08, 05:00 AM
Eclectic Head Banger
114.34 GB/114.42 GB/1.00

Thought I might mention I recently saw a JVC with a 30GB HD for $499. I have never used a camera with a hard drive, but I am looking at going that route for myself. To me the best selling point is that I do need to change tapes and splice/merge them later.

Link: JVC 30 GB Hard Drive Camera
Old 2007-07-08, 08:04 AM
TTD Staff
1.11 TB/1.41 TB/1.27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Magoo
Thought I might mention I recently saw a JVC with a 30GB HD for $499. I have never used a camera with a hard drive, but I am looking at going that route for myself. To me the best selling point is that I do need to change tapes and splice/merge them later.

Link: JVC 30 GB Hard Drive Camera
here's camcorderinfo's review on that JVC model:

one thing to keep in mind, pretty much any consumer-level hard drive cam isn't going to capture in raw .avi or .dv, but will compress your footage to mpeg2 on-the-fly...and that comes with glitches/issues, including the fact that alot of NLE progs won't accept mpeg2 files for editing, and you will have to convert to avi or similar, do your edit, and then re-compress once your project is completed -- double compression = quality loss

i'm not saying no one should buy a hard drive cam, just think about all the angles first...and really check out camcorderinfo.com when comparing -- the reviews aren't by random consumers, but pofessionals who *really* test out and know about the features
Old 2007-07-08, 08:36 AM
553.49 MB/0.00 KB/0.00

Definitely...I've never purchased a cam without reading the review at camcorderinfo.com first. They're really thorough.
Old 2007-07-08, 09:34 AM
TTD Staff
1.11 TB/1.41 TB/1.27

Quote:
Originally Posted by eattherich
Definitely...I've never purchased a cam without reading the review at camcorderinfo.com first. They're really thorough.
you mentioned a few Canon cams that performed great in low-light...i'd be interested to know the models...we're trying to compile a small guide to cams specific for live show taping, and the only canon's i've perosnally used were the GL2 and XL1/XL2...would like to know more re: some of their consumer cams
Old 2007-07-08, 10:52 AM
I should be working
2.69 TB/1.70 TB/0.63

I've seen the Panasonic PV-GS320 on sale for $470. It's a small 3 chip camera that will give you excellent results when filming concerts.
Old 2007-07-08, 08:12 PM
1.13 TB/1.70 TB/1.51

I would stay away from the JVC. I own the first generation Everio and although that newer model has some improvements it does have some of the same flaws as well. Low light performance is not good, the fact that they went to 30 GB HD and still didn't offer the option to save raw instead of compressed video seems like they were only thinking home vidcam consumer.About the only plus is the size and that flip out view finder is not a plus in that department mine looks like this and more often than not when I'm stealthing there is a dark 35 mm transparency flipped down over the viewfinder to block the display.

Quote:
Originally posted by frankenberry
anybody else who decides to call me a fuckhead troll newbie (you know who you are) should be made to listen to phish bootleg taped by a '73 led zeppelin taper
Old 2007-07-09, 12:58 PM
Eclectic Head Banger
114.34 GB/114.42 GB/1.00

Does anyone have a recommendation for hard disk camera that does not convert on the fly?
Old 2007-07-09, 01:13 PM
Shareblue Platinum Member
471.23 GB/591.81 GB/1.26

I could be wrong.... but I think the only ones that don't convert would be ones that could accept a firestore HDD. or the equivalent. I don't think they make ones that store on their own HDD and don't compress. Which is why HDD cameras are not that good. You can't do multicam videos without rendering rendered files.

The Traders' Den > Where we go to learn ..... > Technobabble