The Traders' Den  

The Traders' Den > Where we go to learn ..... > Technobabble

Notices

Technobabble Post your general Need for Help questions here.
Lossy or Lossless?
Moderators

Old 2006-05-04, 02:27 PM
TTD Staff
474.39 GB/2.01 TB/4.34

Max for OS10.4

I downloaded Max this morning and decided to give it a try. It's only been released for a bit over a month. It's an error-correcting ripper (it uses cdparanoia) and can also convert to some lossless formats like flac and ape (not shn). It will write to a log when converting (although the log doesn't say much). It will also allow you to specify the conventional naming convention of artistyyyy-mm-ddD0xT0x . However, that looks a little buggy since I put in 2006-12-06 and got 4274906090 instead.

Anyway, has anyone used it or done any tests on it (ffooky??)

Reply With Quote Reply with Nested Quotes
Old 2006-05-04, 03:54 PM
56.17 GB/77.19 GB/1.37

Re: Max for OS10.4

It's been out for a while now but I don't run Tiger on my main box so I haven't really played with it much. My brief impressions were that the log was a dog's breakfast and that the whole GUI leaves a lot to be desired. It has some definite advantages over xACT but secure ripping on a drive that caches audio isn't one of them

If I can ever get my kid(s) off the Tiger machine I want to see if it preserves tags when converting FLAC to AAC, though it's not immediately apparent how to create M4A's rather than raw AAC's.

The developer is a good sort and his sister app, Tag, is well worth a look if you want a freeware alternative to Media Rage.

Black Keys - I Got Mine
Tintern Abbey - Vacuum Cleaner
Old 2006-05-05, 07:14 AM
Happy little trees
TTD VIP
659.93 GB/7.41 TB/11.50

Yeah it's kind of annoying to use (and I'm not convinced it's comparable to EAC) but it gives me cred at Oink (cause of the log, albeit crappy; that just goes to show people like to see logs but no one actually looks at them!).
Old 2006-05-05, 08:41 AM
56.17 GB/77.19 GB/1.37

Ain't no native OS X app that compares to EAC but I'm very interested to hear from any IntelMac owners if Parallels can run it effectively.

Black Keys - I Got Mine
Tintern Abbey - Vacuum Cleaner
Old 2006-05-05, 09:45 AM
TTD Staff
474.39 GB/2.01 TB/4.34

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsmyth79
Yeah it's kind of annoying to use (and I'm not convinced it's comparable to EAC) but it gives me cred at Oink (cause of the log, albeit crappy; that just goes to show people like to see logs but no one actually looks at them!).
xACT gives you a log also. It seems much better than the one I got from Max.

The Traders' Den > Where we go to learn ..... > Technobabble