The Traders' Den  

The Traders' Den > Where we go to learn ..... > Site Announcements & Suggestions

Notices

Site Announcements & Suggestions This is where you should make your suggestions to us on how to improve your experience here and where to post about site problems/issues.
Moderators

Old 2011-01-26, 02:15 PM
wanna buy me a drink????
1.87 TB/2.30 TB/1.23

Re: The discussion areas of TTD

ahem
"Trust a pro" Keith Richards
"here is my offer: nothing" Mike C
Reply With Quote Reply with Nested Quotes
Old 2011-01-26, 02:16 PM
crumpet-stuffer
TTD Staff
87.48 GB/884.33 GB/10.11

I think it is entirely possible to overthink all this...

It is my opinion that people best govern themselves, rather than being in constant fear of reprimand.

There is one single change we can make that will most greatly benefit the lounge. It was your suggestion (Bill) and I (and two others) had already been privately talking about it.

I still think it is the easiest, least disruptive thing to do that will effect a positive change in the level of participation.
Old 2011-01-26, 02:25 PM
0.00 KB/0.00 KB/---

Start enforcing the rules in The Lounge and create a second everything goes lounge called /b/
Old 2011-01-26, 03:22 PM
TTD Hoarder
TTD Staff
326.11 GB/317.06 GB/0.97

The Poli Forum is a coffee shop, people sitting around discussing the latest news.

The Piano Bar is more of a record store. People sharing their latest finds, or their old faves.

And the Lounge is a bar. And all that that might entail. Smoking, drinking, a bit of crudity here & there. Some trash-talking, and the occasional real argument.

And what happens in a bar where you have bouncers hovering over you, waiting for you to break a rule or step ever so slightly out of line?

You quit going to that bar.

The free-wheelin' feel of the Lounge is its magic. Straighten it up, get everybody to walk in a single file line, and you'll have the same boring GD forum every other message board has.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcbullet View Post
Sometimes im dense.
Quote:
I hate not being a real man.
Old 2011-01-26, 03:49 PM
Cornelious Jerome Garcia Oppenheimer Cornelious Jerome Garcia Oppenheimer is offline
136.25 GB/177.94 GB/1.31

Quote:
Originally Posted by rspencer View Post
The Poli Forum is a coffee shop, people sitting around discussing the latest news.

The Piano Bar is more of a record store. People sharing their latest finds, or their old faves.

And the Lounge is a bar. And all that that might entail. Smoking, drinking, a bit of crudity here & there. Some trash-talking, and the occasional real argument.

And what happens in a bar where you have bouncers hovering over you, waiting for you to break a rule or step ever so slightly out of line?

But if you went into a bar and started stalking people and just being ugly for the sake of being ugly, you would get kicked out or get your ass kicked then kicked out. Most of the crap would stop if the aliases were controlled better and people had to actually post using their primary account OR the complete troll aliases were taken care of.

The fact does remain that some of the worst aliases were created and allowed only to harass/stalk people.

Quote:
The free-wheelin' feel of the Lounge is its magic. Straighten it up, get everybody to walk in a single file line, and you'll have the same boring GD forum every other message board has.
Don't need to go to that extreme. I have been a part of some boards that have fairly relaxed rules (but enforced) that remained interesting and active, just reduces the number of habitual trolls/jerks
Old 2011-01-26, 09:06 PM
TTD Staff
474.39 GB/2.01 TB/4.34

I cleaned the thread a bit. If you guys want to read about Superman and his friends, you'll find the posts in The Deleted Posts from Elsewhere thread. If we want to get some discussion from others, they aren't going to want to read all that.

Old 2011-01-26, 09:12 PM
Cornelious Jerome Garcia Oppenheimer Cornelious Jerome Garcia Oppenheimer is offline
136.25 GB/177.94 GB/1.31

Thanks
Old 2011-01-26, 09:13 PM
bright ambassador of morning
497.48 GB/1.18 TB/2.43

Quote:

Agree - and for the record, I typed the entry below before reading the post above (bar analogy and all).

++++++

This thread appears to me to be a study in one person's obsession with a topic, assumption of multiple facts not yet in evidence, and more than a few people willing to mess with the author. The music-oriented action happens mostly in the torrent forums. What happens in the Lounge is a social aspect of the site that's fairly unique these days. I participate at other sites that don't have nearly the flavor & fun that the Lounge does.

Not saying it can't be improved but don't see how more mods or more modding makes that happen. It's a small part of the site to me (and also the part I visit most often).

Kinda like the cool bar around the corner from the record store. Most people go to the record store for tunes. Some people also hang out at the bar. Suggesting that people who visit the store without visiting the bar should take a stake in the bar -- or that the owner of the bar should make changes to make itself more relevant (what that even means?) to the record store patrons -- seems to me a bit of a disconnect. Heck, your average torrent thread sometimes has a problem getting people to say "thank you"...

Quote:
Vince Gill:
I just got an award presented to me by a Beatle. Have you had that happen yet, Kanye?
Quote:
Originally Posted by karmakat View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by jameskg View Post
I knew that was the wrong answer
such is the nature of Gilligan.
Old 2011-01-26, 09:32 PM
crumpet-stuffer
TTD Staff
87.48 GB/884.33 GB/10.11

Quote:
Originally Posted by mooncusser View Post
Quote:

Agree - and for the record, I typed the entry below before reading the post above (bar analogy and all).

++++++

This thread appears to me to be a study in one person's obsession with a topic, assumption of multiple facts not yet in evidence, and more than a few people willing to mess with the author. The music-oriented action happens mostly in the torrent forums. What happens in the Lounge is a social aspect of the site that's fairly unique these days. I participate at other sites that don't have nearly the flavor & fun that the Lounge does.

Not saying it can't be improved but don't see how more mods or more modding makes that happen. It's a small part of the site to me (and also the part I visit most often).

Kinda like the cool bar around the corner from the record store. Most people go to the record store for tunes. Some people also hang out at the bar. Suggesting that people who visit the store without visiting the bar should take a stake in the bar -- or that the owner of the bar should make changes to make itself more relevant (what that even means?) to the record store patrons -- seems to me a bit of a disconnect. Heck, your average torrent thread sometimes has a problem getting people to say "thank you"...

I think these are good points...

there will always be those who don't want to participate... like Hugo's wife thinks we are "retards" (or at least some of us). She's not wrong, really... the Lounge is a place where people can show their asses (though not literally ) without (much) fear of retribution.

What I cannot grasp is why some people would think they will be attacked just because they join in... if some shit is going on between Toys & freezer or me and freezer, that doesn't mean Toys and I are going to jump all over the next person that comes in.

There are many different social norms different people go by. I run into it all the time when working... something that is perfectly normal and benign to some will offend the hell out of others... being a (mostly) globally-accessible site, we're going to run into things like that from time to time.

I can tell Toys to go fuck himself and he'll get over it... it's not personal. To someone else, it would be an act of war or something.

The question, here, which I fear has no good answer:

How do we make the Lounge feel safe for 99% of people who lurk in it to participate (obviously there are several that read and don't chime in.. but continue to read) without dulling down the very dynamic that makes it so unique?

I mean, honestly, this site beats the shit out of most other torrent sites as far as community and personality goes... it may be disfunctional, but it ain't boring, by any means.
Old 2011-01-26, 09:57 PM
136.25 GB/177.94 GB/1.31

Quote:
I think these are good points...

there will always be those who don't want to participate... like Hugo's wife thinks we are "retards" (or at least some of us). She's not wrong, really... the Lounge is a place where people can show their asses (though not literally ) without (much) fear of retribution.

What I cannot grasp is why some people would think they will be attacked just because they join in... if some shit is going on between Toys & freezer or me and freezer, that doesn't mean Toys and I are going to jump all over the next person that comes in.

There are many different social norms different people go by. I run into it all the time when working... something that is perfectly normal and benign to some will offend the hell out of others... being a (mostly) globally-accessible site, we're going to run into things like that from time to time.

I can tell Toys to go fuck himself and he'll get over it... it's not personal. To someone else, it would be an act of war or something.

The question, here, which I fear has no good answer:

How do we make the Lounge feel safe for 99% of people who lurk in it to participate (obviously there are several that read and don't chime in.. but continue to read) without dulling down the very dynamic that makes it so unique?

I mean, honestly, this site beats the shit out of most other torrent sites as far as community and personality goes... it may be disfunctional, but it ain't boring, by any means.
Good points. I see how a lot of people are assuming that it would lose all of its fun if any changes are made. Really if just these were addressed and taken care of, it would be good for the lounge.

That the staff follow the rules a bit more than the average user.
That the staff address the habitual trolls and try to employ anything that might help.
That aliases that are not just fun characters be banned.

I do not want a g-rated board and I love a lot of the things that others may find offensive and understand that the line is different for everyone.

I do maintain that there is an element there that is ugly and that it does nothing but bring more of it around. I do not think addressing these would or should equate to a speech regulated police state or would create any kind of boring discussion forum.

It is the lounge and will always be too crude for some, but doesn't need to allow people to do whatever they please.

As far as the back and forths between people, just keep those lovefests to one thread. IE - (Freezer loves James, Wolfie loves toys, anyone who is sick of bill_kate)

They can be very entertaining reads and I have picked up some great new insults to use when I am at an actual bar. Just keep em contained.

I am not for any sort of New Order Board.

Just get rid of the blatant obvious shit.
Old 2011-01-26, 10:04 PM
crumpet-stuffer
TTD Staff
87.48 GB/884.33 GB/10.11

you either need a comma there or make that an adverb.

Maybe we could just adopt the practice of a mod posting a fluffy bunny any time a thread is getting out of control?

That way, nothing has to get deleted and no long-winded chastising posts will be needed... simply "heed the bunny" and tone it down?

Old 2011-01-26, 10:10 PM
TTD Hoarder
TTD Staff
326.11 GB/317.06 GB/0.97

Quote:
Originally Posted by bill_kate View Post
As far as the back and forths between people, just keep those lovefests to one thread. IE - (Freezer loves James, Wolfie loves toys, everyone is sick of bill_kate)

They can be very entertaining reads and I have picked up some great new insults to use when I am at an actual bar.
Fixed that for you, mouthbreather.

Quote:
Sometimes im dense.
Quote:
I hate not being a real man.
Old 2011-01-26, 10:16 PM
136.25 GB/177.94 GB/1.31

Quote:

Maybe we could just adopt the practice of a mod posting a fluffy bunny any time a thread is getting out of control?

That way, nothing has to get deleted and no long-winded chastising posts will be needed... simply "heed the bunny" and tone it down?

I tried posting a pic of an emergency brake a couple of days ago in a couple of threads.
Old 2011-01-26, 10:19 PM
crumpet-stuffer
TTD Staff
87.48 GB/884.33 GB/10.11

Quote:
Originally Posted by bill_kate View Post
Quote:

I tried posting a pic of an emergency brake a couple of days ago in a couple of threads.

yes, but that may come off a bit totalitarian and oppressive to some... the fluffy bunny would be more universally accepted and not generate ill will.
Old 2011-01-26, 10:27 PM
136.25 GB/177.94 GB/1.31

Good point. The bunny is better

The Traders' Den > Where we go to learn ..... > Site Announcements & Suggestions