The Traders' Den  

The Traders' Den > Where we go to learn ..... > Technobabble

Notices

Technobabble Post your general Need for Help questions here.
Lossy or Lossless?
Moderators

Old 2006-09-12, 10:10 PM
saveferals
0.00 KB/0.00 KB/---

Static IP Question

The last router I had was a Linksys. When I configured my static IP's for my computer I used the ipconfig/all setting for the ip configuration on my notebook and desktop (different ips). The D-Link guy (new router) said I would have to contact my isp for the ip numbers for my computers. Why did my last ones work then?
Any suggestions??

It appeasr that I am firewalled again so I am going to have to set up the whole thing again with the new router on board.
Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote Reply with Nested Quotes
Old 2006-09-12, 10:22 PM
TTD Staff
474.39 GB/2.01 TB/4.34

Re: Static IP Question

The D-Link guy is confusing your external IP (from your ISP) with your local IP (from ipconfig/all). You would do exactly what you did before to get the local static IP (do an ipconfig/all) and then plug that into your D-Link router in the Advanced > Firewall tab.

Reply With Quote Reply with Nested Quotes
Old 2006-09-12, 11:05 PM
saveferals
0.00 KB/0.00 KB/---

Hi Lynne-

Don't I configure my static ips for the computers too???
Old 2006-09-12, 11:08 PM
saveferals
0.00 KB/0.00 KB/---

So I don't have to configure a static ip in the router in the router settings? When I tried before I couldn't connect to the internet.
Old 2006-09-12, 11:20 PM
TTD Staff
474.39 GB/2.01 TB/4.34

Quote:
Originally Posted by saveferals
Hi Lynne-

Don't I configure my static ips for the computers too???
Didn't you already establish a static Ip for each of your computers when you had the linksys? If you already did it, then you just need to know what those static IPs are and you can just do an ipconfig/all for that.

Old 2006-09-12, 11:22 PM
saveferals
0.00 KB/0.00 KB/---

I went to the D-Link firewall setup:

It asks for

Source: IP Range Start ____ and End_____

Destination Start___ and End ___ and Tcp____-________

What am I suppose to put here???

My Ip config IP address for both start and end on both? And what about the tcp? When I disable my Dhcp I cannot connect to the internet.
Old 2006-09-12, 11:26 PM
TTD Staff
474.39 GB/2.01 TB/4.34

Quote:
So I don't have to configure a static ip in the router in the router settings? When I tried before I couldn't connect to the internet.
What I did it went to the DHCP settings and gave it a high range not used by any of my computers (they are all set up static) - 192.168.1.200 - 192.168.1.254 . Or, I could have entered every computer in that same tab to use a static IP. But, the way my D-Link is, if I enter a range, then if a computer that doesn't have a static IP set up tries to connect to the router, it will give it an IP in that DHCP range and not one outside of that range. (n the WAN tab, I have it set to PPPoE.)

Old 2006-09-12, 11:38 PM
saveferals
0.00 KB/0.00 KB/---

Quote:
Originally Posted by U2Lynne
What I did it went to the DHCP settings and gave it a high range not used by any of my computers (they are all set up static) - 192.168.1.200 - 192.168.1.254 . Or, I could have entered every computer in that same tab to use a static IP. But, the way my D-Link is, if I enter a range, then if a computer that doesn't have a static IP set up tries to connect to the router, it will give it an IP in that DHCP range and not one outside of that range. (n the WAN tab, I have it set to PPPoE.)
So should I set up static ips first on my notebook and desktop and then configure the router or the other way around since I seem to be disconnectd to the internet (do I use ipconfig/all to configure my own numbers for these computers or is this where I contact my ISP???)

Also: Did a check: Results

Checking port 15845 on 68.13.179.161...

Error! Port 15845 does not appear to be open.

Please see www.portforward.com for more information about how to map a port.

Please make absolutely sure that PeerGuardian2 or Protowall is allowing utorrent.com (72.20.34.145) in either of those programs. Those of you using ipfilter.dat should make sure the list does not include the website's IP. After making sure of this, re-run this test by refreshing the page (F5).

Do I have to use utorrents Ip address in the router anywhere?
Old 2006-09-12, 11:44 PM
188.22 GB/293.58 GB/1.56

Is uTorrent trying to test your port forwarding on your external ip address? If so, I've run across the same problem and I'm curious as to what the solution is. If I can port forward using my external address, and uTorrent only test the external address, how am I ever going to convince it that I'm not forewalled?
Old 2006-09-12, 11:56 PM
saveferals
0.00 KB/0.00 KB/---

Quote:
Originally Posted by HopOttin
Is uTorrent trying to test your port forwarding on your external ip address? If so, I've run across the same problem and I'm curious as to what the solution is. If I can port forward using my external address, and uTorrent only test the external address, how am I ever going to convince it that I'm not forewalled?

I really am not sure! I wish I hadn't changed routers becasue I had everything working before but I kept getting drops with the Linksys. Hopefully we can get this sorted out!
Old 2006-09-12, 11:57 PM
saveferals
0.00 KB/0.00 KB/---

Quote:
I really am not sure! I wish I hadn't changed routers becasue I had everything working before but I kept getting drops with the Linksys. Hopefully we can get this sorted out!

It sas it tests from the router to utorrent so I suppose the utorrent address???
Old 2006-09-13, 10:33 AM
TTD Staff
474.39 GB/2.01 TB/4.34

Have you looked your specific router up at portforward.com ? It tells you the order in which you need to do all these things. I believe you need to set up the static IP on your computer first (didn't you do that when you had your linksys?) and then you enter those static IPs into your router and your should be fine. What model do you have.

Old 2006-09-13, 10:53 AM
saveferals
0.00 KB/0.00 KB/---

Quote:
Originally Posted by U2Lynne
Have you looked your specific router up at portforward.com? It tells you the order in which you need to do all these things. I believe you need to set up the static IP on your computer first (didn't you do that when you had your linksys?) and then you enter those static IPs into your router and your should be fine. What model do you have.

DI-524

The D-Link person said to leave the static IP numbers alone?? (The numbers automatically are inputted when I set the IP to static in the router)?? This is so confusing.
Old 2006-09-13, 10:58 AM
saveferals
0.00 KB/0.00 KB/---

One last question before I start:

So I don't need to contact my ISP for the static numbers to set my computers static IP addresses???? I just use IPconfig/all to set them???
I know the computer geek was really telling me not to do it that way???
Old 2006-09-13, 11:05 AM
saveferals
0.00 KB/0.00 KB/---

When I check the port for utorrent (on utorrent) i get this message:

Checking port 15845 on 68.13.179.161

Who's IP is this? When I check my computer it isn't mine!!

The Traders' Den > Where we go to learn ..... > Technobabble