The Traders' Den  

The Traders' Den > Where we go to learn ..... > Technobabble

Notices

Technobabble Post your general Need for Help questions here.
Lossy or Lossless?
Moderators

Old 2005-08-14, 10:57 PM
jenifers
0.00 KB/0.00 KB/---

Icon4 Macintosh

I have a macintosh and haven't used bit torrent, or any type of compression tool in about two years. (I used to have a pc). Currently I have Azureus and xACT downloaded, but I am having problems opening azureus. It will open for about two seconds and then close immediately. I have downloaded entire shows before using azureus, but it seems it does not want to work now. I have deleted it and re-installed it before, but that does not seem to help. Can someone help me out or lead me to another bit torrent program. Also, if there is a better program than xACT (which i actually like a lot) I would be interested in trying it.

Thanks!
Jen
Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote Reply with Nested Quotes
Old 2005-08-14, 11:03 PM
TTD Staff
474.39 GB/2.01 TB/4.34

Re: Macintosh

xACT is the best! Keep up with the latest releases on Scott's yahoogroup xACT-users.

As for Azureus, I used to love that program, but it has caused me problems with some sites since last November. So, I have had to just go back to the no-frills regular bittorrent client. It doesn't have all the bells and whistles that Azureus does, but it works!

Reply With Quote Reply with Nested Quotes
Old 2005-08-14, 11:09 PM
crumpet-stuffer
TTD Staff
87.48 GB/884.33 GB/10.11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy Smurf
I HATE Azureus!
Old 2005-08-14, 11:33 PM
jenifers
0.00 KB/0.00 KB/---

good to know, thanks. i downloaded the regular bittorrent...but it still does the same opening for a few seconds and then closing. do you know what that could be from? It's only happened with my bittorrent programs, nothing else on my computer

jen
Old 2005-08-14, 11:44 PM
TTD Staff
474.39 GB/2.01 TB/4.34

Have you run disc utility on your drive lately? Do you leave your computer on overnight to do the nightly/weekly/monthly maintenance? What OS are you running? When did bt stop working for you?

Old 2005-08-15, 12:24 AM
jenifers
0.00 KB/0.00 KB/---

U2Lynne:
Yes, I ran the disc check about a week ago
No, my computer goes to sleep after about 15 mins of inactivity so it doesn't stay on for extended periods of time
OS X 10.2.8
I'm not sure. The last time I am sure it worked was in March because I have flac files dated from then. I know I have tried using torrent in the past month and it has not worked, but I can't put my finger on an exact week/month when it stopped working. I do remember a time when if I would attempt to open the bt about 7/8/x number of times it would eventually work but it would take a few minutes for it to be happy
Old 2005-08-15, 02:29 AM
56.17 GB/79.27 GB/1.41

I'm afraid the very simple explanation is that Azureus and the current Bit Torrent are both OS X 10.3 minimum. Bits on Wheels is the same which leaves only Tomato Torrent available to you.

If you do get the opportunity to upgrade then I recommend that you do. Tiger I'm not hugely impressed by but Panther is a great improvement on 10.2.

Black Keys - I Got Mine
Tintern Abbey - Vacuum Cleaner
Old 2005-08-15, 11:25 AM
TTD Staff
474.39 GB/2.01 TB/4.34

I was wondering if it was an OS thing, which is why I threw those questions at her.

Go to versiontracker.com and you can get older versions of those applications that should work on your OS.

BitTorrent3.3a
Azureus 2.2.0.2

Old 2005-08-17, 05:55 PM
jenifers
0.00 KB/0.00 KB/---

awesome, thanks so much....i never would have thought to look at those two things. Hopefully I can get the newest upgrade on my machine this weekend from my brother, but we'll see till then.

The Traders' Den > Where we go to learn ..... > Technobabble