The Traders' Den  

The Traders' Den > Where we go to learn ..... > Technobabble

Notices

Technobabble Post your general Need for Help questions here.
Lossy or Lossless?
Moderators

Old 2008-04-12, 08:32 PM
267.30 GB/188.88 GB/0.71

Unhappy Invalid torrents and other tall tales . . .

Greets to all . . . just today while attempting to download a torrent, u-torrent reports that it cannot as the torrent is invalid . . . so, as a test i tried another and got the same result . . . i am using winxp pro sp2 (up to date), 1.5GB mem and u-torrent 1.7.7 build 8179 (latest) . . . this is entirely new and i am able to download torrents from other sites w/o any concern . . . any ideas and/or suggestions would be greatly appreciated . . . thanks to all.
Reply With Quote Reply with Nested Quotes
Old 2008-04-12, 08:55 PM
On the Beach
666.18 GB/1.29 TB/1.99

Re: Invalid torrents and other tall tales . . .

something happened to your web browser
to fix: control panel > Internet Options > Advanced Tab > Reset

or try Firefox or another browser as a test.
there seem to be some internet gremlins about.
Old 2008-04-12, 09:15 PM
267.30 GB/188.88 GB/0.71

Yes . . .totally spaced re: firefox . . . will definitely try . . . is Opera still in biz?!?! . . . and thanks for advice re: IE
Old 2008-04-12, 09:21 PM
267.30 GB/188.88 GB/0.71

direwolf . . . i am not worthy!! . . . the IE reset worked, well, like a reset oughta! . . . which is somewhat at odds with Microsoft philosophy regarding usability, but whatever, it works . . . kudos and happy trading
Old 2008-04-12, 10:15 PM
TTD Staff
474.39 GB/2.01 TB/4.34

Mr Wolf to the rescue again.....

Old 2008-04-16, 09:29 AM
599.34 GB/858.33 GB/1.43

Quote:
Originally Posted by imglocked View Post
Greets to all . . . just today while attempting to download a torrent, u-torrent reports that it cannot as the torrent is invalid . . . so, as a test i tried another and got the same result . . . i am using winxp pro sp2 (up to date), 1.5GB mem and u-torrent 1.7.7 build 8179 (latest) . . . this is entirely new and i am able to download torrents from other sites w/o any concern . . . any ideas and/or suggestions would be greatly appreciated . . . thanks to all.
I have a similar issue. I can dld from other sites (Bit Tornado 3.0), but for the last month I get error messages from TTD ("Bad file Info" is the latest).

What I needed to do to dld was to restart the computer and then everything is OK, but this morning it did not do the trick!

I had previously reset my internet explorer as outlined above, unplugged the dsl connection etc, any help is appreciated!
Old 2008-04-16, 07:57 PM
599.34 GB/858.33 GB/1.43

I switched to firefox, that did the trick. Fingers crossed.
Old 2008-04-23, 06:02 PM
506.86 GB/831.37 GB/1.64

Not that I want to hold MS blameless, but I think I should add that while Firefox does work, the problem isn't restricted to IE - I now get an "Invalid torrent" error when I try to download directly from uTorrent as well. (Of course, it might be that uTorrent is making use of an IE component that's been recently "updated".) And the problem does seem to only occur on Trader's Den and Tapecity.

Windows XP Pro SP2, IE 7, uTorrent 1.7.7

P.S. Sorry for the crappy ratio - it's a temporary anomaly.
Old 2008-04-23, 07:00 PM
TTD Staff
474.39 GB/2.01 TB/4.34

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgutter View Post
Not that I want to hold MS blameless, but I think I should add that while Firefox does work, the problem isn't restricted to IE - I now get an "Invalid torrent" error when I try to download directly from uTorrent as well. (Of course, it might be that uTorrent is making use of an IE component that's been recently "updated".) And the problem does seem to only occur on Trader's Den and Tapecity.

Windows XP Pro SP2, IE 7, uTorrent 1.7.7

P.S. Sorry for the crappy ratio - it's a temporary anomaly.
It would really help to get a link to a working and non-working torrent so I can see why some torrents work and others don't. And what do you mean download directly from uTorrent?

Old 2008-04-23, 07:39 PM
506.86 GB/831.37 GB/1.64

Sorry, I should have been clearer. This happens with ALL TTD and Tapecity torrents. And by directly from uTorrent, I mean using its "Add torrent from URL..." feature; when IE7 started failing - which seems to be because it's not downloading the entire torrent - I tried this next and was surprised to see it fail as well.
Old 2008-04-23, 07:58 PM
TTD Staff
474.39 GB/2.01 TB/4.34

You can't add torrent from url from either here or tapecity (or any vbulletin site set up like these). The url is to an attachment.php file which then downloads the torrent. uTorrent will see attachment.php as not being a valid torrent file (which, of course, it isn't).

Old 2008-04-23, 09:12 PM
506.86 GB/831.37 GB/1.64

That shouldn't matter. The link to the php script is simply an HTTP GET request as far as the browser is concerned, and I'm sure uTorrent's "Add torrent fom URL" simply generates that same request. What the server does at its end is its business, as long as it returns a properly crafted set of headers. So the link can be to a file which the web server natively serves, or it can be to a php script that uses an identifier to retrieve a local file and then serve it up.
Old 2008-04-23, 10:14 PM
TTD Staff
474.39 GB/2.01 TB/4.34

It isn't a torrent file that you are calling so uTorrent doesn't know what to do with it. It is a script. But, besides that, when the call is made, it does all sorts of permissions checks to see if you are even allowed to get the file. And, since uTorrent has no cookies set nor does it have a sessionid (one of which is needed by vbulletin), you fail the permission checks and won't be given the torrent file anyway - just a No Permissions error in the script. This is the reason why you can't automatically grab torrents using Azureus also.

Old 2008-04-23, 10:33 PM
506.86 GB/831.37 GB/1.64

Lynne, I'll bow to your knowledge of the inner workings of the php script (though as I said, nothing on the client side cares whether it's "calling" a file or a script).

Interesting note: I'm seeing an HTTP response code of 206 (partial content) sent back to IE7 rather than 200 (OK). Not necessarily wrong, just unexpected.
Old 2008-04-27, 09:29 AM
11.51 GB/14.63 GB/1.27

I have tried in vain to donwload any show from TTD and I get
the "Invalid Torrent" message. Everything I have done is not fixing the problem. Any suggestions?

Thanks
Dave

The Traders' Den > Where we go to learn ..... > Technobabble