The Traders' Den  

The Traders' Den > Where we go to learn ..... > Technobabble

Notices

Technobabble Post your general Need for Help questions here.
Lossy or Lossless?
Moderators

Old 2005-03-16, 06:46 PM
VH NEW ORLEANS 7/13/78
118.51 GB/224.41 GB/1.89

Re: I retracked a show!

Yup, I've already tried cutting using a .cue sheet with EAC, and it still doesn't work to perfection. There's always a couple of tracks where SBE's are introduced. And I still don't understand why.
Reply With Quote Reply with Nested Quotes
Old 2005-03-16, 07:35 PM
uhclem
0.00 KB/0.00 KB/---

The only track that can end up with an SBE if you cut it via EAC with a cue sheet is the last track. The time syntax used in cue sheets is always sector aligned.

If the Big Wave File that you are cutting into tracks is not sector aligned itself then the last track will always have an SBE on it. This is the case with CD Wave too. That is why you commonly find sets that have an SBE on the end of each disc. Use shntool to pad the end of the last track.

Perhaps the sector align feature of FLAC can also do it, but I don't know.

Five: I can show you how to use EAC for cutting wave files when I get a bit more free time.
Old 2005-03-16, 09:19 PM
923.61 MB/96.22 MB/0.10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Five
really? how do you do that? I'd love to learn if you'd be so kind.
When you select "Process WAV" from the Tools menu, it opens the WAV editor. If you select a random point and then select "CD Sector Alignment" from the Edit menu (in the WAV editor), you'll see your cursor jump (if it's not already positioned correctly) to a frame boundary. I'll assume that's what you're asking. There are also tools to remove or add null samples.
Old 2005-03-16, 09:22 PM
923.61 MB/96.22 MB/0.10

Lou,

I'd be more concerned with incurring a DAE generation by recording on the standalone before I worried about SBE's. Can't you record to hard disk, do your edits and then compress to FLAC ?, or does your computer lack a CD burner ?
Old 2005-03-17, 12:40 AM
Champion of the Silent
TTD VIP
727.47 GB/6.80 TB/9.57

Lou - even if you had to pay for CD Wave, surely the few dollars involved would be worth the savings in time and effort. Not to mention wasted audio CDR's.
Old 2005-03-17, 05:09 AM
189.30 GB/594.78 GB/3.14

The sector align feature of FLAC frontend will automatically strip all FLACs created of all non-canonical header data (this is good) and also will pad the final track of the files in its batch list.

Okay, maybe I can just bug you for a few hints uhclem. I can see an option for splitting a WAV using a cue sheet, but which option do I use?
  • With Gaps
  • With Gaps Corrected
  • Leave Out Gaps
  • Individual Indicies
Attached Images
File Type: gif eacsplit1.gif
( 26.1 KB, 73 views)

thetradersden.org | ttd recommended free software/freeware webring
shntool tlh eac foobar2000 spek audacity cdwave vlc

Quote:
Originally posted by oxymoron
Here you are in a place of permanent madness, be careful!
Old 2005-03-17, 05:10 AM
189.30 GB/594.78 GB/3.14

also, what is the best way to generate a cue sheet for this purpose? I want to split a big WAV into tracks without SBEs.

Quote:
Old 2005-03-17, 10:30 AM
uhclem
0.00 KB/0.00 KB/---

You make the cue sheet yourself the way wazoo suggested. Open up the wave file in the wave editor, insert an edit point, select align on sector boundary, save the cue sheet, then repeat for each track start.

Once the cue sheet is completed I always cut the tracks using 'select individual indices'.
Old 2005-03-17, 10:43 AM
uhclem
0.00 KB/0.00 KB/---

Ignore the previous message as I didn't edit it in time.

You make the cue sheet yourself the way wazoo suggested. Once you've opened the wave file in the wave editor, do the following:
  1. select CUE Sheet > Create new cue sheet
  2. Now place the cursor at the start of track 2
  3. select EDIT > CD sector adjustment
  4. select CUE Sheet > Insert > Track start
  5. select CUE Sheet > Save Cue Sheet ( I do this after every track start is made)
  6. rinse and repeat
Once the cue sheet is completed I always cut the tracks using 'select individual indices'.

Strictly speaking you don't have to select CD sector adjustment since cue sheet syntax automatically places edit points on a sector boundary, i.e. the spot you have picked will be rounded to the nearest sector boundary when you insert it into the cue sheet. But I do it anyway so that I can get a look at exactly where the track will begin (and just to be safe).
Old 2005-03-17, 06:25 PM
189.30 GB/594.78 GB/3.14

thanks so much, I'll try this out!

Quote:
Old 2005-03-18, 08:46 AM
VH NEW ORLEANS 7/13/78
118.51 GB/224.41 GB/1.89

Quote:
Originally Posted by wazoo2u
Lou,

I'd be more concerned with incurring a DAE generation by recording on the standalone before I worried about SBE's. Can't you record to hard disk, do your edits and then compress to FLAC ?, or does your computer lack a CD burner ?
With all due respect I have no desire to buy all the high-end sound card and computer equipment necessary to get the same quality you can from a standalone. I have an inexpensive, run of the mill Dell computer with a bargain basement Intel integrated sound card that sucks. No matter what I did I could never get the files to have the audio intensity that I like. There'd always be a lot of blue in the spectral analysis which convinced me that I had to get a standalone or new computer equipment to make things better.

My opinion is that a standalone burner gives you superior quality, even if it does record on a disc. I find the whole idea of computer transfers to be a complete pain in the ass. I think it's simpler to go from the tape deck to a component completely separate from any computer.

If a standalone CD burner isn't good enough for this site because it requires that the audio be burned to a CD instead of copied to a hard drive, I throw up my hands and give up as it seems I just can't win.

If someone wants to release a master copy of an older show, are you going to complain if it was transferred with a standalone?
Old 2005-03-18, 10:05 AM
189.30 GB/594.78 GB/3.14

hey, if your standalone sounds better than your stock soundcard then that's your choice to make. I would prefer to do a direct transfer to HD, because that's how I can get the best sound at my house.

Quote:

Last edited by Five; 2005-03-18 at 01:54 PM.
Old 2005-03-18, 12:57 PM
h_vargas
0.00 KB/0.00 KB/---

Lou - you raise some good points. for me, i think it's easier (and faster) to just record to my PC, because i eliminate the time it takes to extract the WAV files from the CD. with using a standalone CD recorder or with recording to PC, the transfer itself from analog to digital is still real time. and you still have to separate tracks at some point. (well, i guess you don't, but separate tracks for separate songs seems pretty standard.) so to me, it seems quicker to eliminate the time to use EAC to perform DAE. but i can understand where you're coming from. obviously, each person should use the best method(s) possible for transfers if they even remotely care about the quality, so kudos to you for not using the internal/integrated soundcard in your Dell PC.

if you use a standalone CD recorder, one thing to check out is the S/N ratio of the unit... if it's above about -75 dB, then you're actually adding in audible noise to the recording... which is like adding an analog generation to it. there are some consumer standalone recorders - i'm pretty sure there are Sony models in this respect - that have S/N ratios at -74 dB which is barely acceptable (IMO). of course, if you have something like an HHB 880, then that would work quite well for transferring analog tapes to CDR.

anyway, happy transferring!
Old 2005-03-18, 01:27 PM
dare to discover
63.44 GB/133.91 GB/2.11

Hey! This thread started out being all about ME!!! Now it's all about Lou.

Boo hoo.

Old 2005-03-18, 01:33 PM
Champion of the Silent
TTD VIP
727.47 GB/6.80 TB/9.57

Quote:
Originally Posted by feralicious
Hey! This thread started out being all about ME!!! Now it's all about Lou.

Boo hoo.
sniveller

The Traders' Den > Where we go to learn ..... > Technobabble