The Traders' Den  

The Traders' Den > Where we go to learn ..... > Technobabble

Notices

Technobabble Post your general Need for Help questions here.
Lossy or Lossless?
Moderators

Old 2007-09-28, 02:36 PM
93.55 GB/101.24 GB/1.08

Which format should i use to burn?

Hi,

i want to burn a data DVD with the VIDEO_TS folder of a show i downloaded and an EXTRAS_TS folder with miscellaneous data. Which format should i use to burn it? UDF, ISO9660 or UDF+ISO9660? I want to make a decision that would allow me to burn the most compatible DVD to play in a standalone player (Sony DVP-NS575P.) I'm using NTI CD/DVD Maker (software that came bundled with my DVD burner.)

Peace & thanks,

Roblov.
Reply With Quote Reply with Nested Quotes
Old 2007-09-28, 03:30 PM
Greedy Corporation
TTD Staff
73.48 GB/423.76 GB/5.77

Re: Which format should i use to burn?

Do you want to burn a "data" DVD to backup your files or do you want to burn a DVD you can play in your DVD player? Two different things.
Old 2007-09-28, 03:45 PM
189.30 GB/594.78 GB/3.14

^he's talking about a playable DVD which also includes the EXTRAS_TS folder containing txt, artwork, md5 stuff. I make them all the time in Nero using data ("ISO") mode when burning. But I don't know how to do it with the NTI software.

thetradersden.org | ttd recommended free software/freeware webring
shntool tlh eac foobar2000 spek audacity cdwave vlc

Quote:
Originally posted by oxymoron
Here you are in a place of permanent madness, be careful!
Old 2007-09-28, 03:52 PM
Greedy Corporation
TTD Staff
73.48 GB/423.76 GB/5.77

I use Nero as well and just select "DVD Video" and then create an EXTRAS_TS folder. I've never selected ISO but there are probably several ways to do it. Don't know abou NTI either.
Old 2007-09-28, 03:57 PM
TTD Staff
474.39 GB/2.01 TB/4.34

I'm on a Mac, but when I burn a playable DVD with an EXTRAS_TS folder, I pick the Data option and then the DVD-ROM (UDF) option under that. I would think it would be similar for a PC.

Old 2007-09-28, 04:03 PM
189.30 GB/594.78 GB/3.14

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcbullet
I use Nero as well and just select "DVD Video" and then create an EXTRAS_TS folder. I've never selected ISO but there are probably several ways to do it.
I avoid burning DVDs with Nero in Video mode because it often alters the ifo and bup files for no reason that anybody here has been able to understand.

Quote:
Old 2007-09-29, 12:04 AM
93.55 GB/101.24 GB/1.08

The thing i still don't understand (among others) is this: if all DVDs are data disks, why do burning software programs offer the chance to make "Video DVDs" and "Data DVDs". Aren't they all data DVDs?

Thanks,

Roblov.
Old 2007-09-29, 07:00 AM
Lockout here
561.93 GB/871.08 GB/1.55

Lightbulb Re: Which format should i use to burn?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Five
I avoid burning DVDs with Nero in Video mode because it often alters the ifo and bup files for no reason that anybody here has been able to understand.
Understand Nero corrects ifo/bup files which have incorrect information on files allocation structure on a DVD disc or/and file size - to fully comply with DVD standard.

The error is caused by a cheap/crap authoring software and some standalone recorders.

In such case people should not worry that MD5 won't match as *.VOB files stay untouched and they are the most important as they contain video and audio stream.

Please note that some players (i.e. Sony) won't recognise a DVD video disc burnt in UDF mode.
Old 2007-09-30, 02:03 PM
93.55 GB/101.24 GB/1.08

Quote:
Originally Posted by pawel
Understand Nero corrects ifo/bup files which have incorrect information on files allocation structure on a DVD disc or/and file size - to fully comply with DVD standard.

The error is caused by a cheap/crap authoring software and some standalone recorders.

In such case people should not worry that MD5 won't match as *.VOB files stay untouched and they are the most important as they contain video and audio stream.

Please note that some players (i.e. Sony) won't recognise a DVD video disc burnt in UDF mode.
So, if i burn my DVD disc with the EXTRAS_TS folder using the iso9660 file format, do you think it should play on my Sony DVD player?

Peace & thanks,

Roblov.
Old 2007-10-01, 01:00 AM
Lockout here
561.93 GB/871.08 GB/1.55

Icon4 Re: Which format should i use to burn?

Roblov,
I explained you two times that Sony (and some other players) won't read disc burn in non VIDEO mode, and that in Nero Burning ROM DVD-VIDEO mode you can burn additional files and folders - they only have to be stored outside VIDEO_TS and AUDIO_TS folder.

See attached screenshot.

Last edited by pawel; 2007-12-18 at 01:05 PM.
Old 2007-10-01, 09:46 AM
93.55 GB/101.24 GB/1.08

Quote:
Originally Posted by pawel
Roblov,
I explained you two times that Sony (and some other players) won't read disc burn in non VIDEO mode, and that in Nero Burning ROM DVD-VIDEO mode you can burn additional files and folders - they only have to be stored outside VIDEO_TS and AUDIO_TS folder.

See attached screenshot.
Well, i have made a data DVD that played in my Sony DVD player. In that disc the VIDEO_TS folder was inside another folder called DVD1 and some other files/folders were also present at the root level. From what i've read in the net, some players may have difficulties playing DVDs burned with an UDF file system v1.50 (it doesn't seem to matter if they are data DVDs or video DVDs.) The data DVD that didn't play in my player used UDF v1.50, so that may be the problem. That conflicts with what you suggest (that Sony players only play discs burned in Video DVD mode.) From my expiriences, Sony players can play data DVDs. The only issue is that, at least some of them, can't play disc burned with UDF v1.50. Maybe they can play discs burned with UDF v1.02.

On another note, i think you should have some more patience with people like me, who are trying to find an answer to their problems and asking politely for suggestions. I'm not dumb, i can understand what you say perfectly, the only thing that happens is that some things are not as straightforward or simple as you seem to believe. Anyway, i thank you and all the rest for taking the time to answer my questions. You do it out of your own will and i appreciate it. I hope you understand that i don't mean to offend you.

Peace & thanks,

Roblov.
Old 2007-10-01, 11:17 AM
189.30 GB/594.78 GB/3.14

maybe its the folder-inside-a-folder that's throwing it off. my LG standalone player can handle that but probably not the safest thing for 'sensitive' players. A friend of mine has an old Toshiba that only accepts empty AUDIO_TS and VIDEO_TS then if you EXTRAS_TS it rejects it. Also, I keep the title of the disc in caps with no irregular characters or spaces (underscores acceptable).

Quote:
Old 2007-10-01, 12:48 PM
93.55 GB/101.24 GB/1.08

Quote:
Originally Posted by Five
maybe its the folder-inside-a-folder that's throwing it off. my LG standalone player can handle that but probably not the safest thing for 'sensitive' players. A friend of mine has an old Toshiba that only accepts empty AUDIO_TS and VIDEO_TS then if you EXTRAS_TS it rejects it. Also, I keep the title of the disc in caps with no irregular characters or spaces (underscores acceptable).
What i meant is that the disc that contained a folder inside a folder played without problems. What i believe, after doing some tests, is that my Sony DVD player has an issue with DVD discs burned using UDF v. 1.50 file format. It seems that it doesn't matter if the disc made is a data DVD or a video DVD.

Peace & thanks,

Roblov.
Old 2007-10-01, 03:14 PM
93.55 GB/101.24 GB/1.08

Smile Re: Which format should i use to burn?

Ok, i did what i wanted after all. I've downloaded the latest version of ImgBurn (2.3.2.0, released 12th April 2007) from http://www.imgburn.com/ and then i followed the guide on http://forum.imgburn.com/index.php?showtopic=4632. It seems to me that the difference this program made is that it offers the option to burn the Video DVD disc with a "ISO9660+UDF" file system. This gives greater compatibility in the case when the DVD player cannot read a UDF v1.50 file system by using the other one. The disc i just burned has the following structure:

/ (Root of DVD disc filesystem)
|---->AUDIO_TS (just for compatibility with other DVD players, not needed in mine.)
|---->VIDEO_TS (movie)
|---->EXTRAS_TS (artwork folder, checksums, info files.)

I'm glad i worked it out and that's why i'm giving this back to you all as a way of saying "thank you".

Greetings,

Roblov.
Old 2007-10-01, 03:55 PM
TTD Staff
474.39 GB/2.01 TB/4.34

Thanks for following through with a fix!

The Traders' Den > Where we go to learn ..... > Technobabble