The Traders' Den  

The Traders' Den > Where we go to learn ..... > Technobabble

Notices

Technobabble Post your general Need for Help questions here.
Lossy or Lossless?
Moderators

Old 2007-03-02, 07:46 AM
Andrew Perrin
0.00 KB/0.00 KB/---

Download Size Question....

Hello,
I am totally new to torrnet files and all that comes with it, anyway my question is....

i am currently downloading a torrent file. The file size is 13.9GB (the Beatles AB Session)

So far i have downloaded roughly 25%. When i open the containing folder, the file size downloaded so far is around 10GB how can this be?

So, i have downloaded 1/4 of the torrent and it has taken up 10GB, does this mean that the full size is 40GB?

However, the program i am using to download the torrent shows that i have downloaded around 4GB, which makes more sense....

Is it me!?
Can someone give me anykind of advice on this!?
Andrew
Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote Reply with Nested Quotes
Old 2007-03-02, 08:57 AM
473.95 GB/532.25 GB/1.12

Re: Download Size Question....

What your seeing is completely normal for bitTorrent. Your torrent client (or maybe the operating system) is pre-allocating space on your hard drive for each file it starts downloading in the torrent.
Reply With Quote Reply with Nested Quotes
Old 2007-03-15, 10:14 AM
508.33 GB/444.16 GB/0.87

Unhappy Re: Download Size Question....

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanielG
What your seeing is completely normal for bitTorrent. Your torrent client (or maybe the operating system) is pre-allocating space on your hard drive for each file it starts downloading in the torrent.
I've got the same problem (I think it's a problem), with the Dylan and the Hawks "Jewels and Binoculars" torrent. It's 4.26 GB total, but I've been downloading really slow (0-10 kb/sec) for a week and a half, and am at about 80%, and I've downloaded 9 or 10GB already, uploaded more than 10 GB. I haven't checked the file size in windows explorer yet, but have never seen this happen on a torrent before. What's going on? I don't understand how pre-allocation is going on, how why, etc. If it is just pre-allocating space, isn't it doing so incorrectly? I hate to not be able to use the downloaded data after spending 2 weeks to get it. Hope it's all good when it's done downloading 15 GB (or whatever) of a 4.26 GB torrent!!!

Reply With Quote Reply with Nested Quotes

The Traders' Den > Where we go to learn ..... > Technobabble