The Traders' Den  

The Traders' Den > Where we go to learn ..... > Technobabble

Notices

Technobabble Post your general Need for Help questions here.
Lossy or Lossless?
Moderators

Old 2007-05-23, 11:56 PM
89.47 GB/72.15 GB/0.81

vcd>>dvd?

can someone explain to me the big deal about it? if i can convert something from vcd >> dvd, and it looks the same (possibly even better) - where's the loss of quality? is there a big deal if it's traded? if so, why?

I converted a standup insult comedians act, from vcd to dvd, & my friend agreed that the dvd looked slightly better than the vcd - so where's the loss in quality? if it's watchable, what the fuck does it matter?

"i lost two things that night - my teeth & my peace of mind. - Florence Holway *
Reply With Quote Reply with Nested Quotes
Old 2007-05-24, 12:08 AM
Trainwreckin' Fool
615.69 GB/3.17 TB/5.27

Re: vcd>>dvd?

dont do it dont do it...

vcd =
352x240 - ntsc
352x288 - pal

svcd
480x480 - ntsc
480x576 - pal

dvd
720x480 - ntsc
720x576 - pal

computer has to create a lot of pixels. even the best computer is terrible at it. on a sd tv, you probably cant tell, on a hi-def you can, esp if it could be recaptured from an analog source at higher resolution. anywho, ive done a lil video in my time, its just not a good idea. for personal use, sure, just dont torrent em, trade me, etc. besides, vcd will play in your dvd, so no need, less media cost.

edit:

after i finished reading, i decided i had more to add...

now, if you/your friends are thinking reconverted vcd>dvd looks better on the tv (sd or otherwise)... your pc can create pixels better than your dvd player can, so a vcd will look shittier on a hdtv playing on a dvd player than the same film, except converted vcd>dvd, because your dvd player doesnt have to make up the pixels...

Meatwad: I thought you said TV was bad.
Frylock: It is. But we fucking need it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by general eclectic
There's a big difference between getting trashed and disappearing.

Last edited by trustthex; 2007-05-24 at 12:12 AM. Reason: further clarification
Old 2007-05-24, 12:16 AM
Recording/Mastering Engineer
775.22 GB/3.83 TB/5.05

Re: vcd>>dvd? bad bad bad idea!

I'm not sure about less cost (I'm paying about half as much for blank DVDs as I am for CDRs), but there's no point bloating the data from 700mb to 4.7gb...
A VCD will play in most DVD players as said, so why make it so large a file for no need?
Old 2007-05-24, 12:32 AM
89.47 GB/72.15 GB/0.81

Quote:
Originally Posted by trustthex
dont do it dont do it...

vcd =
352x240 - ntsc
352x288 - pal

svcd
480x480 - ntsc
480x576 - pal

dvd
720x480 - ntsc
720x576 - pal

computer has to create a lot of pixels. even the best computer is terrible at it. on a sd tv, you probably cant tell, on a hi-def you can, esp if it could be recaptured from an analog source at higher resolution. anywho, ive done a lil video in my time, its just not a good idea. for personal use, sure, just dont torrent em, trade me, etc. besides, vcd will play in your dvd, so no need, less media cost.

edit:

after i finished reading, i decided i had more to add...

now, if you/your friends are thinking reconverted vcd>dvd looks better on the tv (sd or otherwise)... your pc can create pixels better than your dvd player can, so a vcd will look shittier on a hdtv playing on a dvd player than the same film, except converted vcd>dvd, because your dvd player doesnt have to make up the pixels...
Quote:
A VCD will play in most DVD players as said, so why make it so large a file for no need?
thanks for the response, guys.

I've never been able to get a VCD to play in any of my DVD players. Maybe I am mistaken what a VCD is? Is it .avi, .mpg, .wmv files? or is it something else?

I hadn't planned on torrenting them, but trading I did. The other stuff is for personal use & since I could never get the VCDS to play, I found it necessary to change it to a dvd.

I'm new to the video world, so I'm just trying to understand everything. It's easier to be able to ask questions then search the info online.. I always end up in circles.

"i lost two things that night - my teeth & my peace of mind. - Florence Holway *
Old 2007-05-24, 12:53 AM
1.13 TB/1.70 TB/1.51

vcd is mpeg look here
http://www.videohelp.com/vcd

Quote:
Originally posted by frankenberry
anybody else who decides to call me a fuckhead troll newbie (you know who you are) should be made to listen to phish bootleg taped by a '73 led zeppelin taper
Old 2007-05-24, 03:46 AM
Lockout here
561.93 GB/871.08 GB/1.55

Some DVD authoring programmes, like TMPGEnc DVD Author, can preserve original VCD resolution so the source video is not degraded. However, audio must always be converted and the process is lossy for the already lossy source. Thus if a music material is concerned it's better to stay with original VCD source.
Old 2007-05-24, 10:18 AM
TTD Staff
474.39 GB/2.01 TB/4.34

There is nothing wrong with converting the show to DVD for your own personal use. The problem though is when you trade it out. The person you trade it to then continues to trade it out and suddenly somebody says "I've got a DVD of the show and everyone else only has the VCD" and then they go torrent it 'pretending' it is a DVD, not really a VCD converted to a DVD (I've got a couple of those - grrrr!).

It's like you downloading some mp3s and then converting them to wav and burning them to CD to play on your stereo or in your car. Then you trade that CDR and suddenly it shows up on a torrent site and then it gets pulled for being lossy and the seeder says 'but the guy I got it from said it wasn't from mp3!' (or similar).

Old 2007-05-24, 12:14 PM
Sleeping Colorless Green Ideas
TTD VIP
411.55 GB/18.82 TB/46.84

Quote:
Originally Posted by newtdecay
...what is a VCD? Is it .avi, .mpg, .wmv files?
The simple answer is that it is an mpeg1 format, where as a DVD is mpeg2.
Old 2007-05-24, 02:21 PM
the non-nuclear Homer Simpson
202.13 GB/314.80 GB/1.56

newt....wiki mpeg1 and mpeg2 plus vcd and dvd to get the whole story. You'll understand the differences between them all after reading.

Also use http://www.videohelp.com/ for tons of help regarding all shit regarding DVD.

Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
I hear the Rape is lovely this time of year.
Quote:
hey man if nobody else has helped you out, i can continue to ignore you too

The Traders' Den > Where we go to learn ..... > Technobabble