The Traders' Den  

The Traders' Den > Where we go to learn ..... > Technobabble

Notices

Technobabble Post your general Need for Help questions here.
Lossy or Lossless?
Moderators

Old 2006-01-19, 02:07 PM
261.58 GB/232.92 GB/0.89

Re: port forwarding help (WinXP/Versalink327W) PLEASE?

I went ahead and did what I proposed above^^

I again, connected to a torrent on this site. It started up, the speed seemingly got decent, espessially since there were not leechers off of me. My numbers were black and all. I tried to connect to the TV show torrent I wanted and it just will not start up. I don't know what the difference is between torrents on places like here and etree and the other types of places. This one was from torrentportal. I don't normally d/l TV shows or any sketchier downloads but this sho is not available here and not available on region 1 dvd yet but I want to see season two. Maybe torrentportal doesn't allow traffic to the 6881 range ports? Any ideas?
Reply With Quote Reply with Nested Quotes
Old 2006-01-19, 02:12 PM
37.97 GB/36.00 GB/0.95

Quote:
Originally Posted by cleantone
so I should go to my network connection properties and switch "use the following IP address:" and go back to "obtain automatically"?
No you shouldn't.

Think of it this way... Your computer is connecting to your router, and your router is connecting to your modem. The ip address that is assigned by your isp to your modem (the one that connects you to the internet and changes frequently) is connecting you to the internet. The *local* ip address (the one that you assign to your network configurations and needs to be static) is connecting your computer to your router. If you have this address set to "obtain automatically", then the next time it obtains an ip address to connect to your router, it most likely won't be the address that you have the ports forwarded on.

With my router, the default setting for how many dynamic ip address it can choose from is 50, and the starting address ends in 100 (the first digits cannot be changed). So that means the addresses ending with 100-150 can't be used as a static ip address, because they are reserved for dynamic switching. So I chose an address that ended with 151 to be my static ip address.

Hopefully that helps, but I can't explain it very well.

EDIT:
Quote:
I tried to connect to the TV show torrent I wanted and it just will not start up. I don't know what the difference is between torrents on places like here and etree and the other types of places
Many sites do not allow traffic on ports 6881-6889, or any other blacklisted ports.
Old 2006-01-19, 02:20 PM
261.58 GB/232.92 GB/0.89

and "host device" should be a single IP address right?
Old 2006-01-19, 02:27 PM
261.58 GB/232.92 GB/0.89

I trashed the .torrent file from this TV show and re d/l it. This is on the PC. On my Mac I have 56% of it d/l but it took all week. I got it to connect but so far it is floating 4-6K/B down. The fact that it connects probably tells me that torrentportal dot com does not blacklist these ports right? I know there is only 3-4 seeders at this time, so it the slow speed could be fro mthier connections as of now. Hopefully it will fluctuate upward. When it was all screwed up I was only getting 2/k anyway.

I changed the network connection setting back to a paticular IP. Will see what happens from here.

I commend all who have the sticktuitivness to help me out. I dig this new PC and XP but not the issues that came with it.
Old 2006-05-21, 10:31 AM
261.58 GB/232.92 GB/0.89

FUCK!! It has happened again. Out of the blue I am firewalled again and going through all the steps I cannot get it worked out. The only thing that I am questioning is the IP. I have my TCP/IP set to manually and a certain IP for my mac. But when I go to whatsmyip.com it doesn't tell me that I am the one I specified. Would this be the reason I'm firewalled? I have the routers/firewall/client seemingly configured properly but cannot get the shit going? Think is is my ISP perhaps? I am trying 49152-49153 for port ranges. Should I try another? Any suggestions?
Old 2006-05-21, 10:36 AM
TTD Staff
474.39 GB/2.01 TB/4.34

The IP you should be forwarding for yourself will look like "192.168.1.xxx". You can find out what your IP is by going to System Preferences > Network and then it will say it next to Built-in Ethernet: "Built-in ethernet is currently active and has the IP address 192.168.1.xxx. etc."

Old 2006-05-21, 10:40 AM
261.58 GB/232.92 GB/0.89

Yeah. I do have one like that. The one that I have used for a long time. I have my router and client set for the 192.168.1.## that I have told my TCP/IP to manually use. When I use an online IP checker it tells me I am some other random number. I know ISP's change up the IP now and then but I thought if you tell the TCP/IP to use one in paticular that it does just that. Should what'smyip dot com being showing me 192.168.1.##?
Old 2006-05-21, 10:43 AM
261.58 GB/232.92 GB/0.89

I just fired up the house PC and I am not firewalled on it. Connected to a torrent here and not only did the red FIREWALLED message go away but it ramped right up to max speed right away. I have gotten my mac to work fine at the same time as the house PC. Various times it has gone from fine to not fine for no apparent reason. I change nothing but all of a sudden and firewalled. I can't deduce why.
Old 2006-05-21, 11:04 AM
TTD Staff
474.39 GB/2.01 TB/4.34

Hmmm, strange.

The IP you have assigned to your computer is a local IP number. Each computer in your house should have a different one. That is how your router can tell when information comes in, which computer to send it to - you don't want The Babe thread to end up displayed on your wife's computer, nor do you want her Hunk thread to show up on yours! When you go to whatsmyip to see what your IP is, that is the actually IP that your ISP has assigned to you. It is the one that will show up under your name in the Peers List.

Old 2006-05-21, 11:11 AM
261.58 GB/232.92 GB/0.89

Thanks for trying to help.

I wanted to test the ip cause I was pretty certain when I connect to a torrent it displays the one I have selected, 192.168.1.XX (one digit higher than the PC). I does show that one. Not the one that whatsmyip dot com shows me, which is 71.127.5.XX for some reason. I connected to a nirvana torrent and though my IP is in (red) the big red FIREWALLED on the top right went away. The torrent ramped up right away too. WTF?!?
Old 2006-05-21, 11:24 AM
TTD Staff
474.39 GB/2.01 TB/4.34

If the Peers List is showing the 192.168.1.xxx IP, then you must have it input into your bittorrent client. That may cause your stats to not update also.

Old 2006-05-21, 11:27 AM
261.58 GB/232.92 GB/0.89

Quote:
If the Peers List is showing the 192.168.1.xxx IP, then you must have it input into your bittorrent client. That may cause your stats to not update also.
What does this mean? I do have the ip in my client. I want that right?

I am a mod on a band's forum and can look up ip's. I looked at my own and none of them from the past have ever been 192.168.1.XX
Old 2006-05-21, 11:33 AM
TTD Staff
474.39 GB/2.01 TB/4.34

Well, when I look up your IP for your posts, I do not get the 192.168.1.xxx number and I shouldn't. I should, and do, get the IP that your ISP gave to you. However, some bittorrent clients have a spot that says something like "Input the IP you want people to see". You should not put anything in there. That is the IP that it will tell the tracker you are at. However, the tracker only has access to our IP database and that keeps track of the IP that you logon to the site from, which is not 192.168.1.xxx. So, the tracker sees someone on torrents from 192.168.1.xxx and it doesn't know who that person is and so it will not update your stats.

Old 2006-05-21, 11:40 AM
261.58 GB/232.92 GB/0.89

Oh I see. Am I not supposed to having my computer on one specific IP? Static IP? I thought I was. I thought by having my Mac's TCP/IP set to manually and plugging in 192.168.1.XX it was using this IP to connect to the net.
Old 2006-05-21, 11:44 AM
261.58 GB/232.92 GB/0.89

BINGO!! Seems to have been the problem. I wonder how the hell I had it working before like that? I am not getting (green) so I must be all set right? I checked at Bootcity and it also said I am green and connectable.

All set you think? Much thanks yet again.

The Traders' Den > Where we go to learn ..... > Technobabble