The Traders' Den  

The Traders' Den > Where we go to learn ..... > Technobabble

Notices

Technobabble Post your general Need for Help questions here.
Lossy or Lossless?
Moderators

Old 2004-11-22, 08:47 AM
Renegade Geek
10.20 GB/20.72 GB/2.03

A New Idea For Remastered Seeds

I am going to be seeding here, as time permits, so more of my remastered old analog sources, but had an idea and wanted to throw it out there for some feedback. I thought it would be a good idea, since so much argument comes out about remastering ruining seeds, to put together some seeds with both the originals and the remastered versions together.

This would not only allow people to critically judge the remastering job that was done, but also discard it in favor of the "untouched" version should they find it more appealing. It would, of course, require twice the download time to do, but seeing as how this is a community of obessive archvists with a handful of people interested in remastering techniques, maybe there would be enough interest for people to download.

I always add very detailed notes with my remasters about what was adjusted, so it might also be a way for people to learn and/or give critical feedback as to my methods.

So....anyone like or hate the idea?
What's never been,
At the ending of life and the coming of death,
Pass not through its gates but into the dark.
Reply With Quote Reply with Nested Quotes
Old 2004-11-22, 09:22 AM
Utterly Bastard Groovy
75.55 GB/92.04 GB/1.22

Re: A New Idea For Remastered Seeds

If the original source is still available - yeah include it. I received the PF Final Cut demos this way where the orignal shn were complemented by the speedcorrected FLAC's which had extensive notes recording the remastering process. So go for it I'd say.
Old 2004-11-22, 10:48 AM
We all walk the Long Road....
75.63 GB/483.42 GB/6.39

sounds like a great idea to me.....
Old 2004-11-22, 11:36 AM
260.98 GB/315.83 GB/1.21

Sounds good. With big torrents 1gb or more it might be better to break it up into two seperate torrents (original and remastered). That way some one who either has bandwidth limitation or just chose to do so can get just one version.
Old 2004-11-22, 12:55 PM
923.61 MB/96.22 MB/0.10

Hmmmm... might be the only way to do it right now, but I'm thinking more along the lines of working in ProTools or Avid, where you can use the plugins to effect a sequence or selection, and then save the original media along with the METADATA instruction set. This would eliminate the "double media" dilemma, but unfortunately, we're not talking about freeware tools.

Alternatively, you could torrent an A/B example, and attach a poll for starters as to which (or both) version(s) should be fully distro'ed.

I have high confidence in your seeds, but I'm kind of speaking about the idea in general, and how it would apply across the board.
Old 2004-11-22, 02:48 PM
Champion of the Silent
TTD VIP
727.47 GB/6.80 TB/9.57

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatoldpig
Sounds good. With big torrents 1gb or more it might be better to break it up into two seperate torrents (original and remastered). That way some one who either has bandwidth limitation or just chose to do so can get just one version.
I agree with this idea
Old 2004-11-22, 04:07 PM
189.30 GB/594.78 GB/3.14

I like it. If the "unremastered" version is widely available it might not be necessary, just a thought.

thetradersden.org | ttd recommended free software/freeware webring
shntool tlh eac foobar2000 spek audacity cdwave vlc

Quote:
Originally posted by oxymoron
Here you are in a place of permanent madness, be careful!
Old 2004-11-22, 04:09 PM
189.30 GB/594.78 GB/3.14

or perhaps seed it as two torrents?

thetradersden.org | ttd recommended free software/freeware webring
shntool tlh eac foobar2000 spek audacity cdwave vlc

Quote:
Originally posted by oxymoron
Here you are in a place of permanent madness, be careful!
Old 2004-11-22, 06:48 PM
20.44 GB/26.56 GB/1.30

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatoldpig
Yes. Those of us behind a router that experience decreased download speeds would also benefit from audio torrents less than one gigabyte. I think the idea is good, but this seems like more of a preference thing - there can be an exception to the rule, as long as both versions were unmodified and of course lossless.
Old 2004-11-22, 08:15 PM
923.61 MB/96.22 MB/0.10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gish05
Yes. Those of us behind a router that experience decreased download speeds would also benefit from audio torrents less than one gigabyte. I think the idea is good, but this seems like more of a preference thing - there can be an exception to the rule, as long as both versions were unmodified and of course lossless.
This site doesn't deal with lossy audio formats (unless there are absolutely no other sources available, and if that is the case, the alternative formats are limited).

There is no reason for you to have limited download speeds because you are using a router. You need to forward your router BT ports so that they pass data to your internal LAN address. See the FAQ and tutorials section of this site.

Bit Torrent download speeds are determined by multiple factors, including the mode of the original seeder and their bandwidth, the number of peers in the swarm, and the state of those peers in terms of firewalling, among other issues. (it gets kind of hoodoo-voodoo, if ya know what I mean ).

I've got absolutely no download speed issues behind my Linksys router, but I'll find that download speeds can vary GREATLY depending on the torrent, anywhere from 1kBps to 250kBps. YMMV.

The Traders' Den > Where we go to learn ..... > Technobabble