The Traders' Den  

The Traders' Den > Where we go to learn ..... > Technobabble

Notices

Technobabble Post your general Need for Help questions here.
Lossy or Lossless?
Moderators

Old 2005-03-09, 01:21 AM
snaimpally
701.28 GB/1.15 TB/1.67

Best way to store all these downloads?

I have only been downloading using Bit Torrent for a few short months and already I am overflowing. I have been using CD Projects (Targus) 92 CD Wallets. I like these because the pages are detachable so you can resort and shuffle stuff without having to take the discs out. For some reason, Targus no longer makes them. I have managed to find some old new stock for now but it got me wondering as to how people deal with this massive storage problem.

I have been converting downloaded audio to CDs so that I can play them in the car and on my stereo. I understand many people store them compressed (shn/flac) on DVD-R. This is great for playing on the computer but won't play in my car. I am open to suggestions!
Reply With Quote Reply with Nested Quotes
Old 2005-03-09, 01:49 AM
h_vargas
0.00 KB/0.00 KB/---

Re: Best way to store all these downloads?

i burn everything i keep to data DVDRs (Taiyo Yuden brand). if i want to listen to an audio cd, i have about a dozen HiSpeed CDRW discs (yes, the rewritable type) that i use for audio listening... they play in my home stereo and in my car cd player. when i want to listen to something else, i just re-use the discs. it's very efficient. i certainly don't want to have double as many discs as i already have.

i store my archived data discs in paper sleeves (not bought, just pieces of paper folded to completely cover the discs), in cardboard boxes. i know, i'm cheap like that. my money goes toward equipment and quality media, not toward storage devices.

well, that's how i do it. i'm sure there are plenty of other ways to do it as well... if you wanted, you could build a massive PC server/storage device with terrabytes of space. i'm sure it'd last at least a month or two.
Old 2005-03-09, 05:54 AM
Columbia, SC
108.77 GB/109.04 GB/1.00

I am thinking of buying a Heavy Duty DJ-Case from DiscSox (two actually). Here is the link:

http://www.discsox.com/dj-cases.htm

I haven't seen anything that store CDs more efficiently. And I will just use inexpensive paper sleeves, not the expensive "Pro Sleeves" they sell.

Anyone have one of these? I'd be interested to know what you think. I don't like the CD book type holders. It takes too long to realphabetize after you've burned a fresh batch of shows.

I have about 1200 CDs and DVDs right now (plus another 400 studio/major label releases).

Rob
Old 2005-03-09, 06:06 AM
I love them redheads!
70.51 GB/140.66 GB/1.99

I archive my shows to CDR or DVD. Office Depot sells some sleeves that are pretty cheap. Then I just put them in shoe boxes or whatever. Nothing fancy.

Hard part is keeping track of what do you and do not have so as to avoid the double download!
Old 2005-03-09, 06:24 AM
We all walk the Long Road....
75.63 GB/483.42 GB/6.39

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMamba
I archive my shows to CDR or DVD. Office Depot sells some sleeves that are pretty cheap. Then I just put them in shoe boxes or whatever. Nothing fancy.

Hard part is keeping track of what do you and do not have so as to avoid the double download!

i do exactly the same thing....
Old 2005-03-09, 06:48 AM
db.etree.org/chachi420
TTD VIP
206.73 GB/1.15 TB/5.72

The best method for CD-Rs is Case Logic. They are more expensive than other books, but they are definitely worth it. I have never had another CD book last as long (and I've gone through several different cheaper types). I will never buy another brand. Currently I have about six 250 CD books that are completely full.

As for my DVD storage, I only use M-Lock DVD cases because they are unquestionably the best. I used to use paper sleeves, but those can cause fingerprints and scratching. Also, with m-lock cases, you can add your coverart from livedvdcovers.org!

"If your share ratio is less than 1.0, then please offer b&ps and/or freebies to give back to the TTD community" ~Chachi
Old 2005-03-09, 07:26 AM
Renegade Geek
10.20 GB/20.72 GB/2.03

I always backup the original lossless files to DVD-R discs. Poke through the FAQ a bit, and you'll see that burning to audio CD and then extracting again causes potential audio problems. In order to make sure I can always reseed or trade the files, I keep them in their original form.

I put together about 5-10 sets and then create par2 files with around 20% redundancy so that the entire block takes up exactly 1 DVD. This way if one or more of the files ever become corrupt on the original disc, I can rebuild the set from the rest of the files....this makes sure nothing ever degrades or gets lost at time goes on and the media wears a bit. The DVDs get put in slim 3CD cases to make sure they stay dust and scratch free. Each DVD is given a number, which is then recorded in my database, so that I can always find a show and see what disc it's on.

I find that this method is very effective and relatively cheap. At $1 per case and $0.50 for good DVD media, I can store about 20-30 shows for $2.50 (one filled 3-disc case of DVDs).

I also play the FLAC files on my Rio Karma for traveling in the car or taking to work, so I don't ever have to burn audio CDRs.
What's never been,
At the ending of life and the coming of death,
Pass not through its gates but into the dark.
Old 2005-03-09, 07:31 AM
snaimpally
701.28 GB/1.15 TB/1.67

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMamba

For plain paper sleeves, Sam's Club has them pretty cheap (500 sleeves for $5 I think). I use those when making copies for friends.

I agree with the part about keeping track to avoid downloading the same thing twice. I have been taking the info.txt file and using that info to create a 4.7" x 4.7" sheet that I slip in with the CD. I keep info, where it is available, about the band, musicians, date, location and venue, song list and time/length. I don't keep lineage though I do mention the source (SBD, AUD, FM etc). This is time consuming though but keeps things neat and I have enough to make a determination about a duplicate. If there is cover art, I just typically re-size the tray artwork and print it.

I like the DVD-R and CD-RW idea. But how do you keep track of what is on each DVD-R? Its harder to keep your collection organized since you have many different things on one DVD-R.
Old 2005-03-09, 07:36 AM
snaimpally
701.28 GB/1.15 TB/1.67

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainDawg
I always backup the original lossless files to DVD-R discs. Poke through the FAQ a bit, and you'll see that burning to audio CD and then extracting again causes potential audio problems. In order to make sure I can always reseed or trade the files, I keep them in their original form.

I put together about 5-10 sets and then create par2 files with around 20% redundancy so that the entire block takes up exactly 1 DVD. This way if one or more of the files ever become corrupt on the original disc, I can rebuild the set from the rest of the files....this makes sure nothing ever degrades or gets lost at time goes on and the media wears a bit. The DVDs get put in slim 3CD cases to make sure they stay dust and scratch free. Each DVD is given a number, which is then recorded in my database, so that I can always find a show and see what disc it's on.

I find that this method is very effective and relatively cheap. At $1 per case and $0.50 for good DVD media, I can store about 20-30 shows for $2.50 (one filled 3-disc case of DVDs).

I also play the FLAC files on my Rio Karma for traveling in the car or taking to work, so I don't ever have to burn audio CDRs.
What is par2 and is there a FAQ on how to create them? Can you provide more details on your database? Are you using Access?

I did not know the Karma played flac. I wish more mp3 players would support flac/shn.
Old 2005-03-09, 07:37 AM
We all walk the Long Road....
75.63 GB/483.42 GB/6.39

you can number the dvd's in sequential order and keep track of whats on each dvd. the most important thing to me though is what raindawg said and thats storing them in the original format, i only burn to audio disc the shows that i really want to listen to often but i always archive all my shows in the original data format...
Old 2005-03-09, 07:50 AM
Renegade Geek
10.20 GB/20.72 GB/2.03

Quote:
Originally Posted by snaimpally
What is par2 and is there a FAQ on how to create them?
Par2 is a data file reconstructor. Basically, by saying that I create recovery volumes with 20% redundancy, that means that 20% of the files on the DVD can become corrupt (or refuse to be read from the disc) and I can reconstruct all of them with just the 80% that is still readable. I've had many times where just 1 file becomes unreadable, and then I have to toss the entire show. This ensures that won't happen.

You can read more about the par2 algorithm and download the software to create the files and reconstruct incomplete sets here:
http://www.quickpar.org.uk/

Quote:
Can you provide more details on your database? Are you using Access?
I have been using a slightly tweaked setup of Music Collector for several years, though I am right now moving away from it towards a custom-built mySQL database that I get with my web-hosting service. This solution is admittedly a bit "over the top", but it does allow me a lot of options for creating custom searches and storing data. There are other programs out there designed specifically for storing audio information, but Music Collector is the only I've really gotten deep into, and it always did pretty much what I needed it to.

You could just as easily set one up in access if you don't have access to a mySQL server and you're willing to invest some time up front to developing a robust table structure and query set.

Having some type of database certainly makes it easy to keep track of where things are in your DB...in my case I have around 200 DVDs full of shows, and I'd never be able to find what I need without some way of tracking what is on each disc.

Quote:
I did not know the Karma played flac. I wish more mp3 players would support flac/shn.
This is another topic of discussion altogether. I've come out in support of the Karma many times on this board because of it's ability to play FLAC. The Neuros is either done or almost done FLAC support, but no other players have gone that route, and I find it discouraging. The iPod responded to their customers' desire to have a lossless audio player, but instead of supporting already mande formats, they developed their own closed-and-copyrighted format, which is bigger and less usable than FLAC. So iPod users need to convert from FLAC to ALC, and then back again for trading . The Karma is the only one that'll do all this right now, so I continue to support it to people who download shows from this site.

As for SHN, due to certain restictions in the license, there are no commercial players that will be able to play those files. Unless you come up with a homegrown firmware for an already existant player, this feature won't be coming out anytime soon.
What's never been,
Old 2005-03-09, 07:59 AM
snaimpally
701.28 GB/1.15 TB/1.67

Quote:
Originally Posted by rherron
I am thinking of buying a Heavy Duty DJ-Case from DiscSox (two actually). Here is the link:

http://www.discsox.com/dj-cases.htm

I haven't seen anything that store CDs more efficiently. And I will just use inexpensive paper sleeves, not the expensive "Pro Sleeves" they sell.

Anyone have one of these? I'd be interested to know what you think. I don't like the CD book type holders. It takes too long to realphabetize after you've burned a fresh batch of shows.

I have about 1200 CDs and DVDs right now (plus another 400 studio/major label releases).

Rob
I was browsing sleevetown.com website which RainDawg had suggested and found a DJ type case with 400 sleeves for $50.
http://www.sleevetown.com/cd-storage.shtml
Old 2005-03-09, 08:49 AM
71.58 GB/124.20 GB/1.74

Question Re: Best way to store all these downloads?

Does burning a DVD from the files provided in a BT here at TTD, then ripping it via Decryptor into the VIDEO_TS etc. files have the same negative effect of burning .wav's from FLAC onto a redbook CD and then EAC'ing them back to .wav? Or does the DVD format address this problem so it is a moot point?

I guess the practical issue I'm trying to deal with is if I should burn data discs and DVD's of all my downloaded DVD's. Also, when doing a trade or b&p should one send a data disc with the contents of the torrent, or an actual DVD that is ready to be popped into a player and watched?

Thanks in advance (btw, I checked the FAQ, but couldn't find anything pertaining to this specifically for DVD, just stuff on audio).

best,
Jim
Old 2005-03-09, 10:44 AM
uhclem
0.00 KB/0.00 KB/---

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainDawg
I also play the FLAC files on my Rio Karma for traveling in the
car or taking to work, so I don't ever have to burn audio CDRs.
You still haven't tried out Ogg Vorbis? I seem to recall you once said your Karma can play Ogg Vorbis. You would be able to fit about 5 times as much music on your Karma and I seriously doubt you would notice a difference in sound quality on a portable.
Old 2005-03-09, 11:27 AM
Renegade Geek
10.20 GB/20.72 GB/2.03

Quote:
Originally Posted by uhclem
You still haven't tried out Ogg Vorbis? I seem to recall you once said your Karma can play Ogg Vorbis. You would be able to fit about 5 times as much music on your Karma and I seriously doubt you would notice a difference in sound quality on a portable.
Oh, I absolutely use OGG-Vorbis for shows I'll be listening to over and over. I have a large hard drive with my favorites encoded at quality level 6 (I found I couldn't personally tell the difference at around 5, so 6 was a safe bet). I also have most of my official discs ripped to the hard drive as well so that I can take them on the road with me.

I use FLAC for checking the initial download. It's easier for me to just put a freshly downloaded show right on the Karma than it is to make a conversion, download the OGG files to the device, and then possibly delete them later. It should be said that I only carry around about 10-20 albums on my device at a time. Unless I'm taking a long trip, I only put on what I feel like listening to for that day. I use it for FLAC because it's more convenient for how I use it, not because of any percieved quality difference between the two.
What's never been,

The Traders' Den > Where we go to learn ..... > Technobabble