The Traders' Den  

The Traders' Den > Where we go to learn ..... > Technobabble

Notices

Technobabble Post your general Need for Help questions here.
Lossy or Lossless?
Moderators

Old 2010-03-27, 11:50 AM
TTD Staff
1.24 TB/594.30 GB/0.47

Re: Trader's Little Helper

Quote:
Originally Posted by fogovonslack View Post
More information: if I open Windows Task Manager while Trader's Little Helper is initializing and kill shorten.exe, then it starts converting and soon thereafter I get the "successfully converted" message. With each new file, I get a new instance of shorten.exe, and if I kill each instance of shorten as it pops up, the file will convert.
There has to be one instance of shorten.exe running, otherwise a shn>flac conversion is _not_ possible. If you really have to kill an instance of shorten.exe to get things working there has to be another instance running already. Without any specific information about your system/installation/settings/programs it's nearly impossible to tell what's going on.
Reply With Quote Reply with Nested Quotes
Old 2010-03-29, 10:20 PM
fogovonslack
0.00 KB/0.00 KB/---

Quote:
Originally Posted by roann View Post
There has to be one instance of shorten.exe running, otherwise a shn>flac conversion is _not_ possible. If you really have to kill an instance of shorten.exe to get things working there has to be another instance running already. Without any specific information about your system/installation/settings/programs it's nearly impossible to tell what's going on.
I can only see one instance of shorten running. When I kill it, a new one starts up and TLH continues working.

What system/installation/settings/programs could I provide that would help diagnose the problem?
Old 2010-03-29, 10:34 PM
fogovonslack
0.00 KB/0.00 KB/---

Yet another clue: TLH will generate st5s for FLAC files but not SHN.
Old 2010-03-30, 09:41 AM
TTD Staff
1.24 TB/594.30 GB/0.47

@fogovonslack:

Please stop telling all this nonsense. I do _not_ believe anything of what you've posted above.

Crappy installations of various programs plus senseless windows settings may cause TLH to malfunction, of course. And TLH is not bug-free for sure. But I do not think that's what is wrong on your side. So I won't show an interest on future posts of you in this thread.

The only way you possibly may convince me of what you've posted is to provide screen _videos_ of what happens on your system.
Old 2010-03-31, 09:20 PM
fogovonslack
0.00 KB/0.00 KB/---

Quote:
@fogovonslack:

Please stop telling all this nonsense. I do _not_ believe anything of what you've posted above.
Kinda rude, don't you think?

Mission accomplished: I won't bother you any more.
Old 2010-04-15, 10:41 AM
TTD Staff
1.24 TB/594.30 GB/0.47

Help needed

Only for users running Windows Vista

I don't have Vista anymore, so please do me a favour and test TLH as follows:
  1. take a valid/decodable flac file (file size doesn't matter)
  2. rename that file to tést.flac (that "french accent" is important)
  3. open TLH, go to Analysis > Test encoded audio files
  4. add tést.flac and press the Test button
What's the result? Do you get a tested ok (file is decodable without error), or do you get a file is corrupt, or decoder does not work properly?

Thanks in advance, really appreciate your help.

Aahh, and don't forget to rename the flac file back to its original name.

Robert
Old 2010-04-15, 02:06 PM
89.74 GB/73.31 GB/0.82

WOW! I didn't know until now that you made TLH. I've been using it for years but never knew it was a member of TTD that created it.

Nice prog and works great with Windows 7

Just one question. Is there a way to save the fingerprints it generates? I used to be able copy and paste but that doesn't seem to work w/Windows 7 for some reason. I think there should be an option for it to save a txt file for fingerprints automatically, if there is, I haven't figured it out yet
Old 2010-04-16, 02:28 AM
TTD Staff
1.24 TB/594.30 GB/0.47

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hell Yeah View Post
WOW!...Nice prog and works great with Windows 7...
Actually there is a problem with Windows 7 (not with XP or earlier). But I don't know whether this problem occurs under _Vista_. I need to know for debugging, that's why I asked for help in my last post (see above). Any Vista users out there???

Quote:
...Is there a way to save the fingerprints it generates?...
You're kidding, aren't you? There's a Save button to the right of the process log. Left-click it with the mouse, and a dialog for saving the checksum file will open.

Quote:
... I used to be able copy and paste but that doesn't seem to work w/Windows 7 for some reason...
On my side the usual copy & paste works fine with Window 7. But there's another way to copy the process log. Right-click the Save button with the mouse, and a popup-menu will open (see attachment). Click on Copy to clipboard, and now you can paste the contents of the checksum file wherever you want (using Ctrl-V or right mouse button as usual).

Quote:
...I think there should be an option for it to save a txt file for fingerprints automatically, if there is, I haven't figured it out yet ...
Actually there is. Go to Options > Preferences > Create checksum file, check the box Save automatically as '<...>', and press Apply.

Robert
Attached Images
File Type: jpg copychecksumfiletoclipboard.jpg
( 14.4 KB, 161 views)

Old 2010-04-17, 02:19 AM
491.13 GB/783.96 GB/1.60

Re: Help needed

Quote:
Only for users running Windows Vista

I don't have Vista anymore, so please do me a favour and test TLH as follows:
  1. take a valid/decodable flac file (file size doesn't matter)
  2. rename that file to tést.flac (that "french accent" is important)
  3. open TLH, go to Analysis > Test encoded audio files
  4. add tést.flac and press the Test button
What's the result? Do you get a tested ok (file is decodable without error), or do you get a file is corrupt, or decoder does not work properly?

Thanks in advance, really appreciate your help.

Aahh, and don't forget to rename the flac file back to its original name.

Robert

Hi Robert.
Am running Vista. Did this test and got "decoder does not work properly" result. Using build "160" at the moment. Should I upgrade. Made sure the test file had the french accent.
T.
Old 2010-04-17, 10:16 AM
TTD Staff
1.24 TB/594.30 GB/0.47

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonebloke View Post
Hi Robert.
Am running Vista. Did this test and got "decoder does not work properly" result. Using build "160" at the moment. Should I upgrade. Made sure the test file had the french accent.
T.
Thanks very much for the info!

Do *not* upgrade. All the last releases show this file is corrupt, or decoder does not work properly result if Windows Vista or Windows 7 is running (no problems with Windows XP or earlier).

Next week at latest (don't know, maybe tomorrow/Sunday evening it'll all be done, but you never know) there will be a new TLH release that fixes the bug (it isn't a TLH bug, actually - Microsoft seems to have changed something in the console window). As usual I'll post a message in this forum when the new version is available.

Robert
Old 2010-04-18, 07:36 AM
TTD Staff
1.24 TB/594.30 GB/0.47

New release available

There's a new version of TLH available: v2.6.0 build 168. Please upgrade, in particular if you're running Windows Vista or Windows 7.

Microsoft has changed whatever in connection with the charset in the console window of Windows Vista and Windows 7 (still don't know exactly what was changed; somebody out there who could shed a light on this?). Under Vista / Seven this change causes a wrong test result (file is corrupt, or decoder does not work properly) if a _flac_ file is tested (encoding wav files to flac format with option Test encoded files checked; re-encoding flac files with option Test re-encoded files checked; testing flac files in the Analysis section) _and_ the name of the file contains letters with diacritical marks (accented letters, for example). This "TLH bug" has been fixed.

Due to user requests there's a change on the "Create checksum file" page. Now, no matter what type of files were added to the file list, only files with file extensions appropriate to the type of checksum file selected will be displayed and processed (if .txt, .jpg and .flac files were added and the type of the checksum file to create is .ffp, only .flac files will be displayed and processed, for example). Note that the files not displayed (if any) are being hold in the background. So if the type of the checksum file to create is changed, again _all_ files added will be taken into account to display the list of appropriate files (if you change to type .md5 in the example above all added files will be displayed, for example).

In the Create checksum file section of the Preferences dialog three changeable default settings were added. They control how to proceed when sources are added from within Windows Explorer: clear existing file list before adding, include subfolders when adding a folder, automatically start processing after adding sources. Use the second one with care: it could take a long time if you want to add only files from the root of your 1 TB external hard disk and the Include subfolders option is checked.

And for those who use TLH to encode to / decode from MP3 format: lame.exe has been updated to the latest release v3.98.4.

Robert
Old 2010-04-19, 12:49 AM
491.13 GB/783.96 GB/1.60

Thanks Rob. Will try it out tonight.
Old 2010-04-19, 07:03 AM
491.13 GB/783.96 GB/1.60

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonebloke View Post
Hi Robert.
T.
Hey Robert. Did this test again using "Build 168" and all is good. Thanks.
Old 2010-04-19, 10:00 AM
323.59 GB/269.71 GB/0.83

forgive me if this has been covered, but where can i download the latest build? i've tried http://tlh.easytree.org but that site just times out for me. thanks, it's a great lil program!
Old 2010-04-19, 10:24 AM
TTD Staff
1.24 TB/594.30 GB/0.47

Quote:
Originally Posted by mookieguy View Post
forgive me if this has been covered, but where can i download the latest build? i've tried http://tlh.easytree.org but that site just times out for me. thanks, it's a great lil program!
No problems on my side to open http://tlh.easytree.org. This is the only place to get the latest build (alternatively you can use TLH to download the latest one (see Help menu) but the Check for update function also uses the above url). If all attempts fail just email me and I'll send you the installer file.

The Traders' Den > Where we go to learn ..... > Technobabble

Tags
tlh, traders little helper