The Traders' Den  

The Traders' Den > Where we go to learn ..... > Technobabble

Notices

Technobabble Post your general Need for Help questions here.
Lossy or Lossless?
Moderators

Old 2008-02-04, 03:20 PM
14.02 GB/5.86 GB/0.42

Is my ISP blocking me?

Hi folks, my home computer (from which I do my torrenting) will no longer connect to teh internet. After my last Zep torrent it just stopped working.

Could my ISP be blocking me? I plug into the back of the modem/router combo provided by TimeWarner via teh ethernet conneciton. My roomates have no trouble connecting and I've run the troubleshooter, rolled back the driver and tried to repair the ethernet card. the error message I get is "Cannot get IP address, contact your ISP" or something to that effect (I'm at work right now and cannot see the message).

I haven't done that yet since the acocunt is in my roomates name but i don't know what it could be. Any thoughts?

Thank you!
Reply With Quote Reply with Nested Quotes
Old 2008-02-04, 03:34 PM
bright ambassador of morning
497.48 GB/1.18 TB/2.43

Re: Is my ISP blocking me?

Are you and the roomate sharing an internet connection? If so, then it's doubtful that the ISP is blocking one PC versus another.

Your PC should be getting an IP address from the router. There might be an issue with your network card or the configuration of the router. Are there any recent changes to your PC (hardware or softwate) or the router that happened around the time this started?

Quote:
Vince Gill:
I just got an award presented to me by a Beatle. Have you had that happen yet, Kanye?
Quote:
Originally Posted by karmakat View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by jameskg View Post
I knew that was the wrong answer
such is the nature of Gilligan.
Old 2008-02-04, 04:45 PM
14.02 GB/5.86 GB/0.42

Quote:
Originally Posted by mooncusser View Post
Are you and the roomate sharing an internet connection? If so, then it's doubtful that the ISP is blocking one PC versus another.

Your PC should be getting an IP address from the router. There might be an issue with your network card or the configuration of the router. Are there any recent changes to your PC (hardware or softwate) or the router that happened around the time this started?
Hi Moon, thanks for the reply. Yes both of my roomates connect to the internet through the same Modem/router combo supplied by TimeWarner. It's an AMBIT that I cannot port-foward for the life of me but that's a whole nother issue! They conncet wirelessly and I go through the back of the unit via teh ethernet cable. The modem is seeing it as i am getting the connectivity light, just no IP address.

I tried my ethernet card and the wireless card but both have the same problem, they aren't getting IP addresses.

It just occured to me that I didn't re-boot the modem, I'm going to try that as soon as I get home, barring that I'm out of ideas. There are no recent changes with software or hardware. It just stopped working

All thoughts aer welcome, thanks!
Old 2008-02-04, 05:19 PM
bright ambassador of morning
497.48 GB/1.18 TB/2.43

You router should be assigning the IP address. It's possible that issues with the wireless adapter and the encryption/security would interfere with that, but that wouldn't explain the wired connection.

Rebooting the router isn't a bad idea. If that doesn't work, check its configuration to make sure there isn't a max number of IPs set and no blocks on the MAC addresses of your adapters or the PC itself.

Quote:
Vince Gill:
I just got an award presented to me by a Beatle. Have you had that happen yet, Kanye?
Quote:
Originally Posted by karmakat View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by jameskg View Post
I knew that was the wrong answer
such is the nature of Gilligan.
Old 2008-02-04, 07:40 PM
14.02 GB/5.86 GB/0.42

Re-booting the router worked! I am typing this from home!

Thanks for your help!

The Traders' Den > Where we go to learn ..... > Technobabble