The Traders' Den  

The Traders' Den > Where we go to learn ..... > Technobabble

Notices

Technobabble Post your general Need for Help questions here.
Lossy or Lossless?
Moderators

Old 2022-01-09, 01:48 PM
138.82 GB/879.23 GB/6.33

What Constitutes A Remaster

Are removing microphone bumps, smoothing transitions or repairing drop-outs considered to be remastering or does ‘remastering’ only cover EQing the sound.

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Reply with Nested Quotes
Old 2022-01-10, 07:28 PM
Champion of the Silent
TTD VIP
727.47 GB/6.80 TB/9.57

Re: What Constitutes A Remaster

The first sounds more like editing that remastering, to me.

But a remaster really needs the original raw files as a starting point.
Old 2022-01-12, 10:06 PM
872.76 GB/412.35 GB/0.47

Quote:
Originally Posted by theancientritual View Post
Are removing microphone bumps, smoothing transitions or repairing drop-outs considered to be remastering or does ‘remastering’ only cover EQing the sound.

Thanks.
I would consider EQing the sound to be a remix not a remaster. I would also say that remixing should NEVER be done. Once you do that, the audio is now a representation of your taste instead of the artist's.
Old 2022-01-12, 10:42 PM
642.27 GB/2.72 TB/4.34

Quote:
Originally Posted by theancientritual View Post

Thanks.
It depends if you're working from scratch or if you're tweaking something that was already shared (presumably by the original taper), however fixing the type of issues you mentioned is more editing/repairs than remastering.
Old 2022-01-13, 09:45 AM
Trader since 1980
2.00 TB/1.46 TB/0.73

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitman Horton View Post
I would consider EQing the sound to be a remix not a remaster. I would also say that remixing should NEVER be done. Once you do that, the audio is now a representation of your taste instead of the artist's.
Mixing is, IMHO, modifying the audible levels of component parts - what are these days called Stem Tracks - or the individual tracks of a multi-track tape.

EQ is not mixing.
Old 2022-01-13, 09:31 PM
872.76 GB/412.35 GB/0.47

Quote:
Originally Posted by GRC View Post
Mixing is, IMHO, modifying the audible levels of component parts - what are these days called Stem Tracks - or the individual tracks of a multi-track tape.

EQ is not mixing.
We're talking about two different kinds of remixing. You're talking the kind of remixing that DJs et cetera do and I'm talking about something like Triumph's Greatest Hits remixed CD.
Old 2022-01-13, 09:44 PM
642.27 GB/2.72 TB/4.34

Quote:
Quote:

EQ is not mixing.
We're talking about two different kinds of remixing. You're talking the kind of remixing that DJs et cetera do and I'm talking about something like Triumph's Greatest Hits remixed CD.
I don't think that's what GRC is talking about - although that sounds like a fun project to sample+remix an audience recording?!!?
Old 2022-01-13, 10:19 PM
872.76 GB/412.35 GB/0.47

Quote:

EQ is not mixing.
A quote from producer Steve Albini to illustrate my point. "A remix takes the original sounds from the session—the individual tracks, like the drums, bass, guitar, voice tracks—and rebalances them in a completely new stereo master."
Old 2022-01-14, 05:09 AM
Trader since 1980
2.00 TB/1.46 TB/0.73

Quote:
A quote from producer Steve Albini to illustrate my point. "A remix takes the original sounds from the session—the individual tracks, like the drums, bass, guitar, voice tracks—and rebalances them in a completely new stereo master."
I think Albini and I are saying the same thing with different words.

Mixing, whether done at or immediately after the original recording session, or at a later date, involves taking the tracks (the original sounds) and determining their level (balance) in the final "mix". This may INVOLVE EQ as part of the process, but EQ is NOT the whole thing....

I don't consider this the domain of "DJs etc." DJs play back the final mix, UNLESS someone has provided them with single 'tracks', 'beats' or whateve else they call them, to be assembled on the spot, in a live context.

I've never encountered "something like Triumph's Greatest Hits remixed CD." so can't comment on that...

Back to your earlier post ("I would consider EQing the sound to be a remix not a remaster".) - simply EQing a 2-track L/R Stereo Master is NOT 'mixing' ....

EQ = Equalisation

"adjusting the volume of different frequency bands within an audio signal"

This is not the same as mixing - i.e. adjusting the level of an individual track within a 4-track, 8-track, 16-track recording, where each track contains a different instrument or set of instruments.

Last edited by GRC; 2022-01-14 at 05:39 AM.
Old 2022-01-14, 07:06 AM
872.76 GB/412.35 GB/0.47

Quote:
I think Albini and I are saying the same thing with different words.

Mixing, whether done at or immediately after the original recording session, or at a later date, involves taking the tracks (the original sounds) and determining their level (balance) in the final "mix". This may INVOLVE EQ as part of the process, but EQ is NOT the whole thing....

I don't consider this the domain of "DJs etc." DJs play back the final mix, UNLESS someone has provided them with single 'tracks', 'beats' or whateve else they call them, to be assembled on the spot, in a live context.

I've never encountered "something like Triumph's Greatest Hits remixed CD." so can't comment on that...

Back to your earlier post ("I would consider EQing the sound to be a remix not a remaster".) - simply EQing a 2-track L/R Stereo Master is NOT 'mixing' ....

EQ = Equalisation

"adjusting the volume of different frequency bands within an audio signal"

This is not the same as mixing - i.e. adjusting the level of an individual track within a 4-track, 8-track, 16-track recording, where each track contains a different instrument or set of instruments.
Call it whatever you want. The actual point of my post remains true. You should NEVER alter the audio portion of a live recording.
Old 2022-01-14, 08:32 AM
Trader since 1980
2.00 TB/1.46 TB/0.73

Quote:
Call it whatever you want. The actual point of my post remains true. You should NEVER alter the audio portion of a live recording.
What other 'portion' could a live recording have?

It's audio. End of. The one and only portion.

Back to the OP, and "removing microphone bumps, smoothing transitions or repairing drop-outs considered to be remastering or does ‘remastering’ only cover EQing the sound."

I have no problem with editing an existing live recording to remove or suppress intrusive audience noise, to cover drop-outs or other flaws, and, if the overall EQ is particularly bad, applying compensation to make it more listenable.

This has nothing to do with artist's intent, and is a function of the recording equipment used by the taper, and the circumstances of the taping.

Choice of microphone, position in hall, design of taping equipment, audience mood/intoxication, etc.
Old 2022-01-14, 12:02 PM
co9ol
303.62 GB/388.57 GB/1.28

I would consider what the OP is asking about mastering, or more like "mastering lite". They are making the master from the raw files. I say "mastering lite," as actual mastering involves eq and dynamic compression. They're just fixing up a few final flaws.
Old 2022-01-14, 01:55 PM
872.76 GB/412.35 GB/0.47

Quote:
What other 'portion' could a live recording have?

It's audio. End of. The one and only portion.

Back to the OP, and "removing microphone bumps, smoothing transitions or repairing drop-outs considered to be remastering or does ‘remastering’ only cover EQing the sound."

I have no problem with editing an existing live recording to remove or suppress intrusive audience noise, to cover drop-outs or other flaws, and, if the overall EQ is particularly bad, applying compensation to make it more listenable.

This has nothing to do with artist's intent, and is a function of the recording equipment used by the taper, and the circumstances of the taping.

Choice of microphone, position in hall, design of taping equipment, audience mood/intoxication, etc.
Question: What other 'portion' could a live recording have?
Answer: Video.
Old 2022-01-14, 04:08 PM
Trader since 1980
2.00 TB/1.46 TB/0.73

Quote:
Question: What other 'portion' could a live recording have?
Answer: Video.
Sure, you've been talking about remastering video this whole time.....

Puh-leeze.
Old 2022-01-14, 10:14 PM
872.76 GB/412.35 GB/0.47

Quote:
Sure, you've been talking about remastering video this whole time.....

Puh-leeze.
Is it possible for a live recording to have both an audio and a video portion? If it is, then your statement is incorrect and mine is correct. Sorry to the original poster for getting this thread off topic. I am moving on. It was my original intent to only provide my opinion.

The Traders' Den > Where we go to learn ..... > Technobabble