The Traders' Den  

The Traders' Den > Where we go to learn ..... > Technobabble

Notices

Technobabble Post your general Need for Help questions here.
Lossy or Lossless?
Moderators

Old 2009-07-20, 02:27 PM
97.51 GB/219.10 GB/2.25

What the...? (Missing torrents)

Okay, so I had reinstalled Vista. I found out all my torrent files ended up in Windows.old so I moved it to my new user folder. However, I just recently got around to setting up uTorrent with the download directories and stuff.

So I opened up my Torrent download folder, because one of my DVDs got scratched, and I wanted to reburn it, only to find them all missing, except for a few I had downloaded after the reinstall!

What the...? I know I didn't delete them, I hadn't been in that folder for a while. Only thing I can think of is uTorrent accidentally overwriting it or the RIAA hacking into my computer and deleting them ()

They're certainly not in another place on my HDD, I did a search for any Video_TS folders, nothing.

Edit: Well anyways, I'm re-downloading the missing DVD. It's a PITA, though.

Another edit: Of course half of it is unavailable. Sigh....

Still another edit: Should mention I didn't have the .torrent files for the downloads and they weren't seeding or in the program.

Last edited by Aimee Wilbury; 2009-07-20 at 03:13 PM.
Reply With Quote Reply with Nested Quotes
Old 2009-07-22, 05:36 AM
Utterly Bastard Groovy
75.55 GB/92.04 GB/1.22

Re: What the...? (Missing torrents)

Sounds like they're gone, kiddo.
Old 2009-07-22, 08:41 AM
62.58 GB/68.02 GB/1.09

Can you not copy the contents of the %appdata%\utorrent folder (from your old Win installation) and then paste into the new %appdata%\utorrent folder? (whilst uTorrent is not running obviously). There are a Settings.dat & Resume.dat file in there I think which should contain your previous uTorrent settings. (You might wanna backup your current ones first (copy the folder to a separate drive/USB stick), just in case as I think it will do a straight replacement rather than migration).

It's always best practice to keep data and software on separate drives (volumes/partitions) then if you do need to reinstall your OS, your data remains untouched.
Old 2009-07-23, 05:03 PM
97.51 GB/219.10 GB/2.25

Well, it might help if I had a different drive. LOL. Partitioning doesn't help much when you have a failed HDD. I only have my 40-gig external which is unfortunately too small to hold my files.

I deleted the appdata folder from Windows.old, didn't think I would need it

The Traders' Den > Where we go to learn ..... > Technobabble