The Traders' Den  

The Traders' Den > Where we go to learn ..... > Site Announcements & Suggestions

Notices

Site Announcements & Suggestions This is where you should make your suggestions to us on how to improve your experience here and where to post about site problems/issues.
Moderators

Closed Thread

Old 2007-05-29, 11:42 AM
789.83 GB/484.60 GB/0.61

Re: What are Site Admins allowed to do with donations?

As somebody who has donated several times to this wonderful website I only ask that I get a thank you in return...mostly to make sure it has been received without incident.

I do however have a suggestion: Why not have a "donated" sign in our profile. It's just another way to show how each member gives back. Some upload, some are amazing seeders with great connections, some produce artwork, others do Bnp/Vines...why not show those who donate.

Sure my ratio isnt so great but I donate as much as I can and have limited bandwith taboot!

Cheers to TTD - no doubt the best Video site on the web
Old 2007-05-29, 12:19 PM
the non-nuclear Homer Simpson
202.13 GB/314.80 GB/1.56

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Govner
I wasn't questioning Lynne's integrity!
Of course not. I was backing you up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
I hear the Rape is lovely this time of year.
Quote:
hey man if nobody else has helped you out, i can continue to ignore you too
Old 2007-05-29, 12:36 PM
0.00 KB/0.00 KB/---

I think thats a cool idea.I dont have any ratio at all because of slow speed connections so Im totally dependant on the generosity of the seeders,viners,b&pers,etc.All you guys fuckin rock and you know who you are!!
Love ya.....mean it!!
Old 2007-05-29, 03:30 PM
100.42 GB/231.47 GB/2.31

Quote:
Originally Posted by trustthex
i guess this thread has taken another left hand turn, and is now the graduation thread?
I just got my BSc actually

*is still unemployed*
Old 2007-05-29, 04:44 PM
26 Reds &a Bottle of Wine
3.34 TB/4.73 TB/1.42

Here's my take on donations & ratio...

First ...donation money should only be used for site bills,maintenance & up keep.
Many organizations that accept donations give percs to the donators.
There is nothing wrong with them showing their appreciation for receiving one.

As far as ratio haters go ....I say

Example hypothetical

You spend 50 dollars for your isp & I spend 50 dollars for my isp [monthly]

We're each on a torrent with the same amount of leechers & all equal uploads.
Over a 24hr period your ratio is 2.1 and mine is .3.
We've both spent the same amount time & money but your isp gives you better upload speeds.
Does that make you better?
No it does not but some asshats believe they are...again

Just recently my isp opened up my upload capabilities & I have gone from a .20 to a .49 in
a few weeks here...does that make me better ? I think not.

I donate to about 6 different sites ...some give percs & some don't I see nothing wrong
either way & I don't expect percs. I give because my favorite places on the web need help to stay
a float.

So why all the hate...just keep sharing one way or another it all keeps this music flowin'

Sid
and have the time of our lives !

The Cuervo Gold
The fine Colombian
Make tonight a wonderful thing.....
Old 2007-05-30, 03:47 AM
167.93 GB/219.69 GB/1.31

Old 2007-05-30, 06:35 AM
GrOoOvemeister
2.57 TB/2.00 TB/0.78

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sid

Example hypothetical

You spend 50 dollars for your isp & I spend 50 dollars for my isp [monthly]

We're each on a torrent with the same amount of leechers & all equal uploads.
Over a 24hr period your ratio is 2.1 and mine is .3.
We've both spent the same amount time & money but your isp gives you better upload speeds.
Does that make you better?
No it does not but some asshats believe they are...again

Sid
although I understand the argument and in this case I agree, but please understand that most of those here don't have this amazing speed...a lot of us would be on your end of the ratio (in your example) but if you seed for a day and move on while someone else stays for however long it takes to reach 1.0, then that does make a difference...it's not as much about speed as it is about dedixation to sharing...some people have mega-upload speed, but the average guy is somewhere between 30-50k...and they manage to maintain...it's nice to have a great upload speed (makes it a lot easier) but it's wrong to assume that everyone with a good ratio has great upload speed...some people are just that dedicated...FWIW my upload was double the normal (at about 100k) and it's since been cut in half by the cable provider, but my ratio is over 2...so even with "average" speed, I'd have made over the 1.0 mark...I don't think it makes me better, but I just don't want you to think that everyone with a better ratio has a higher upload rate...some people just have better sharing practices...it's not as simple as a speed issue...again, I understand your point, but that's a very simple view, and you should at least acknowledge that some people just work hard to share well...and it's not all about the ISP
Old 2007-05-30, 07:14 AM
3.34 TB/4.73 TB/1.42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phishblowz
although I understand the argument and in this case I agree, but please understand that most of those here don't have this amazing speed...a lot of us would be on your end of the ratio (in your example) but if you seed for a day and move on while someone else stays for however long it takes to reach 1.0, then that does make a difference...it's not as much about speed as it is about dedixation to sharing...some people have mega-upload speed, but the average guy is somewhere between 30-50k...and they manage to maintain...it's nice to have a great upload speed (makes it a lot easier) but it's wrong to assume that everyone with a good ratio has great upload speed...some people are just that dedicated...FWIW my upload was double the normal (at about 100k) and it's since been cut in half by the cable provider, but my ratio is over 2...so even with "average" speed, I'd have made over the 1.0 mark...I don't think it makes me better, but I just don't want you to think that everyone with a better ratio has a higher upload rate...some people just have better sharing practices...it's not as simple as a speed issue...again, I understand your point, but that's a very simple view, and you should at least acknowledge that some people just work hard to share well...and it's not all about the ISP
Agreed

I just get angry at the bashers...many many times I have seen them attack users with lower ratios .
Sometimes it's just a blatant attack & unnecessary .
You have to see the whole picture before accusing someone of "not sharing".
Do they:
Tape shows & upload
Uploads their silvers
Upload reseeds
Donate monetarily
Jump back on to help seed [regardless of isp limits]
Always jump n' run
Work on sites either as mods or technical
Create artworks
Offer their knowledge of events & artists
ect ect........

Also

There are many ways to share including Donating monetarily which all of these sites need.
And if a site offers percs for those who Donate there's nothing wrong with that...IMO

The Cuervo Gold
The fine Colombian
Old 2007-05-30, 11:11 AM
TTD Staff
474.39 GB/2.01 TB/4.34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sid
There are many ways to share including Donating monetarily which all of these sites need.
And if a site offers percs for those who Donate there's nothing wrong with that...IMO
If a site offers percs for those who help the site by donating funds, shouldn't the site also offer percs to all those other who contibute to the site by taping, uploading shows, keeping a good ratio, etc? After all, the site wouldn't survive without ALL of those things.

Old 2007-05-30, 12:08 PM
3.34 TB/4.73 TB/1.42

Quote:
Originally Posted by U2Lynne
If a site offers percs for those who help the site by donating funds, shouldn't the site also offer percs to all those other who contibute to the site by taping, uploading shows, keeping a good ratio, etc? After all, the site wouldn't survive without ALL of those things.
IMO...Maybe for Tapers & Heavy uploaders/torrent starters but that's up to each individual site...correct ?
Good ratio is part of torrent etiquette & everyone should do their best with that.

I see no reason why giving percs for any extra effort is bad.
Giving a perc for extra effort does not translate into "selling bootlegs"...at least not in my eyes.

Of course it's up to each individual site to set their own rules & of course it's up to each individual to visit/patron any specific site they wish.

The Cuervo Gold
The fine Colombian

Last edited by Sid; 2007-05-30 at 12:18 PM.
Old 2007-05-30, 01:00 PM
Rebel, Rogue & Sworn Brother
55.25 GB/234.70 GB/4.25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sid
I just get angry at the bashers...many many times I have seen them attack users with lower ratios .
Sometimes it's just a blatant attack & unnecessary .
Come on bro....if it is in the Lounge it is fair game right???

Old 2007-05-30, 01:07 PM
3.34 TB/4.73 TB/1.42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Powderfinger
Come on bro....if it is in the Lounge it is fair game right???

The Cuervo Gold
The fine Colombian
Old 2007-05-30, 02:13 PM
zombfuckingsucks
0.00 KB/0.00 KB/---

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sid

I see no reason why giving percs for any extra effort is bad.
Giving a perc for extra effort does not translate into "selling bootlegs"...at least not in my eyes.

It is a sale because a proposition is made.
(i.e. I'll do A if you give me B)

If this were not the case, prostitution and the sale illegal drugs could be passed off as perks for donation.
Old 2007-05-30, 02:33 PM
spiritinaphoto
0.00 KB/0.00 KB/---

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phishblowz
Of course, there's another problem all of you people so adamant on everyone sharing to 1.0 or better seem to miss...it is impossible for everyone to seed to 1.0. For every amount of data beyond the original size of the torrent the seeder shares, it makes it even more difficult for everyone else to get a good ratio, because that's data they could have shared. And the more people you have with share ratios that are significantly above 1.0, the more more uberleechers it will produce. Because the ubersharers shared so much data, there may not be an opportunity for lesser-equipped sharers to share what they have back.
Old 2007-05-30, 02:37 PM
spiritinaphoto
0.00 KB/0.00 KB/---

Oh, there's a typo I've seen repeated that is bugging me...it is "perk", not "perc". "Perc" would probably be short for percocet, which might be considered a "perk" for various druggies.
Closed Thread

The Traders' Den > Where we go to learn ..... > Site Announcements & Suggestions