The Traders' Den  

The Traders' Den > Where we go to learn ..... > Technobabble

Notices

Technobabble Post your general Need for Help questions here.
Lossy or Lossless?
Moderators

Old 2008-03-26, 11:10 AM
jack your body
379.68 GB/353.76 GB/0.93

Re: Problems burning dual layer DVDs

DL tech just isnt there for the home consumer...if it was, where is the quad layer? i refuse to believe that DLs will stand the test of time, its really almost a joke to me...who the fuck cares about an extra 4 GB? there is a reason dvd production companies use high quality burners and discs, so when the consumer BUYS the dvd he doesnt get it home and have it be a coaster, and so there not wasting discs. Now we got blu-ray burners, DLs will be the new way of burning blu-rays without buying 25$ blank blu ray discs, too bad all you quality freak TTDers will be forced to split or compress your blu rays for them to fit on DLs. please let know know if im completely off base! id like to not care some more!
Old 2008-03-26, 11:15 AM
jack your body
379.68 GB/353.76 GB/0.93

http://www.engadget.com/2006/06/22/m...ready-in-july/

this is more like it!

just wait for the 100 GB discs, 5 years and all you chumps will be kicking yourself because no one will remember DLs, but you'll have a full library, kinda like 8tracks!

theres a time to jump on the bandwagon, ive realized its best to chill and wait for the technology to catch up with itself
Old 2008-03-26, 12:46 PM
1.99 TB/1.77 TB/0.89

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drewa311 View Post
http://www.engadget.com/2006/06/22/m...ready-in-july/

this is more like it!

just wait for the 100 GB discs, 5 years and all you chumps will be kicking yourself because no one will remember DLs, but you'll have a full library, kinda like 8tracks!

theres a time to jump on the bandwagon, ive realized its best to chill and wait for the technology to catch up with itself

Read the date in your link. 2006-06-22! That link is HD-DVD which is already dead. Blu-Ray blank prices will drop as the market develops. Of course there will be something to make every format obsolete at some point. Cassettes made 8-Track a dinosaur but now who uses cassettes? You can't always "sit out" and wait for something else to come along.

Do you buy any movies on DVD? Those are DL, why waste your $$$ when those are already surpassed with Blu-Ray soon to be outmoded by something down the road.

I will not wait 5 years to upgrade from DVD5 to a 100GB disc. I have no problems with DL now, sure I wish blanks were 25 cents like DVD5 but I don't like people compressing 8GB shows with DVD Shrink to fit it on a DVD5 because they a cheap SOB.
Reply With Quote Reply with Nested Quotes
Old 2008-03-26, 12:48 PM
TTD Staff
0.00 KB/5.71 TB/Inf.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drewa311
too bad all you quality freak TTDers will be forced to split or compress your blu rays for them to fit on DLs. please let know know if im completely off base! id like to not care some more!
Wrong yet again. Actually, once blu-ray's start being seeded here, unless the taper does 2 versions (blu-ray & dual layer), the only version seedable here will be the blu-ray.

Give it some time, you'll be whining about how bad blu-rays suck, they're so expensive, they're unstable media, blah blah blah...I put everything on single layers cuz its the only stable format.

If you don't like the standards, why exactly are you here?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Homebrew101
Read the date in your link. 2006-06-22! That link is HD-DVD which is already dead.
Old 2008-03-27, 10:32 PM
TTD VIP
61.11 GB/79.12 GB/1.29

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Homebrew101 View Post

I guess I wasn't clear in my language, let me clarify: I have never had a coaster using Verbatim DL with either of my dvd burners.

Is that clear now Drewa311?

wait...explain again... your dual layers suck and will be useless because of data rot in 3 years? I think i understand now!

youll have problems...just wait

how old are you 12 ? its the same technology

I use verbatim media and have no problems.... you might be running into problems due to cheap discs

i have a feeling that high prices of dvd9s has some correlation to commercial dvds being dvd9....
and is the reason why blue-ray burning isn't to prevalent and why the discs cost so much
Old 2008-03-28, 03:46 AM
61.85 GB/74.30 GB/1.20

Burn at the lowest speed, wait a little bit longer, the finished DL is WELL worth the effort...that simple.

I use them for mostly storage but when I do a movie, imgburn & go, a definite NO-brainer.

Old 2008-03-28, 10:09 AM
sarcastic dork
TTD Staff
123.09 GB/240.75 GB/1.96

Quote:
its really almost a joke to me...who the fuck cares about an extra 4 GB?

Discs are not just used for storage so it's not just a matter of 4 extra gigs. It's being able to burn a show without compressing it or having to change discs half-way through.
I'm always up for a trade <--Best viewed using anything but Internet Explorer.
Old 2008-03-28, 11:45 AM
jack your body
379.68 GB/353.76 GB/0.93

DLs suck and always will...end of story (maybe not in 5/10 years)

simply put i have lower standards of media than most people here on TTD, being that i collect .mp3 DJs set i see no reason on spending and extra $.75 just for another 4 gigs of space when i can pop in another disc and burn that no problem, ive always kinda looked at people here on TTD as media snobs, kinda like the smug episode of south park. Im a kid and like to save my money for food, books, bars etc. Im being as resourceful as i can and i encourage other to do the same, if DLs are so great why doesnt Taiyo Yuden make them? I cherish my media just as much as the next person and thats why i dont burn on DLs...because they are shitty and wont stand the test of time.

why no quad-layer?

and i seriously feel sorry for anyone over 30 who has posted in this topic...shouldnt you be at work or taking care of you kids instead of defending DLs...half the reason i even post here is to get a rise out of you TTD nerds who have nothing better to do than bitch to me about how DLs superior...my advice to you is to get a life and or wife/kids and not burn on DLs if you REALLY cherish quality media.

on the bright side, the suckers who spend an extra $.75 a disc for clearly more ink on the same disc you are the ones that are supporting the coming of new technology that will become the new standard whether DLs, Blu-ray, neon disc. 10 years from now ill jump on the bandwagon thinking back, wow thanks to all the chumps that helped stabilize X media format by spending more than twice what they could be for the same shit. but for now im content with 4.7 GB discs, because im not a fat lazy computer nerd who opposes compression/ getting up im the middle of a disc (way too much effort, especially when that mikes groove ends half way through, BUZZ KILL)

Man i really cant belive i just wrote that much, i fell like one of you, maybe i should pull a kostanza/wickerman and quit while im ahead

gg allin shits on dual layers
Old 2008-03-28, 11:54 AM
jack your body
379.68 GB/353.76 GB/0.93

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilson View Post
Quote:

wait...explain again... your dual layers suck and will be useless because of data rot in 3 years? I think i understand now!

youll have problems...just wait

how old are you 12 ? its the same technology

I use verbatim media and have no problems.... you might be running into problems due to cheap discs

i have a feeling that high prices of dvd9s has some correlation to commercial dvds being dvd9....
and is the reason why blue-ray burning isn't to prevalent and why the discs cost so much

clealry its not the same technolgy, unless you have one of those HUGE burners that are used to pump out thousands of discs, thats why yours are purple and movies are silver

ive used all types of DLs with varying success rates, my system is fine dual core 2 BG ram, one phillips burner and one sony, i just find that DLs are the less economical way to go. everything will become more stable with time, thats why i back everything up on floppy discs and jump drives!
Old 2008-03-28, 11:55 AM
The Happy Guy
559.93 GB/1.09 TB/1.99

Quote:
DLs suck and always will...end of story (maybe not in 5/10 years).......
agreed!

if the only difference is not having to change the dvd half way thru the show.....fuck DVD9......
my new burner gets here today....cant wait to try it out.......
o and old VHS to DVD9?..... why?
imho...

and whats the cost on DVD9's now?? i havent bought any in awhile.....

Old 2008-03-28, 11:57 AM
jack your body
379.68 GB/353.76 GB/0.93

Quote:
Originally Posted by shopkin View Post
Quote:
DLs suck and always will...end of story (maybe not in 5/10 years).......
agreed!

if the only difference is not having to change the dvd half way thru the show.....fuck DVD9......
my new burner gets here today....cant wait to try it out.......
o and old VHS to DVD9?..... why?
imho...

and whats the cost on DVD9's now?? i havent bought any in awhile.....

$1.40 a disc can S a D

http://www.supermediastore.com/dvd-p...r-section.html
Old 2008-03-28, 12:05 PM
The Happy Guy
559.93 GB/1.09 TB/1.99

thanks drew.... fuck i was paying like 15.00 for 3 memorex at staples....f that.
i guess at 1.40 a disc i can burn a few more coasters and not worry about it....
i could never make heads or tails over DVD9... some would work and some dont..
does it have anything to do with the way the files were auther'd...i have always use the same dics(see above) and the same burner....(XX)
just could'nt get on a roll.......

Old 2008-03-28, 12:13 PM
jack your body
379.68 GB/353.76 GB/0.93

Quote:
Originally Posted by shopkin View Post
thanks drew.... fuck i was paying like 15.00 for 3 memorex at staples....f that.
i guess at 1.40 a disc i can burn a few more coasters and not worry about it....
i could never make heads or tails over DVD9... some would work and some dont..
does it have anything to do with the way the files were auther'd...i have always use the same dics(see above) and the same burner....(XX)
just could'nt get on a roll.......
im assuming your younger and less of a dorm than most people posting in this topic

you can always MAKE it work if you want to

most these people here probably rage netfilx and dont take the extra step to compress, because they have dope HD tvs or dont want get up in the middle of a feature film as if they were using laserdiscs

DLs are the minority...thats why gg allin shits on them while fucking your grandmas throat with his shit covered dick

i think that about wraps things up

FUCKING JERK STORE
Old 2008-03-28, 12:26 PM
Tubular
0.00 KB/0.00 KB/---

damn that's some hard core language and resentment for something in a technobabble thread.
Old 2008-03-28, 12:32 PM
The Happy Guy
559.93 GB/1.09 TB/1.99

maybe not younger,just not any smarter....
i could never MAKE those things work... im clueless as far as where to begin if the
DVD stops burning because of an error....i guess that what you mean as far as the home consumer...ya?(though im probably a bit below average) i dont see any DVD5 burning problem threads.... so why do 9's have so many more issues than 5's? i know im not alone here...(hello hello??) anyway i do think its worth the time and effort(& $) to make them work every time. ill choose to compress for the time being and do trades to get the hi res if needed.......

The Traders' Den > Where we go to learn ..... > Technobabble