The Traders' Den  

The Traders' Den > Where we go to learn ..... > Technobabble

Notices

Technobabble Post your general Need for Help questions here.
Lossy or Lossless?
Moderators

Old 2006-01-15, 11:44 PM
18.05 GB/6.34 GB/0.35

Re: M4v

Quote:
Originally Posted by starman714
what's better about Jet over VLC ?
I've never used VLC but I'm sure it's legit - overall it seems to get good reviews. But some reader reviews:

Cons: Needs a better web player, there are no controls like stop, pause, play, etc. Doesn't support real media formats.

Cons: The skinning department needs a little development. Though it can play music files it's not really designed to be much of a jukebox so best to stick with it's video qualities.

-Steven Wright
Reply With Quote Reply with Nested Quotes
Old 2006-01-15, 11:46 PM
18.05 GB/6.34 GB/0.35

Quote:
Originally Posted by spiritinaphoto
I'm just mentioning that there's no point in her snagging that (apparently) non-free program ozhawk mentioned.
It's free as I only use the free version.

-Steven Wright
Old 2006-01-15, 11:47 PM
36.98 GB/52.39 GB/1.42

Quote:
I think unless you've got one of Cowon's mp3 players, you're probably fine just sticking with VLC. Not to mention I think the program he mentioned isn't free.
it's not....not the fully functioning version , unless you steal it via *insert Pirate/Nova type torrent tracker here* ...but why bother when VLC is free and from what I read on Jet's site , they both do the same things as far as the average user knows how to do....( now define "average"...well , you know what I mean...)

EDIT:
and I think VLC has all of those controls you mentioned above , oz , depending on how the user opts to set up the GUI....I haven't used it in a long time...just keep the .exe around for a situation where I might need it....

"We all got it coming, kid." ~ William Munny

suicide nazi gunslinger blazin' down the hall tonight ~ PJ Stevey

in your pomp and all your glory, you're a poorer man than me, as you lick the boots of death born out of fear ~ Ian Anderson

Quote:
Originally Posted by general eclectic View Post
Because we can't get by without [you].
Old 2006-01-16, 12:09 AM
18.05 GB/6.34 GB/0.35

Quote:
it's not....not the fully functioning version , unless you steal it via *insert Pirate/Nova type torrent tracker here* ...but why bother when VLC is free and from what I read on Jet's site , they both do the same things as far as the average user knows how to do....( now define "average"...well , you know what I mean...)

EDIT:
and I think VLC has all of those controls you mentioned above , oz , depending on how the user opts to set up the GUI....I haven't used it in a long time...just keep the .exe around for a situation where I might need it....
There yuh go.

Both are good enough for us average users. I use Jet mostly for burnings & shn/flac conversions.

Although it will play audio/vid files WM won't recognize.

-Steven Wright
Old 2006-01-16, 12:19 AM
36.98 GB/52.39 GB/1.42

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozhawk66
There yuh go.

Both are good enough for us average users. I use Jet mostly for burnings & shn/flac conversions.

Although it will play audio/vid files WM won't recognize.
I didn't know Jet did conversions , and I guess you're saying DVD burning ?

Their website didn't mention it , or I didn't read it well enough.

VLC doesn't do all of that

in your pomp and all your glory, you're a poorer man than me, as you lick the boots of death born out of fear ~ Ian Anderson

Quote:
Old 2006-01-16, 12:23 AM
spiritinaphoto
0.00 KB/0.00 KB/---

Well, I think if you've got VLC and the special installer of foobar2000, you've got most of that stuff covered.
Old 2006-01-16, 12:23 AM
18.05 GB/6.34 GB/0.35

Quote:
I didn't know Jet did conversions , and I guess you're saying DVD burning ?

Their website didn't mention it , or I didn't read it well enough.

VLC doesn't do all of that
Yeah, I convert shn/wav to flac as I backup everthing in flac now. Actually does it pretty fast. I haven't looked to see if I can burn DVD, but probably not. Even though I've been using it for about a year. I just had to burn a copy of my R30 (Rush) DVD cause the frickin thing was region coded. I had to use a double layer blank, though.

I actually saw it on TechTV or something, so if they like it I probably would and I did.

-Steven Wright
Old 2006-01-16, 12:32 AM
dare to discover
63.44 GB/133.91 GB/2.11

I've found that the controls are there on VLC but they don't work properly. Once you start a video you pretty much have to watch it through. Once you fast forward or rewind it throws it off and won't play correctly if at all.

Media Player Classic is good too.

And oz... you should look into foobar. Here's a couple technobabble threads about setting it up for all sorts of conversions and tagging. I don't do much tagging but I too am converting all new archives to flac.
http://www.thetradersden.org/forums/...ead.php?t=1112
http://www.thetradersden.org/forums/...ead.php?t=1140

Old 2006-01-16, 12:41 AM
36.98 GB/52.39 GB/1.42

yeah , I mostly use flacfrontend to do flac as I can align sector boundaries when compressing wav back to flac...I still have mkwACT on my setup and it takes care of most shn decoding and I never convert back to shn anymore...I have shorten and foobar2000 as well for audio stuff. I used foobar the other day to convert ape to flac directly , no wav step in there , and I couldn't believe how fast it went !
I checked SBE's in TLH afterwards and there were none. I'm not sure if foobar can fix SBE's...I never noticed that function and never needed it for that yet.
I was just wondering about the DVD burning because I wanted something that can do simple data burns of VIDEO_TS folders that I get in DVD torrents that isn't a 'bulky' program like Nero or Record Now is getting to be....I use Burn At Once for audio burns and it works just fine. EAC uses a burn at once technology that takes care of buffer under run problems , but EAC burns always soung too bassy...almost like noise reduction or something...Burn At Once sounds better and I never have any problems . As far as data burning goes , it only supports DVD discs if you install DVD Pro as well and email for a license to DVD Pro. I think he only grants licensing to educational facilities..something like that...what a shame since I really like BAO...I can be doing a bunch of things at once , surfing , playing files , and of course , my perpetually running torrent client , whatever , while burning with it and still no coasters....

Quote:

Last edited by starman714; 2006-01-16 at 12:51 AM.
Old 2006-01-16, 01:51 AM
36.98 GB/52.39 GB/1.42

Here's an easy way I do conversion. First I open the files with foobars browser in the playlist tab , I just select "add files". Then I highlight the files and right click , going down to the "convert" option , then "settings" in that box (in this case they already are flac...it's just for the sake of the picture...those are some of your Cat Power files , Sarah.... )

when you click "settings" , you get this , it's already opened to "diskwriter".....go to "output presets"

and you get this dropdown box , in which you select "commandline encoder: flac" (or whatever else you wanted to convert to) and click on it to bring it up into the bar. Go to the bottom and hit the "save" button and then "close"

then you'll be back at the first window with your still highlighted files at which point you right click 'em again and selct "convert" and "run conversion"
If I can do it anybody can and it's much simpler than the other way for noobs...

Quote:

Last edited by starman714; 2006-01-16 at 01:58 AM.
Old 2006-01-16, 02:09 AM
36.98 GB/52.39 GB/1.42

I'm prolly way overstepping this threads function , but anyway , in figure 2 you can see the many options available , most of which we don't want to use because we want to keep our archived files as original as they were...no dithering , no DSP filters , etc...also there is the option of selecting where your output files will be directed...I always check "always ask" or "ask before..(whatever)" in any software that allows that , just in case...

Quote:
Old 2006-01-16, 02:39 AM
36.98 GB/52.39 GB/1.42

ooops , I see a mistake I made...looking at Five and Raindawgs tutorial that Nina linked to , I didn't have an option created for flac level 8 with the 4069 bytes padding , only level 5 and I never used it anyway , I just converted with flacs commandline , which should be okay , I have flac set to level 8 , but there won't be any padding for tagging , I don't think
Glad I understand that now....I'll re-do that show for you and Sugarkane , Sarah (if you guys sent your discs out)
I'll just reload the apes back on my HDD and erase the flacs and do it over with the padding option I just added...only one set of apes to do like that and any that were shn/flac files I left as is ...that's how you'll be getting them

Quote:
Old 2006-01-16, 03:15 AM
36.98 GB/52.39 GB/1.42

All done...created a new md5 and ffps w/TLH.....took a bit longer this time...the compression level isn't supposed to affect speed....maybe the padding ?
....hmmmm...wait is this the....this isn't even the random thoughts thread , is it ?....

goodnight....!

Quote:
Old 2006-01-16, 03:16 AM
37.97 GB/36.00 GB/0.95

Quote:
Well, I think if you've got VLC and the special installer of foobar2000, you've got most of that stuff covered.
yes! all you need, right in these two programs.
Old 2006-01-16, 04:35 AM
18.05 GB/6.34 GB/0.35

Quote:
Originally Posted by feralicious
I've found that the controls are there on VLC but they don't work properly. Once you start a video you pretty much have to watch it through. Once you fast forward or rewind it throws it off and won't play correctly if at all.

That's weird cause I don't remember having any probs FF/RW with vids on JetAudio.

Media Player Classic is good too.

And oz... you should look into foobar. Here's a couple technobabble threads about setting it up for all sorts of conversions and tagging. I don't do much tagging but I too am converting all new archives to flac.
http://www.thetradersden.org/forums/...ead.php?t=1112
http://www.thetradersden.org/forums/...ead.php?t=1140
Thanx for the time in pointing out those two threads - I skimmed through em both and will look closer, later.

-Steven Wright

The Traders' Den > Where we go to learn ..... > Technobabble