The Traders' Den  

The Traders' Den > Where we go to learn ..... > Site Announcements & Suggestions

Notices

Site Announcements & Suggestions This is where you should make your suggestions to us on how to improve your experience here and where to post about site problems/issues.
Moderators

Old 2009-04-18, 04:57 PM
66.08 GB/73.93 GB/1.12

Lightbulb Re: Our domains have been stolen

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheTooleMan View Post
And contact someone in the press that can spread the word and investigate this major fuck-up.

Wow, this is not that big or important of a website in the grand scheme of things, so any press that takes up this story would have to be having a really slow news day.

But, overall, this all sucks and it's nice to have this little corner of the Internet still going.

Quote:
Originally Posted by slomo View Post
There's actually a really cool program I use called "Roboform To Go". Its free. You can keep it on a thumb drive, It will create strong passwords for all your sites that you then access with a master password, you can save a backup file just in case, and it completely erases all traces of itself once unplugged. Check it out:

www.roboform.com/pass2go.html
Interesting....
Reply With Quote Reply with Nested Quotes
Old 2009-04-18, 09:11 PM
making love, not war.
562.07 GB/439.90 GB/0.78

Re: Our domains have been stolen

*** Karma NEVER goes wrong. ***
This thief- and slime - shall get what 'they' deserve, no doubt. But in the mean time- Thank you so very much for everything you have done and are doing to maintain the site and everything contained herein. Your hard work does not go unnoticed, or unappreciated. Namaste.
We’re all connected; to each other, biologically; to the Earth, chemically; and to the rest of the universe, atomically. That’s kind of cool. That makes me smile. And I actually feel quite large at the end of that. It’s not that we are better than the universe; we’re a part of the universe. We’re in the universe and the universe is in us.
Old 2009-04-19, 10:17 AM
557.29 GB/749.01 GB/1.34

Quote:
Lynne,

There's actually a really cool program I use called "Roboform To Go". Its free. You can keep it on a thumb drive, It will create strong passwords for all your sites that you then access with a master password, you can save a backup file just in case, and it completely erases all traces of itself once unplugged. Check it out:

The ms's uses this program and its pretty god dang cool!!!
Has had it for years and seems to do a great job.....
May be worth a shot!!!
Old 2009-04-19, 10:18 AM
95.09 GB/149.32 GB/1.57

Quote:
Originally Posted by jameskg View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by thenephew View Post
RE: The domain theft.
When I checked the Whois database it doesn't show any evidence that any privileges for this domain have been transferred. It appears the client status including the name, address and e-mail haven't changed so it's not clear to me how the rights or authority do not rest with parties listed. I realize it's possible to temporarily "steal" anything from a financial identity to a parking space. But it isn't clear to me how or why any third-party is able to provide a more convincing case (for ownership) then the owners listed.
As a point of information it might be helpful to know how the system is flawed and/or why the safeguards are so lax. Simply put, it isn't clear to me that ownership was transferred so I don't understand how someone is able to hold your site hostage while all proof of ownership (care-custody-control) rests with "you".
You've missed a few things. The info you seek is posted in plain sight here in the forum. It'll help you understand.
Yes, I seem to have only found enough info to be surprised. That is, I did read: "Someone hacked into my godaddy account last night and stole our ttd domains. ...However, I am now dealing with godaddy to get our domains back."
So, I wrote "I realize it's possible to temporarily "steal" anything from a financial identity to a parking space. But it isn't clear to me how or why any third-party is able to provide a more convincing case (for ownership) then the owners listed."
See, I understand every domain is at risk for temporary tampering-theft. But contrary to the belief that "Possession is 99% of the law", establishing proof of ownership means that domain theft is 'domain borrowing' at best. I have to show "proof" with every transaction...
So yes, I would be surprised if I lacked the means to prove (convince) my host or registrar that I can meet the test of "ownership".
Face it, if stealing domains and holding them hostage for ransom was easy? There are domains that are worth more than a few thousand bucks.
Yes, vandalism isn't too tough but I suggest someone think through making a buck by asking ransom for a domain they don't own...That scheme would fold like Sears tent in less than 24 hours.
But I do own a bridge in New York if anyone is interested?
Old 2009-04-19, 10:43 AM
TTD Staff
474.39 GB/2.01 TB/4.34

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoso58 View Post
Quote:
Lynne,

The ms's uses this program and its pretty god dang cool!!!
Has had it for years and seems to do a great job.....
May be worth a shot!!!
It looks great but they don't have a mac equivalent. I'll have to do some googling and see what is out there.

Old 2009-04-19, 03:42 PM
865.60 GB/2.06 TB/2.43

Lynne - thank you!

Nil illegitimi desperandum
Old 2009-04-19, 03:49 PM
433.71 GB/433.00 GB/1.00

Quote:
But I do own a bridge in New York if anyone is interested?
- I have a bridge on sale in the Sahara.
- Really? Nahh...
- Yes. But I can't do the transaction right now...
- why not?
- 12 Spaniards fishing there for weeks and can't move their asses out!

Old 2009-04-19, 05:06 PM
TTD Hoarder
TTD Staff
326.11 GB/317.06 GB/0.97

Quote:
That scheme would fold like Sears tent in less than 24 hours.
Apparently not, as this has been going on for days now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcbullet View Post
Sometimes im dense.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcbullet View Post
I hate not being a real man.
Old 2009-04-19, 06:10 PM
45.92 GB/293.99 GB/6.40

All I can say is WOW.

Sorry for the troubles your having Lynne, you shouldn't have to deal with this crap.

I have read other similar hijackings with godaddy registered domains, so I'll be moving the two domains I have with godaddy now just in case.
Old 2009-04-20, 01:38 AM
41.98 GB/18.53 GB/0.44

Quote:
Originally Posted by U2Lynne View Post
It looks great but they don't have a mac equivalent. I'll have to do some googling and see what is out there.
1password is hands-down the best password management program for the Mac.

http://agilewebsolutions.com/products/1Password
Old 2009-04-20, 05:55 AM
712.73 GB/970.96 GB/1.36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slab View Post
Great to see ThetradersDen back up and running. Hopefully the lowlife who caused the earlier problems will run into something sharp and nasty!

all the best.
...and rusty - with feces smeared all over it.
Old 2009-04-20, 06:39 AM
712.73 GB/970.96 GB/1.36

See above post:

...so it will grow into a huge, and very painful infection brought on by some new virulent pathogen, unknown to physicians and toxicologists, that will disfigure him (the ugliest of his siblings) for the rest of his life, to the point that no woman (or man) would even consider fucking him if it meant his genes could possibly be passed on to some ungodly offspring that would undoubtedly sicken any attending physician who had the misfortune to birth the little bastard.

Oh yeah,
Thank you Lynne for all you have done. No one deserves the sort of suffering you have endured, except for the bottom feeder who inflicted this mess.
Old 2009-04-20, 09:18 AM
TTD Staff
474.39 GB/2.01 TB/4.34

Quote:
Originally Posted by eburgian View Post
1password is hands-down the best password management program for the Mac.

http://agilewebsolutions.com/products/1Password
Thank you! I've heard of this application, but had never really looked into it because I thought I was so nice and secure! But, I'll be checking it out now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by slickdaddyo View Post
See above post:

...so it will grow into a huge, and very painful infection brought on by some new virulent pathogen, unknown to physicians and toxicologists, that will disfigure him (the ugliest of his siblings) for the rest of his life, to the point that no woman (or man) would even consider fucking him if it meant his genes could possibly be passed on to some ungodly offspring that would undoubtedly sicken any attending physician who had the misfortune to birth the little bastard.

Oh yeah,
Thank you Lynne for all you have done. No one deserves the sort of suffering you have endured, except for the bottom feeder who inflicted this mess.
First laugh of the morning. Thanks!

Old 2009-04-20, 11:36 AM
JRC 4558D chip modified
310.24 GB/386.48 GB/1.25

Wow!

Haven't posted in a while (other than rejecting Alex's PMs offering me free man sex if I come back to The Lounge ).

I don't understand how a domain gets "stolen" but I won't trouble anyone for an answer. Whoever did this will get theirs.

Just glad to see there's a site again. Good luck Lynne... keep your chin up!

p.s. Happy 4/20 everyone. Go get rasta'd...
Old 2009-04-21, 01:36 AM
1.08 TB/2.25 TB/2.08

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starlifter View Post
Wow!

Haven't posted in a while (other than rejecting Alex's PMs offering me free man sex if I come back to The Lounge ).

I don't understand how a domain gets "stolen" but I won't trouble anyone for an answer. Whoever did this will get theirs.

Just glad to see there's a site again. Good luck Lynne... keep your chin up!

p.s. Happy 4/20 everyone. Go get rasta'd...
Please come back

The Traders' Den > Where we go to learn ..... > Site Announcements & Suggestions