The Traders' Den  

The Traders' Den > Where we go to learn ..... > Technobabble

Notices

Technobabble Post your general Need for Help questions here.
Lossy or Lossless?
Moderators

Old 2004-11-20, 11:45 AM
Mr. Yummy
28.75 GB/36.93 GB/1.28

FLAC Frontend

Ok, I've always used md5summer, but I want to start using flac frontend and shntool.

I finally got shntool to spit out an md5 text file. I couldn't get the batch file in the massive help pages to work, the only thing I could get to work is to have the shntool files copied to the show directory then run a command prompt and use this "shntool md5 *.shn>>shntool.md5.txt" and of course change it to flac for flac files. Worked just fine. So in order for someone down the road, say on a vine, to check the files is to run shntool like this "shntool md5 *.shn" and compare the output to my file?

On the subject of making a flac fingerprint using FLAC Frontend, I read through everything, but when I ran the app, my screen doesn't have the "Fingerprint" button as pictured in the info given here - http://www.audiophilia.net/ffp.htm

So what I'm wondering, am I missing something or do I need to try and find an older version of flac frontend?

Here is exactly what mine looks like. It's the latest version out, the one linked to on the help page.

Thanks for all the great info, I know I love music, but I also know I still have plenty to learn about the trading of it....this after getting over 400 shows from STG.
Reply With Quote Reply with Nested Quotes
Old 2004-11-20, 02:40 PM
Champion of the Silent
TTD VIP
727.47 GB/6.74 TB/9.49

Re: FLAC Frontend

hmmmmmm, that version doesn't have an "align on sector boundaries" option, either
Old 2004-11-20, 03:06 PM
197.06 GB/247.85 GB/1.26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greengoat
On the subject of making a flac fingerprint using FLAC Frontend, I read through everything, but when I ran the app, my screen doesn't have the "Fingerprint" button as pictured in the info given here - http://www.audiophilia.net/ffp.htm
I think you need to load flac files into flac frontend in order to create the fingerprint file. Not wav files.

On the other hand, if there's no fingerprint button...

Maybe the fingerprint button will appear as soon as one or more flac files are added?

Last edited by Discoking; 2004-11-20 at 03:12 PM.
Old 2004-11-20, 03:14 PM
We all walk the Long Road....
75.63 GB/483.42 GB/6.39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Discoking
I think you need to load flac files into flac frontend in order to create the fingerprint file. Not wav files.

On the other hand, if there's no fingerprint button...

Maybe the fingerprint button will appear as soon as one or more flac files are added?

thats kind of what i'm thinking....now i wanna leave work and go home just to check it out
Old 2004-11-20, 03:16 PM
197.06 GB/247.85 GB/1.26

I still have an older version of Flac Frontend and now I don't dare to check it out. What if it isn't working?

I'm a pussy.
Old 2004-11-20, 05:22 PM
1.13 TB/1.70 TB/1.51

I am just recovering from a 3 HD failure and went to d/l flac front end from
www.mikewren.com/flac/ and this is what I got, GG what OS are you using, I have an easy way to use shntool without the batch files if it's windows.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ffe.JPG
( 32.2 KB, 282 views)

Quote:
Originally posted by frankenberry
anybody else who decides to call me a fuckhead troll newbie (you know who you are) should be made to listen to phish bootleg taped by a '73 led zeppelin taper
Old 2004-11-20, 05:53 PM
Dentist
0.00 KB/0.00 KB/---

digg, what's the easy way?

Charlotte Laser Dentist . com | Tongue & Lip Tie issues
Old 2004-11-20, 07:03 PM
Champion of the Silent
TTD VIP
727.47 GB/6.74 TB/9.49

yeah, i want to hear the easy way too - all that command line shit is too technical for me
Old 2004-11-20, 09:23 PM
Renegade Geek
10.20 GB/20.72 GB/2.03

Quote:
Originally Posted by diggrd
I have an easy way to use shntool without the batch files if it's windows.
I am very interested in hearing about this as well, and would be happy to writeup some guides for the FAQ on whatever method you're referring to. I've actually been working on coding a frontend for shntool because I searched far and wide and was unable to find any GUI for it. Please fill us in!
What's never been,
At the ending of life and the coming of death,
Pass not through its gates but into the dark.
Old 2004-11-20, 09:33 PM
Renegade Geek
10.20 GB/20.72 GB/2.03

Greengoat...you're right. Thanks for posting this and catching my mistake. The tutorial I wrote for that page indicated a download of the wrong FLAC Frontend. I posted a link to speek's Frontend, but in reality you should be using the one from the official FLAC page, at:

http://flac.sourceforge.net/download.html

Click on Windows Installer version, and it will put on the version that I used to write those tutorails. I'm really sorry for the mixup....so many links I had to put into that FAQ and all, I just got a few of them crossed.

Try it with that download, and if you still have problems, post back or PM me, and I'll be glad to help.

(embarassed)
What's never been,
Old 2004-11-20, 10:33 PM
Mr. Yummy
28.75 GB/36.93 GB/1.28

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainDawg
Greengoat...you're right. Thanks for posting this and catching my mistake. The tutorial I wrote for that page indicated a download of the wrong FLAC Frontend. I posted a link to speek's Frontend, but in reality you should be using the one from the official FLAC page, at:

Click on Windows Installer version, and it will put on the version that I used to write those tutorails. I'm really sorry for the mixup....so many links I had to put into that FAQ and all, I just got a few of them crossed.

Try it with that download, and if you still have problems, post back or PM me, and I'll be glad to help.

(embarassed)
So this is the place to go when you want answers.

Phew, I'm comfortable with computers, but this one had me stumped. I'll try the one from the official page sometime later tonight.

To answer a few questions from the above posts,
- I did load flac files into it
- I'm running XP HE

And why do I need to run flac frontend, if I have shntools with the flac codec? They both check the same thing. What we need is, as you said a shn frontend or at least one for shntools.
Old 2004-11-20, 10:41 PM
Mr. Yummy
28.75 GB/36.93 GB/1.28

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainDawg

(embarassed)

I went to go dl the "Flac frontend" located in the

GUI encoding/decoding front-ends:

* Windows

section, but that is a link to the one I already have.
Old 2004-11-20, 10:45 PM
Renegade Geek
10.20 GB/20.72 GB/2.03

Well, FLAC frontend is totally unnecessary, but it saves people from having to learn all that ugly command line stuff. Shntool can't do FLAC fingerprint directly, it can only do shntool md5, which is the came checksum but carried out in drastically different ways. In order to work with ffp, you need the metaflac.exe that comes packaged with the FLAC frontend there, but is not accessible through shntool (AFAIK).

So...FLAC Frontend is useful because it provides a graphical interface with flac.exe and metaflac.exe, the latter being the one that handles ffps and is not compatible with shntool. Confusing, I know.

Now....as for an shntool frontend...I am currently working on putting together a frontend for this, that will actually package shntool, metaflac, md5check (another great program) and each of the three codecs we use on this site into a nice, single installer package. I'm just starting on this project right now, so it's gonna be a while. But all this confusion over "why do i need all these different things" just convinced me that, to make it easy to use, it's time someone goes ahead and puts a package together.
What's never been,
Old 2004-11-20, 10:49 PM
Renegade Geek
10.20 GB/20.72 GB/2.03

Really?

I just uninstalled, downloaded from this link, and reinstalled and it's the right version, identical to the screencaps in that tutorial I posted:

Scroll down and click on "FLAC 1.1.1 for Windows with installer". That's the right one...I'm positive. Uninstall your previous version before installing this one, just to be sure you're on the right page...
What's never been,
Old 2004-11-20, 10:51 PM
Mr. Yummy
28.75 GB/36.93 GB/1.28

Quote:
Originally Posted by diggrd
I am just recovering from a 3 HD failure and went to d/l flac front end from
www.mikewren.com/flac/ and this is what I got, GG what OS are you using, I have an easy way to use shntool without the batch files if it's windows.
Now that one works, well they both work, but this one has the fingerprint button.

And back to dawg, so I can make md5 files for flac using shntool, but that's not the same as a ffp? I thought they both check only the audio, and nothing else, so why wouldn't they both work. Not meaning to be a pest, I just what to learn how to do this right.

And where is diggrd with his "easy way to use shntool without the batch files if it's windows."

The Traders' Den > Where we go to learn ..... > Technobabble