The Traders' Den  

The Traders' Den > Where we go to learn ..... > Technobabble

Notices

Technobabble Post your general Need for Help questions here.
Lossy or Lossless?
Moderators

Old 2013-04-12, 05:51 PM
236.27 GB/322.92 GB/1.37

Re: Any tapers out there? Need some advice.

Thanks again for the info, guys. And sorry for my ignorance. I did not purchase the Behringer power supply. Again, as a newbie, I didn't understand what a phantom power supply was. I am using In Ear Binaural Microphones from Sound Professionals and purchased their 12V mini microphone power supply. Attempting my 1st taping this weekend.
Reply With Quote Reply with Nested Quotes
Old 2013-04-13, 08:57 AM
World-Class Slack-Ass
713.86 GB/0.98 TB/1.41

Quote:
Originally Posted by the dread View Post
Attempting my 1st taping this weekend.
Good luck! I Googled your recorder to see what you should set your gain at and found this:

"Peak Reduction function (optimized for music recording) automatically sets gain while recording"

...I don't know very much about recording, but the recorder automatically setting the gain may not be a good thing (or it could be the best thing ever, I don't know). And when looking at pics of it it looks like there's only a mic-in and no line-in:

"Plug your own microphone into the 1/8" mic/line input - the DR-07mkII will supply plug-in power for mics that require it!"

...so with that, I don't know if an external power supply is necessary. But like I said, I don't know very much about recording.
Old 2013-04-13, 09:14 AM
491.13 GB/783.96 GB/1.60

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackDog View Post

"Plug your own microphone into the 1/8" mic/line input - the DR-07mkII will supply plug-in power for mics that require it!"
Only problem with doing that would be the faster draining of the internal power supply. Using external power for the mics (battery box/pre-amp) would lengthen the recording time.
Old 2013-04-14, 07:43 PM
888.41 GB/234.65 GB/0.26

And just tape away like you own the place. I've been recording everything I go to since 1990 and have only been kicked out once. Actually, I wasn't let in so I blew it off.. it was U2.

Lately I've found that screwing around with electronics at shows isn't even raising eyebrows.
I don't even bother trying to "hide" gear because I'm more looked at when I'm digging around pockets and whatever else. I put my recorder in my shirt pocket, easy to check levels and I'm done. Batts in the pants pocket, cords up my shirt with mics on my glasses with a hat that provides no cover if you're actually looking.

Have fun, that's the key,
AZ

The Traders' Den > Where we go to learn ..... > Technobabble