The Traders' Den  

The Traders' Den > Where we go to learn ..... > Site Announcements & Suggestions

Notices

Site Announcements & Suggestions This is where you should make your suggestions to us on how to improve your experience here and where to post about site problems/issues.
Moderators

Old 2011-01-25, 09:38 AM
Cornelious Jerome Garcia Oppenheimer Cornelious Jerome Garcia Oppenheimer is offline
136.25 GB/177.94 GB/1.31

Re: The discussion areas of TTD

Quote:
Originally Posted by jameskg View Post
I'm nearly positive there is something in there to be found about not dragging shit into a public forum after your PMs fail to garner the result you pursue.
You are correct. I have PMd mods/admins about it. This is a suggestion forum that was created for just this type of thing.

Quote:
Refer to my post above, where we already have a dedicated, closely modded, topical (music) discussion forum call "The Piano Bar" that gets lighter use than the lounge.
I see no discussion areas outside of the political forum that is closely modded. Plenty of crap in the piano bar too.

Quote:
This is a music trading site and I believe you'll find that the music-related sections of the site (torrents, trading, etc) are well modded and no bullshit is permitted, in most cases. The primary focus of this site is there and that is where the primary interest of the users lies.
Those area of the site are great. Modded well and very active. But again James, I was a part in creating this site and the idea of the discussion areas were important enough to create and the hopes were that it be an active community and a place outside of the downloading for music fans to go and talk about whatever. Not a playground with rules posted and no respect for them.

It was discussed at length whether or not to even have discussion areas, and the result of those talks was that the community was an important aspect to the site.

Quote:
I think you need to consider the possibility that the only people that give a shit about this blissful, lively general discussion forum you seek are already in it.
Nope, I seek new users participation. I think there are plenty of interesting people downloading music at TTD that have no desire to participate in a discussion area that has rules that are not enforced and see the same arguments over and over. It could be better.
Reply With Quote Reply with Nested Quotes
Old 2011-01-25, 09:40 AM
Cornelious Jerome Garcia Oppenheimer Cornelious Jerome Garcia Oppenheimer is offline
136.25 GB/177.94 GB/1.31

Quote:
I'm not.

as I have pointed out (two posts, now) above, we already have a discussion area that is kept fairly bullshit-free and is only very lightly used.

What would be done differently with the lounge?
Anything could be done.

Enforce the rules.
Redesign the layout.
Ban the ones that deserve it.
Enforce the rules

Get the mods that do not give a shit out of the role of modding it.
Old 2011-01-25, 09:41 AM
136.25 GB/177.94 GB/1.31

I would merge the piano bar and lounge too.

If the rules are enforced, it would work out better. As James pointed out. It gets very little activity.
Old 2011-01-25, 09:45 AM
crumpet-stuffer
TTD Staff
87.48 GB/884.33 GB/10.11

Quote:
Originally Posted by bill_kate View Post
Quote:
I'm not.

as I have pointed out (two posts, now) above, we already have a discussion area that is kept fairly bullshit-free and is only very lightly used.

What would be done differently with the lounge?
Anything could be done.

Enforce the rules.
Redesign the layout.
Ban the ones that deserve it.
Enforce the rules

Get the mods that do not give a shit out of the role of modding it.

The rules are enforced, just not strictly. Do you prefer a heavy hand?
The layout isn't related to participation and won't yield any results.
Ban whom?

There is only one mod that mods the lounge.

Why don't you just come right out and say you want to be handed the lounge to mod and you'd make it the best lounge ever? I mean, if you are going to bring this out in the open for discussion, let's be frank.
Old 2011-01-25, 09:47 AM
136.25 GB/177.94 GB/1.31

Quote:
Originally Posted by toys View Post
James why are you so hostile to the idea of a more active general discussion area for the site?

You do come across hostile about any proposed changes.

I understand that you seem to somewhat enjoy the constant battle with Freezer, but it is one of the things I am trying to address here. That fight is now trolling, no more new info on either side, just a slew of insults and ugly tags.
Old 2011-01-25, 09:50 AM
crumpet-stuffer
TTD Staff
87.48 GB/884.33 GB/10.11

I do not mind changes.

I just don't think any of the changes you have listed, above, have any merit.

New wallpaper? Ban people without infractions just because of who they are and have been?

You need to propose better changes than that.
Old 2011-01-25, 09:52 AM
136.25 GB/177.94 GB/1.31

Quote:
The rules are enforced, just not strictly. Do you prefer a heavy hand?
The layout isn't related to participation and won't yield any results.
Ban whom?
Ban the ones that need it. Not going to mention anyone, but anyone who is there enough knows who the people are that troll too much and get too personal with the attacks.

There is only one mod that mods the lounge.[/quote]

Yep. I think more would be helpful.

Quote:
Why don't you just come right out and say you want to be handed the lounge to mod and you'd make it the best lounge ever? I mean, if you are going to bring this out in the open for discussion, let's be frank.
Frankly James, my only motive here is to make it better. I do not care who and what is involved in that.
Old 2011-01-25, 09:53 AM
136.25 GB/177.94 GB/1.31

Quote:
You need to propose better changes than that.
That is the reason for this thread. Those are my ideas, if anyone else has anything to add or pick apart. Great.

Talking about it is not a bad thing
Old 2011-01-25, 10:01 AM
crumpet-stuffer
TTD Staff
87.48 GB/884.33 GB/10.11

Quote:
Originally Posted by bill_kate View Post
Frankly James, my only motive here is to make it better. I do not care who and what is involved in that.

but the "who" and "what" are your concerns, best I can tell. It is your thread... I think you need a better, more specific plan... otherwise, you're still in the group with the rest of us... "yeah, the lounge could be better".

It is possible the light-modding style at TTD attracts bad attitudes.. but I think it is more likely that it just allows them to come out without fear or retribution.
Old 2011-01-25, 10:05 AM
crumpet-stuffer
TTD Staff
87.48 GB/884.33 GB/10.11

I have posted a poll.

http://www.thetradersden.org/forums/...ad.php?t=89080
Old 2011-01-25, 10:06 AM
toys
0.00 KB/0.00 KB/---

I would like to hear more opinions from other people.
Old 2011-01-25, 10:08 AM
crumpet-stuffer
TTD Staff
87.48 GB/884.33 GB/10.11

http://www.thetradersden.org/forums/...6#post15489976
Old 2011-01-25, 10:09 AM
1.99 TB/1.77 TB/0.89

leave the Piano Bar separate from the Lounge, cannot see any reason why you'd combine those 2
Old 2011-01-25, 10:29 AM
toys
0.00 KB/0.00 KB/---

Quote:
No I meant others opinions on what could or should be done with the General Discussion forums here, not who agreed or disagreed with your heavy handed modding tirade.
Old 2011-01-25, 10:32 AM
crumpet-stuffer
TTD Staff
87.48 GB/884.33 GB/10.11

It's a simple question.

The claim was brought up that the Lounge isn't modded well enough and needs more moderators, just a few posts above.

I think an anonymous vote is a great way to hear all voices.

The Traders' Den > Where we go to learn ..... > Site Announcements & Suggestions