The Traders' Den  

The Traders' Den > Where we go to learn ..... > Technobabble

Notices

Technobabble Post your general Need for Help questions here.
Lossy or Lossless?
Moderators

Old 2008-01-04, 08:29 PM
TTD VIP
3.00 TB/13.22 TB/4.41

Re: Got the call from Comcast !

Does anybody else have Verizon Fios?
Just a few minutes ago I was running at 515kb Download and 110KB Upload.
Reply With Quote Reply with Nested Quotes
Old 2008-01-04, 10:19 PM
Help, I'm Iraq
132.57 GB/235.30 GB/1.77

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsocket View Post
The trick for Cablevision, at least in my case, was actually not even to bother with supervisors. I did speak to one who cut a few things off my bill but then patronized me about how they are a business that is providing a service in exchange for money... Thank you Mr. Harvard MBA!

It wasn't until I spoke to the "retention" department that the food gates opened up. My sense was that the supervisors were there to solve problems with customer service but the sole purpose of the retention department is to talk customers into not canceling their service.

I totally agree though Kstyle - customer service and business practices will continue to become more laughable unless more people start fighting back against the bull shit.

You might want to remind mr harvard mba that they are not just a business providing a take it or leave it service....they are franchises, and thus subject to political pressure, and believe it or not, that's the way to fight back.
Old 2008-01-05, 09:46 AM
TTD VIP
3.00 TB/13.22 TB/4.41

Quote:
Originally Posted by door71 View Post
This morning it's running at 100.2KB Download and 219KB Upload.

Comcast is the worst company I have ever dealt with.
I bitched about my cable bill and threatened to use another provider and they cut my bill in half for 12 months.............................of course they'll try to raise it again at that time.
Old 2008-01-05, 10:45 AM
2.65 GB/1.31 GB/0.49

im debating getting rid of my cable tv and my telephone and replacing it with comcast = watching tv and movies and att dsl = web use and skype, i live in the bay area and as far as i know we only have comcast and at&t and a company speakeasy, but there prices are about the same as comcast and their privacy policy doesnt look much better. and since at&t has 15 dollar service i think i may end up saving money after i get rid of my phone and tv service. i despise both companies btw so i pray we get some better service in this area.
Old 2008-01-05, 02:22 PM
Music of the Spheres
81.55 GB/77.39 GB/0.95

Dont forget to file complaints with your local Board of Public Utilities against comcrap not disclosing the full terms of service if/when they make threats to cancel the service you pay for.
Old 2008-01-06, 06:54 PM
Give Peace a Chance
TTD VIP
2.40 TB/38.34 TB/16.01

Quote:
Originally Posted by door71 View Post

Wide open I get 2200kbos up from my fios 20/2-

Good Shit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Powderfinger View Post
I could give a fuck less if someone says thank you...as long as they keep seeding once their download is complete...

Oh...and Fuck you Weeboz
Warum Tutes Weh Wenn ich Pinkle
Old 2008-01-08, 05:03 PM
267.31 GB/2.55 TB/9.76

I've seen 500KB/sec download and 95KB/sec upload from my Qwest DSL service. $36/month baby.
Old 2008-01-10, 03:01 PM
260.98 GB/315.83 GB/1.21

phaak comcrap

i'll never use comcrap even i have to go back to dial-up. i'm using at&t yahoo dsl (elite, 750KB up/96KB down for $35) http://promo.yahoo.com/att/packages.html and no problem so far
Old 2008-01-11, 07:28 AM
Music of the Spheres
81.55 GB/77.39 GB/0.95

The nefarious "they" called me a couple of days ago claiming I've downloaded 500 gigs the last month! WOO go me! lol

I think they're full of shit, I don't think I could download 500 gigs in a month even going full-throttle 24/7!

I'm preparing a letter to be sent to the local franchise board, ftc & fcc, along with comcrap's top brass, since I'm basically being put under threat and accused of abuse when they've produced no guidelines or evidence of wrong-doing.

During the conversation with the very rude ahole on the phone, he kept making inferences but nothing specific, so of course I'm not going to volunteer information they could use against me, I just act stupid If they don't want to reveal details, I'm not going to offer speculation for them to use against me.

I asked several times to explain, and to tell me what they want me to do to fix the problem, never got an answer, just the vague implication that if I continue using the network (as provided) I'd be terminated. The end of the conversation was me telling the rude twerp I'm sorry to hear that comcast treats its customers that way, and there's other isp's in the area so, whatever. I can't fix when they refuse to tell me what the problem is.

Upon doing a bit of research, the GB limits are becoming standard in many isp's tos/aup. So far, Sprint EVDO seems to be the only one offering "unlimited" downloads on their broadband. That'll be my next venture once comcrap violates my contract with them by terminating me without proof of wrong-doing.

The day of data quotas is here my friends.
Old 2008-01-11, 11:50 AM
Music of the Spheres
81.55 GB/77.39 GB/0.95

Here's the letter I'm sending:

http://comcastmustdie.blogspot.com/2...96854812403830
Old 2008-01-11, 12:41 PM
welcome to the water ball
218.15 GB/255.13 GB/1.17

Well done, ROSC! Had to laugh when I saw your avatar/name...kind of hard getting a fair deal from the Priests of Cablynx, ain't it? We are well into 1984/2112, if only more folks would wake the fuck up and notice. Oceania has always been at war with Eurasia...let's call Iran up too...
The more we allow DC to control us like puppets, the more we will be screwed by big biz with little recourse. But as that site you linked to shows, anger can be power. Joe Strummer always had great cable service in his squat!
If more people continued to hammer away at customer service/supervisors with the addition of complaints to local regulatory boards (everyone's got one) and maybe even a few photocopied warnings to other prospective customers duct-taped to strategic phone poles in the area, etc, I do believe the message will be delivered. Buying a small amount of stock and going to shareholders' meetings can be a very interesting and useful experieince, btw.
Or just set up a local version of that comcast-must-die blog for everyone in your area, and use specifics. Upper mgmt will get the message mighty fast that way.
It's almost hilariously ironic that they sell us all the glories of broadband and then cut us off if we try to enjoy what we pay for. Well, fuck 'em. Competition will increase as more people demand alternatives. We all need to be squeakier wheels is all. They've got us so hypnotized and full of gmo-food and tv lies in theis country that we are truly becoming sheep who will take whatever crap they feed us. This war will go on forever, 'cause so few are really complaining. I had to laugh at the "polls" which showed the other day that voters are more concerned about the economy than the war!! That's classic. No connection between them, folks! We can just go on borrowing hundreds of billions from China and Japan and watch 100-dollar oil crush our economy while Lockheed and Boeing and Exxon stock skyrockets. 9/11 sure set them up nicely to do whatever the hell they want, all in the name of "security". What a happy coincidence!
This is all connected. They want us to have the illusion of power, but not the reality. Bandwidth is power, more and more. That we can communicate and organize like this is something they fear.
And hey, y'all really think they aren't fuming that we are getting all this "free" entertainment? No taxes on each show we download? And less demand for their $20 dvds with ten minutes of ads at the beginning and then FBI ads we are forced to watch on the disc we just paid for?
Stick it to them every way you can, and if we all share what we learn, things will change.
This is our country and our money, after all.
PS Hang up immediately on anyone who calls you and won't give their name. They must identify themselves with a company id number and a first name. It's the law; use it against them for a change.
Old 2008-01-11, 01:54 PM
1.21 GB/2.97 GB/2.46

good luck with that.
Old 2008-01-11, 03:12 PM
Music of the Spheres
81.55 GB/77.39 GB/0.95

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kstyle View Post
We are well into 1984/2112, if only more folks would wake the fuck up and notice.
It's my firm belief people won't care to do anything until they're no longer able to go to Walmart and buy junk.

Communist Russia would've been a smashing success if they only followed the Walmart model. Give people the illusion of choice (shitpile1 is on sale for $10.99!) Pay them just enough to survive.

Quote:
If more people continued to hammer away at customer service/supervisors with the addition of complaints to local regulatory boards
Well, in this area, I'll likely be the only one protesting at all. I know from experience. A much bigger injustice happened to us, involving a mobile home park, corrupt public officials and an unscrupulous landowner. I wrote letters to every level of government here, never got a reply beyond (best response "we're sorry to hear about that!" So apparently in Luzerne County, PA. it's perfectly acceptable for a wealthy landowner to commit illegal acts. Given how corrupt this area is, I would be shocked if they give a crap about what wealthy Comcast is doing. After all, it's only ONE person complaining! (That was Pennsylvania's District Attorney and Consumer Protection's response.)

Quote:
and maybe even a few photocopied warnings to other prospective customers duct-taped to strategic phone poles in the area, etc,
Heh with my luck they'd sue me for damaging their telephone poles! (Yes, previously mentioned landlord threatened to do that when I posted flyers about them committing illegal acts.)

Quote:
Upper mgmt will get the message mighty fast that way.
I don't think they care. Not as long as someone is still able to stuff their pockets.

Quote:
Competition will increase as more people demand alternatives. We all need to be squeakier wheels is all.
The US hates competition.

Tell ya the truth, I think the whole money paradigm has to go bye bye. How or when, I don't know. Maybe when we can reproduce gold and material objects, like on Star Trek, heh.

Quote:
I had to laugh at the "polls" which showed the other day that voters are more concerned about the economy than the war!!
Why should we care about other peoples suffering, when Walmart has a sale on! Dude, yer unpatriotic :P

Quote:
That's classic. No connection between them, folks! We can just go on borrowing hundreds of billions from China and Japan and watch 100-dollar oil crush our economy while Lockheed and Boeing and Exxon stock skyrockets.
The last gasp of the baby boomers, trying to rake up piles before they die.

As a genX'er, I'm waiting for them to die so we can loot their friggen corp.ses :P

Quote:
Bandwidth is power, more and more. That we can communicate and organize like this is something they fear.
And hey, y'all really think they aren't fuming that we are getting all this "free" entertainment?
Stick it to them every way you can, and if we all share what we learn, things will change.
Absolutely.

Quote:
PS Hang up immediately on anyone who calls you and won't give their name. They must identify themselves with a company id number and a first name. It's the law; use it against them for a change.
I did find the number on my caller ID, and updated the letter I'm sending to say so, so that there's no confusion about it being a spoofed call. I found elsewhere someone posted the phone numbers for Comcast's Abuse Dept, and that's the number that was on my caller ID so I'm pretty sure it was Comcast.

I didn't hang up cos I wanted to hear the bullshit for myself. Unbelievable. I wish I'd recorded it just as proof of what they're doing, but it's already been documented all over the place, just google it! heh

Ohh and with companies like Comcast, it doesn't matter if you get an ID from them, when you call back, they will deny that person ever worked there! They got their telephone shuffle routine down pat.
Old 2008-01-11, 03:42 PM
welcome to the water ball
218.15 GB/255.13 GB/1.17

Yeah yeah, whatever.

What's important is, who's gonna win the big game?

My favorite line to use on any and all company reps is, very gently, "Don't you hate it how this company that pays you half of what you're really worth uses you to take all the anger that they create? It's like they think we're all robots who will do whatever they tell us!" You'd be amazed how that and variations on it have suddenly turned opinions backwards. Suddenly it's me and this guy vs. the compnay that's screwing US!
It works, try it out.
And when they won't bite, no matter how friendly you can be, just flat out say, "Are they really paying you enough to be their little robot?"
Then hold the reciever a few inches away form your ear.
If they're gonna fuck you, at least have some fun (no quotes of southern sherriffs, please...).
This thread is going to assume ver-greater importance as we all start getting hassled by the Boys Upstairs. This whole "sharing" thing is rather un-American, really...no one's making money! Except the folks who are trying to stop us doing it...
Old 2008-01-11, 06:39 PM
Help, I'm Iraq
132.57 GB/235.30 GB/1.77

Quote:
Originally Posted by rosc2112 View Post

I would leave off the postscript...it makes it sound like you have a viable solution to the problem, and thus no one needs to act on your behalf

And I would spend some quality time with the local board which deals with the franchise agreement

The Traders' Den > Where we go to learn ..... > Technobabble