The Traders' Den  

The Traders' Den > Where we go to learn ..... > Technobabble

Notices

Technobabble Post your general Need for Help questions here.
Lossy or Lossless?
Moderators

Old 2007-02-16, 08:10 PM
652.25 GB/426.14 GB/0.65

Working with a MAC

Can someone give me some tips, or some help on the best way to set up my MAC (Apple). I use Transmission right now to DL stuff, your site says I am firewalled, but that portforward website is only for PC's, any help or suggestions would be great! Thanks!
Reply With Quote Reply with Nested Quotes
Old 2007-02-16, 08:34 PM
TTD Staff
474.39 GB/2.01 TB/4.34

Re: Working with a MAC

Take a look at this thread:http://www.thetradersden.org/forums/...&highlight=mac

Portforward.com is not just for PCs. It is all about what you need to change in your router, and the router doesn't care if you are on a Mac or a PC.

Old 2007-02-16, 08:40 PM
652.25 GB/426.14 GB/0.65

That's what I don't understand, is how to set my router up, I dont understand that site. I'm a novice at this so my apologies ahead of time. I just want to be able to contribute and not make it look like I am not giving back to the site.
Old 2007-02-16, 08:47 PM
TTD Staff
474.39 GB/2.01 TB/4.34

First, find your router and note down the make and model number.

Then go here and select that made and model number: http://portforward.com/english/route...outerindex.htm

The next page will ask you to select the application you wish to forward your ports in (your bittorrent client). So, select that.

It will now give you detailed instructions, with images, on how to do that.

If the images are slightly different, usually that is OK since you can get the gist of what needs to be done.

If that still doesn't help, then you should tell us what modem you are using (with the model number) and what bittorrent client you are using and we may be able to help you.

Please note that if you are at a university or work or some other place where you do not have access to the router, you will not be able to forward your ports (unless you can bribe the sys admin to do it for you).

Old 2007-02-16, 09:40 PM
652.25 GB/426.14 GB/0.65

I'm sorry, maybe I'm just not literate when it comes to this. I feel like a goof, LOL! I am just trying to figure out now why none of my shows are downloading. I tried configuring, it didnt seem to work right so I was probably doing something wrong.
Old 2007-02-16, 10:45 PM
TTD Staff
474.39 GB/2.01 TB/4.34

Quote:
Originally Posted by damageinc78
I'm sorry, maybe I'm just not literate when it comes to this. I feel like a goof, LOL! I am just trying to figure out now why none of my shows are downloading. I tried configuring, it didnt seem to work right so I was probably doing something wrong.
I see you trying to download five shows right now. Perhaps you aren't getting them because you are connected to too many torrents. Some people block uploading to users who can't get a decent download speed due to being connected to too many torrents.

Old 2007-02-17, 06:45 AM
652.25 GB/426.14 GB/0.65

ok, I'll try downloading less and increase my upload speed, do I have to ask these people to unblock me? I toned it down to 2 shows, so I don't know what else I need to do now but I hope people will understand, sorry guys and gals!
Old 2007-02-20, 12:31 PM
(aka: Jack Straw)
285.51 GB/1.18 TB/4.24

I've got a firewall problem. although my torrent port (9090) is open on my Mac, my Netgear RP614 v3 router has a built in firewall, and for the life of me I can't figure out how to disable it. I tried that port forwarding site, but from what I read it does not do anything for firewalls. any advise?

btw damageinc78, you shouldn't have to ask anyone to "unblock" you. personally I never download more than two shows at once, usually just one, then once I start seeding (when my download is done) I open my second torrent....you should notice a big improvement running less at once. hope this helps!
Old 2007-02-20, 02:39 PM
On the Beach
666.18 GB/1.29 TB/1.99

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackknife
I've got a firewall problem. although my torrent port (9090) is open on my Mac, my Netgear RP614 v3 router has a built in firewall, and for the life of me I can't figure out how to disable it. I tried that port forwarding site, but from what I read it does not do anything for firewalls. any advise?

btw damageinc78, you shouldn't have to ask anyone to "unblock" you. personally I never download more than two shows at once, usually just one, then once I start seeding (when my download is done) I open my second torrent....you should notice a big improvement running less at once. hope this helps!
here is the netgear link for your router (Netgear RP614)
http://kbserver.netgear.com/kb_web_f...sp#RP614Anchor
use your web browser to "login" into the device. (default = 192.168.0.1)
hope this helps..always a lil tricky the first time
Old 2007-02-21, 07:57 PM
285.51 GB/1.18 TB/4.24

thanks direwolf...I'll see what I can do. seems like every time I fiddle with the settings something screws up, but maybe...maybe this time everythings gonna be different!
Old 2007-02-23, 12:53 PM
285.51 GB/1.18 TB/4.24

direwolf...that seems to have done it! thanks VERY much once again

The Traders' Den > Where we go to learn ..... > Technobabble