The Traders' Den  

The Traders' Den > Where we go to learn ..... > Technobabble

Notices

Technobabble Post your general Need for Help questions here.
Lossy or Lossless?
Moderators

Old 2007-10-23, 04:49 PM
3.85 GB/295.61 MB/0.08

Question How do I upload under the radar?

I have tried to upload DVD's in the past but a day or two later I get messages from my IP asking me if i have a server and once they told me that they thought they what I was doing. They were right and I immediately took my stuff offline. They also told me that I was using too much bandwidth. How can I upload and share videos and cd without drawing so much attention to myself. Any help in the way of a tutorial would be appreciated.
Thanks,
Reply With Quote Reply with Nested Quotes
Old 2007-10-23, 05:20 PM
Heavy Airship
30.51 GB/88.22 GB/2.89

Re: How do I upload under the radar?

Get a new ISP?
Old 2007-10-23, 05:21 PM
152.29 GB/261.57 GB/1.72

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverVishnu
Get a new ISP?
this or a TOR tunnel
Old 2007-10-23, 05:21 PM
152.29 GB/261.57 GB/1.72

also check your TOS about bandwidth and such. they might not be able to do anything...
Old 2007-10-23, 06:01 PM
TTD Staff
474.39 GB/2.01 TB/4.34

You can also throttle/cap your download/upload rate in most bittorrent applications. I'm not so sure if that will help too much though if they are simply looking for spikes in your bandwidth (do they really have time to look for things like that?). You can also get into Vines or Snail Mail Trading. Those use no bandwidth at all.

Old 2007-10-23, 06:21 PM
Long Distance Runner
1.32 TB/2.12 TB/1.61

Hi Flash...
My isp started to whine last year and I worked it out. Here is the forum thread where I asked for help http://www.thetradersden.org/forums/...ad.php?t=30373 . Amazing group here at TTD… thanks to all! The first advice came from Lynne and she said to tell them that I was active at legal sites like etree and here at Traders Den. She said to let them know there is no copywrite infringement. I was super-uptight. However, while I was talking to them, they stated that it was obvious I was trading music/ videos. They could tell by the u/l vs. d/l. That was when I told them I was not infringing or doing anything questionable (and I politely added that it was not really any of their business). They really did not care which was fine.

I mentioned that our agreement (the original contract) did not show any reference to bandwidth limits. Just like a good monopoly... they showed me their "acceptable use policy" which limited me to 60G/mth. I laughed because I had grabbing around 300G/ mth!! However, they finally offered me 100G/ mth for an extra 10.00 $CDN/mth. I figure I can live with that for now. Ask you isp what is possible.

Here is what I did right away…
I changed to Utorrent (version 1.6). I turned ON encryption. I stay off of anything that rhymes with copywrite. I am a little more selective about what I grab & I carefully seed to maintain decent stats with “safe” trackers.

I have no problem u/l when I have something cool to share. I know lots of you are way more active than I. I just can't lose my isp as I need hi-speed to work my day job. If I could, I would locate a better supplier, but it is nearly a monopoly here in Canada. I would jump ship if I thought the other supplier in town was better (but they are not).

Oh, these isp’s better smarten up. When Joe public starts to actually use the available bandwidth to legally d/l movies & music en-masse… these guys are going to find themselves hurting really bad. The market is about to explode. I mentioned this to my isp at the close of our discussion and they got kinda quiet at first (I had tech and C/S on the same line). The tech guy finally admitted that they were actually pretty concerned because they just don’t have the bandwidth to meet that kind of demand. Hey, anyone want to start a business?
Old 2007-10-23, 06:24 PM
the non-nuclear Homer Simpson
202.13 GB/314.80 GB/1.56

Also use DUmeter to monitor how much bandwidth you are actually using. It gives you some leverage to argue with your ISP.

http://www.hageltech.com/dumeter/

Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
I hear the Rape is lovely this time of year.
Quote:
hey man if nobody else has helped you out, i can continue to ignore you too

The Traders' Den > Where we go to learn ..... > Technobabble