The Traders' Den  

The Traders' Den > Where we go to learn ..... > Site Announcements & Suggestions

Notices

Site Announcements & Suggestions This is where you should make your suggestions to us on how to improve your experience here and where to post about site problems/issues.
Moderators

View Poll Results: Should we ban mindless leechers?
Yes, If their share ratio is less than 1.0 27 4.03%
Yes, If their share ratio is less than 0.75 29 4.33%
Yes, If their share ratio is less than 0.50 131 19.55%
Yes, If their share ratio is less than 0.25 158 23.58%
No, not under any circumstances. Let karma take over! 201 30.00%
Give them a warning and allow them to make up for their wrongdoing by ul'ing constantly. 177 26.42%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 670. You may not vote on this poll

Old 2008-04-27, 12:56 PM
TTD Staff
474.39 GB/2.01 TB/4.34

Re: Should we ban thoughtless leechers?

Quote:
Originally Posted by redrobin62 View Post
I don't know what "ul'ing" means or torrent ratios or even how to upload a torrent. What I do know how to do is remaster these tapes using Sound Forge 9 and the various noise reduction & eq'ing tools in it. I've removed the clicks & pops from the Robert Johnson collection, the hiss from Zeppelin, Heart, and Peter Gabriel bootlegs. I'd like to repost these remastered collections. Wouldn't doing that here in Trader's Den alongside the originals cause some sort of confusion? I imagine it would. I don't like to think of myself as being a thoughtless leecher. As a gift to anyone I'll gladly remaster any concert tape in their collection, as best as I can, for free.
Remastering is allowed here. However, we ask that you include information about exactly what you did to remaster the show in your notes. The show should be clearly labeled as a Remaster also (put it in the thread title). Some people like to have the raw source and play with it themselves, but others like that someone else took the time to remove hiss and pops so they don't need to do it themselves. As a courtesty, it is nice to ask the original taper if they mind that you did the remaster. Some tapers are perfectly fine with it as long as the show is clearly labeled, but you will find that some tapers prefer to only have the raw source circulated. I would suggest you yield to the tapers wishes on this since it does no good to piss them off.

Oh, and for jpc3....

Reply With Quote Reply with Nested Quotes
Old 2008-04-28, 07:39 AM
330.19 GB/0.98 TB/3.03

Be still my heart. I'll leave every torrent open forever.
Old 2008-04-28, 01:56 PM
61.85 GB/74.30 GB/1.20

Quote:
Originally Posted by dasanitoyomi View Post
Well since joining a few days ago, I've caught unholy hell from the uppity bastards in the lounge. I understand it to a point, but I think most of it is just people thinking they're just having a laugh or something. *shrugs*

I managed to upload 3 gigs yesterday while being firewalled, and will be uploading while sleeping (which I should be doing now) and all day Sunday so....hopefully I get closer to a 1:1 ratio by Monday.

I'm kinda glad there is no ratio enforcement (aside from the assholes) so that gives me time to try to figure out the port forward thing, as I'm not really familiar with torrents.
Familiarizing yourself with torrents "before" uploading is a better idea than just jumping in the water without testing the temperature.

Just my opinion....which is only worth what I might perceive it to be.

lol

Old 2008-04-28, 02:14 PM
201.06 GB/70.87 GB/0.35

Well let me clarify. lol

I've used Torrents for awhile, but I never had to actually configure it with a router. The few sites I've used, it just worked. I was never firewalled, except on a boxing torrents site, and there I couldn't figure out what was going on, because everyone on the forum were dicks and wouldn't explain shit to people who were having problems.

So now that I've gotten it going, I'm having an easier time uploading.

freezer
LeifH12345
Powderfinger
TVHeadAssPhuck

NEW APPLICANTS ACCEPTED DAILY!
Old 2008-04-28, 05:17 PM
Jesus Christ
0.00 KB/0.00 KB/---

recently i have very seriously considered the notion that members with bad ratios should be forbidden from posting comments.

i think the site should automatically block comments from members until their ratio is 1.0.

i see people with appalling ratios whining, criticising, even attacking. i see the same morons doing it again and again.

it should be possible to link the member's ability to post comments to their ratio. i think this would be a good thing.

these assholes that download but never share back have no right to verbally assault people who take sharing seriously.

that's as far as a ban should go. when i discovered (quite by accident) SharingTheGroove.org, well, i can tell you, i downloaded a hell of a lot of shows that i had never been able to trade, and, in fact, a great many shows that i didn't even know existed. obviously, that gave me a trashy ratio to start. but i had the ethic in place, intrinsically, naturally, that i should seed the stuff back. it was no big deal, although it seemed a mountain to climb, building 0.05 up to 1:1.... but it actually was an easy thing in the end. but if i'd been banned, i couldn't have done it.

the one thing i knew when my ratio was trash was that i shouldn't attack people that had been sharing on the site for longer than i had, or to better effect. i don't think that high (good) ratios need necessarily create a hierachy, or some kind of 'Club Class'... but i do think that low (bad) ratio users should keep their thoughts to themselves until they have earned the right to criticise.
Old 2008-04-28, 05:56 PM
bright ambassador of morning
497.48 GB/1.18 TB/2.43

Don't think it's possible at the tracker level to limit download speed, but how about capping the number of simultaneous downloads for new/low ratio members?
Would also help to save some people from themselves when they're new to the candy store.

Quote:
Vince Gill:
I just got an award presented to me by a Beatle. Have you had that happen yet, Kanye?
Quote:
Originally Posted by karmakat View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by jameskg View Post
I knew that was the wrong answer
such is the nature of Gilligan.
Old 2008-04-28, 06:08 PM
201.06 GB/70.87 GB/0.35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesus Christ View Post
recently i have very seriously considered the notion that members with bad ratios should be forbidden from posting comments.

i think the site should automatically block comments from members until their ratio is 1.0.

i see people with appalling ratios whining, criticising, even attacking. i see the same morons doing it again and again.

it should be possible to link the member's ability to post comments to their ratio. i think this would be a good thing.

these assholes that download but never share back have no right to verbally assault people who take sharing seriously.

that's as far as a ban should go. when i discovered (quite by accident) SharingTheGroove.org, well, i can tell you, i downloaded a hell of a lot of shows that i had never been able to trade, and, in fact, a great many shows that i didn't even know existed. obviously, that gave me a trashy ratio to start. but i had the ethic in place, intrinsically, naturally, that i should seed the stuff back. it was no big deal, although it seemed a mountain to climb, building 0.05 up to 1:1.... but it actually was an easy thing in the end. but if i'd been banned, i couldn't have done it.

the one thing i knew when my ratio was trash was that i shouldn't attack people that had been sharing on the site for longer than i had, or to better effect. i don't think that high (good) ratios need necessarily create a hierachy, or some kind of 'Club Class'... but i do think that low (bad) ratio users should keep their thoughts to themselves until they have earned the right to criticise.
But that's under the assumption that 100% of the people who have bad ratios are doing it because they're just trying to snatch and run, and have no intentions of seeding back.

I understand the idea behind what you're suggesting, and far be it from me to question Jesus Christ, but I think that's going to do more harm than good.

True, if you're only here to steal bandwidth by raping the torrents and not giving anything back, yes, you really shouldn't say anything to others that DO.

However, not everyone that has a bad ratio is the result of raping torrents.

And as for the attacks and all, just from my week (or less) of being here, I've noticed that everyone seems to attack everyone, so you could say they're just fitting in. Everyone is rude to everyone, so it's not like the leecher is standing out.

freezer
LeifH12345
Powderfinger
TVHeadAssPhuck

Old 2008-04-28, 07:05 PM
TTD Staff
474.39 GB/2.01 TB/4.34

Quote:
And as for the attacks and all, just from my week (or less) of being here, I've noticed that everyone seems to attack everyone, so you could say they're just fitting in. Everyone is rude to everyone, so it's not like the leecher is standing out.
Actually, we do try to keep Lounge attitude/stuff in The Lounge. The Lounge is kinda our unmoderated forum. The other forums we do try to keep un-lounge-like.

Yeah Jesus, I do wish that those that don't share would just shut up with the rude comments in the torrents. However, it isn't always just those that have low ratios that make the rude comments. There is a difference between making a rude comment and giving constructive criticism and unfortunately, some people have not learned that distinction.

Old 2008-04-28, 07:34 PM
TTD VIP
0.00 KB/0.00 KB/---

Quote:
Originally Posted by U2Lynne View Post
.....Yeah Jesus, I do wish that those that don't share would just shut up with the rude comments in the torrents.
Don't you feel just a bit strange having to explain manners to the Son Of GOD?

Quote:
You wall-eyed apple-knocking pig-fuckers! You don't know shit!
Old 2008-04-28, 09:49 PM
61.85 GB/74.30 GB/1.20

lmmfao!!!!!

Nice one freezer....maybe now your ticket to the "pearly" gates is in the mail...heehee.

Quote:
Originally Posted by freezer View Post
Quote:
.....Yeah Jesus, I do wish that those that don't share would just shut up with the rude comments in the torrents.
Don't you feel just a bit strange having to explain manners to the Son Of GOD?

Old 2008-04-28, 11:22 PM
894.51 GB/3.48 TB/3.98

Quote:
Yeah Jesus, I do wish that those that don't share would just shut up with the rude comments in the torrents.
Speaking for myself, I see far more rude comments coming from the people with "good" ratios. It's like a contest around here to see who can be the first to insult and denigrate anyone who dares to post a marginally-critical comment without a perfect ratio (preferably 10.0 or higher).
Old 2008-04-28, 11:38 PM
201.06 GB/70.87 GB/0.35

Quote:
Originally Posted by scratchie View Post
Quote:
Yeah Jesus, I do wish that those that don't share would just shut up with the rude comments in the torrents.
Speaking for myself, I see far more rude comments coming from the people with "good" ratios. It's like a contest around here to see who can be the first to insult and denigrate anyone who dares to post a marginally-critical comment without a perfect ratio (preferably 10.0 or higher).
Winner, Winner Chicken Dinner!!!!!

That's the exact mentality that a lot of people have. That's why I'm mostly staying out of the Lounge and just look to help people in other threads in whatever ways I can. I'm too old to deal with stupidity.

freezer
LeifH12345
Powderfinger
TVHeadAssPhuck

Old 2008-04-28, 11:46 PM
TTD VIP
0.00 KB/0.00 KB/---

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by scratchie View Post
Winner, Winner Chicken Dinner!!!!!

That's the exact mentality that a lot of people have. That's why I'm mostly staying out of the Lounge and just look to help people in other threads in whatever ways I can. I'm too old to deal with stupidity.
You figured it out, congratulations, Napoleon. You might make it yet.
Old 2008-04-28, 11:53 PM
201.06 GB/70.87 GB/0.35

Yeah...I'm a slow learner sometimes.

freezer
LeifH12345
Powderfinger
TVHeadAssPhuck

Old 2008-04-29, 12:37 AM
Dana Gillespie
0.00 KB/0.00 KB/---

Quote:
Yeah Jesus, I do wish that those that don't share would just shut up with the rude comments in the torrents. However, it isn't always just those that have low ratios that make the rude comments. There is a difference between making a rude comment and giving constructive criticism and unfortunately, some people have not learned that distinction.
i think a rude comment from a high ratio user has at least a little more substance than a rude comment from someone who never shares.

The Traders' Den > Where we go to learn ..... > Site Announcements & Suggestions

Tags
uberleechers