The Traders' Den  

The Traders' Den > Where we go to learn ..... > Technobabble

Notices

Technobabble Post your general Need for Help questions here.
Lossy or Lossless?
Moderators

Old 2006-12-26, 04:20 PM
46.96 GB/23.05 GB/0.49

transferring cassettes to cdr

I have quite a few cassette tapes that id love to get transferred to cdr.The music probably wouldnt be of great interest to anyone else as its just a local band i taped with a dictaphone.Although the quality obviously isnt great id like them to be transferred and saved as lossless recordings.Would anyone be at all interested in helping me out,im sure something can be arranged in return.I really have no skill at all with doing this kind of thing,and would rather leave up to someone who knows what theyre doing from the start.Id prefer it was someone in the u.k but beggars cant always be choosers.
Reply With Quote Reply with Nested Quotes
Old 2006-12-26, 04:48 PM
20.89 GB/11.41 GB/0.55

Re: transferring cassettes to cdr

I'm interested in this issue as well, I would like to know which software I need and so, but to put the tape into my comp as wab, or other lossless formats.
My b/f put some of my vinyls into CD with polderbits, well, I don't have this app. any more.
Any idea?

Thanks.
Old 2006-12-27, 07:35 AM
TTD Staff
1.11 TB/1.41 TB/1.27

you will need an audio card or A/D device to run your tape deck thru to the comp [RCA being the lowest quality connection, some higher end dwecks and cards will also have digital transfer capabilities]...you can then use any audio recording program to capture with...imo, the best free program being Audacity
http://audacity.sourceforge.net/

PEPPER--are these standard cassettes, or those micro ones? and what kinda bands are they? PM me and i might be able to help out
Old 2006-12-27, 08:54 AM
46.96 GB/23.05 GB/0.49

I only have a cheap stereo and doing tape to tape is causing problems.I want to make copies of my master cassettes so i dont have to send of the orginals.But when playing it back( the copy) the sound is only in one speaker.When i wound it back a bit further it was in both speakers.I know it isnt my speakers with a lose connection as ive checked and double checked all that.Now im left with a situation,do it forget it or send the masters and take the risk of them getting lost/damaged in transit.
Old 2006-12-27, 02:46 PM
46.96 GB/23.05 GB/0.49

The band are called the vow ,here is a short intro to them.

The Vow were a 3 piece Dark Heavy Pop combo, formed in Peterborough England Feb.1997 by Vocalist & Guitarist Paul Cummins and Bassist Rich Mackman. After some months writing and demoing songs, the pair were introduced to Steve Farmer who lived in the nearby town of Oundle- a phenomenal drummer who's rambunctious enthusiasm completed the line-up and cemmented an astonishingly powerful union that was to last for the next three years.

Within weeks the band had recorded its first feisty demo with gifted producer Andy Hawkins and proceeded to gig its fucking arse off across the UK for the following 18 months, picking up rave fanzine reviews, choice support slots and a couple of near misses with labels (Elemental Records financed an EP in November 1999) The Vow were also featured in Kerrang Magazine's best unsigned bands feature in April 2000.

With the addition of 2nd guitarist Mike Mueller the band continued to play shows through until Sept 2000. Sadly, The Vow's short but roallercoaster career was to end here, over worked and burnt out from touring, and in Schism with their manager Steve Loughlin, who'd managed to run up a fairsized debt, they decided to call it a day.
In the 3 years that they were together, The Vow recorded 5 CDs, and played over 200 shows, A worthy and passionate monument to their hard work, self belief and dedicated commitment.
Old 2006-12-27, 09:04 PM
On the Beach
666.18 GB/1.29 TB/1.99

years back I tried this - with some success. A tape deck to the computer may need a pre-amp because straight "line-in" signal strength may not be strong enough... I'm about to do a "Janes" tape from my master. may need some help.
Normally I would do a
tape deck>16bandEQ>computer>"your choice of recording program"

-could someone correct/assist if there is a better way.
Old 2006-12-28, 09:21 AM
189.30 GB/594.78 GB/3.14

^wolf, you're using the EQ strictly as a preamp? not bad in a pinch, but one of the things that I like about the E-MU 0404 is that it can boost/cut/left-right balance the level at input right as it enters the computer. Which card have you got there?

thetradersden.org | ttd recommended free software/freeware webring
shntool tlh eac foobar2000 spek audacity cdwave vlc

Quote:
Originally posted by oxymoron
Here you are in a place of permanent madness, be careful!
Old 2006-12-28, 09:50 AM
On the Beach
666.18 GB/1.29 TB/1.99

Quote:
Originally Posted by Five
^wolf, you're using the EQ strictly as a preamp? not bad in a pinch, but one of the things that I like about the E-MU 0404 is that it can boost/cut/left-right balance the level at input right as it enters the computer. Which card have you got there?
Yes - I was using the EQ as a pre-amp. Then using a RCA>1/8"stereo cable into a standard 16bit sound card (Mac or PC) for straight capture.
I was thinking of other options to capture off the tape deck.
I know I cant use my Sony MiniDisc..too bad I can't record direct to an ipod.
I have a digital cam - but no benefit there..
any thoughts appreciated and thanks.
Old 2006-12-28, 10:55 AM
Family Gr0o0ve Member
1.09 TB/1.33 TB/1.22

Can you run Cool Edit to capture, cut tracks and clean up? That's what werks for me using the back door on my comp and the line in straight to Cool Edit. Werked fantasicly on cds that have stoppers as well. Like the new McKennitt i did last nite, encoded with a "start.exe" (no copy bug)stuck to the capture any other way. Cheers, greyfulDave
Old 2006-12-28, 12:17 PM
189.30 GB/594.78 GB/3.14

Quote:
Originally Posted by direwolf-pgh
Yes - I was using the EQ as a pre-amp. Then using a RCA>1/8"stereo cable into a standard 16bit sound card (Mac or PC) for straight capture.
I was thinking of other options to capture off the tape deck.
I know I cant use my Sony MiniDisc..too bad I can't record direct to an ipod.
I have a digital cam - but no benefit there..
any thoughts appreciated and thanks.
well, there's this:
http://catalog.belkin.com/IWCatProdu...duct_Id=277661

I've got one, it also has 1/8" line in but I haven't tested how good it is (I'm guessing its decent). the mic is really nice aside from the huge problem that there is no way to adjust the input volume. That would probably do better than a stock soundcard

You really really should upgrade that soundcard... the previously-mentioned E-MU 0404 I've used a lot, bit of an awkward interface at first but it allows you to boost/cut the input before it hits the wav editor (unlike M-Audio Audiophile 2496 which only cuts). The difference is quite significant, price is only about $120CDN in my city.

What about the cassette deck? They are not all created equal... I'm using a Yamaha KX-650, you can find them these days on ebay for around $20 (of course, they used to cost much much more).

thetradersden.org | ttd recommended free software/freeware webring
shntool tlh eac foobar2000 spek audacity cdwave vlc

Quote:
Originally posted by oxymoron
Here you are in a place of permanent madness, be careful!
Old 2006-12-28, 01:39 PM
spiritinaphoto
0.00 KB/0.00 KB/---

Quote:
Originally Posted by PEPPER
I only have a cheap stereo and doing tape to tape is causing problems.I want to make copies of my master cassettes so i dont have to send of the orginals.But when playing it back( the copy) the sound is only in one speaker.When i wound it back a bit further it was in both speakers.I know it isnt my speakers with a lose connection as ive checked and double checked all that.Now im left with a situation,do it forget it or send the masters and take the risk of them getting lost/damaged in transit.
Maybe you should see if there's anyone local to do it if you're that worried about losing your masters and if you don't want to invest in new hardware. What town are you in?
Old 2006-12-28, 02:02 PM
46.96 GB/23.05 GB/0.49

Ive got it sorted now,ive arranged it with someone.
Old 2006-12-28, 02:35 PM
On the Beach
666.18 GB/1.29 TB/1.99

Quote:
Originally Posted by Five
well, there's this:
http://catalog.belkin.com/IWCatProdu...duct_Id=277661

I've got one, it also has 1/8" line in but I haven't tested how good it is (I'm guessing its decent). the mic is really nice aside from the huge problem that there is no way to adjust the input volume. That would probably do better than a stock soundcard

You really really should upgrade that soundcard... the previously-mentioned E-MU 0404 I've used a lot, bit of an awkward interface at first but it allows you to boost/cut the input before it hits the wav editor (unlike M-Audio Audiophile 2496 which only cuts). The difference is quite significant, price is only about $120CDN in my city.

What about the cassette deck? They are not all created equal... I'm using a Yamaha KX-650, you can find them these days on ebay for around $20 (of course, they used to cost much much more).
thats a cool product for the ipod - too bad i dont have the video model.
-i can upgrade my soundcard>then do the usual connect/config.
-I have 3 tape decks ..that I dont use. Id use the Harmon-Kardon 3head/3 motor for the transfer.
this looks a tasty gadget for the job - but this tape isnt worth the $350M-AUDIO MICROTRACK 24/96
ok.. I think I have the bases covered now and know which direction to head.
Thanks Five & everyone
Old 2006-12-28, 04:11 PM
77.81 GB/134.92 GB/1.73

Is there someone here that specificially offers to do tape transfers?

I have two master audience tapes from '96 that were walkman recorded. I would like to transfer them over to digital format and was planning to go tape>iRiver iHP 120. But I pulled out the specs on my tape deck to find out that it's only 120-10000 Hz. That's pretty poor! But I'm wondering if it would matter if the walkman only supported up to perhaps 15000 Hz.
Old 2006-12-30, 11:02 AM
46.96 GB/23.05 GB/0.49

Quote:
Originally Posted by spiritinaphoto
Maybe you should see if there's anyone local to do it if you're that worried about losing your masters and if you don't want to invest in new hardware. What town are you in?

Im in plymouth,devon uk,so this is my plea to anyone in the plymouth area.I need someone who i can send my master tapes to,and have them transferred onto data discs ( or dvd) in flac format.I dont expect this done for the love of it,so hopefully something can be arranged.If there isnt anyone on here local enough...then i l have to think of something else.

The Traders' Den > Where we go to learn ..... > Technobabble