The Traders' Den  

The Traders' Den > Where we go to learn ..... > Technobabble

Notices

Technobabble Post your general Need for Help questions here.
Lossy or Lossless?
Moderators

Old 2012-12-22, 06:07 AM
81.11 GB/305.06 GB/3.76

TTD Point Of Order - Checksum Errors

Hi folks. After downloading a Masters of Reality show this week and noting a request for more, I have been digging out other MoR shows I have. Most of these have been shared here, or more likely over on Dime. I have been checking the ffp / md5 files in some of these previous torrents and have noticed some errors, so I have a couple of questions:

1) A couple (from the same taper / uploader) have errors on all tracks (ffp - does not exist or cannot be opened). would this be caused by the uploader changing track titles after making the ffp?

2) A couple have an error on one track saying the track could be truncated or corrupt. What what cause this?

3) From a TTD pov, providing there are no audible problems with the tracks, should I create a fresh ffp/md5?
Reply With Quote Reply with Nested Quotes
Old 2012-12-22, 04:11 PM
lintoni
0.00 KB/0.00 KB/---

Re: TTD Point Of Order - Checksum Errors

For 1), this may be caused by the ffp or md5 file being created on a different system, windows and linux for example use different slashes (\ or /) when creating directory addresses. Try creating the appropriate checksum file anew and then manually comparing the checksums.

For 2) Try testing the flac files (if you're on windows, Traders Little Helper has an option to test files under Analysis). If it fails this test, the files will not decode to wav or aiff and should not be shared. What causes this? Possibly an error while copying the files, or possibly an error when the files were first converted.

For 3) Check with one of the mods (PM if they don't reply in this thread)
Old 2012-12-23, 09:49 AM
TTD Staff
474.39 GB/2.01 TB/4.34

If you have some files that are showing as damaged, you can't just make new checksums and upload them. Did you check back in the thread where you originally got the files and see if others were complaining of the same errors? Are you sure the taper/uploader didn't then reupload a new set of files and you have the original damaged ones?

Old 2012-12-23, 10:59 AM
81.11 GB/305.06 GB/3.76

Quick answers:

I have windows and always use TLH.

The tracks from the two shows where all tracks read "does not exist or cannot be opened" from the ffp tested ok (file is decodable without error).

The individual files that show as corrupt from the ffp also test as corrupt in the analysis (this I would expect).

All tracks shown with errors play fine.

WRT to Lynne's questions - no-one ever complained of problems with checksums (very few will ever check - I certainly only used to listen to the music and didn't have to worry about checksums - unless I was reseeding - I check more often now). None of the shows were reposted (I would know) and all fell off the tracker long ago.

I think although the tracks play fine, I won't bother seeding the shows that show individual tracks as corrupt, but will create fresh ffps for the two shows that read "does not exist or cannot be opened", as clearly they do exist and can be opened (and played).

Thanks

The Traders' Den > Where we go to learn ..... > Technobabble