The Traders' Den  

The Traders' Den > Where we go to learn ..... > Technobabble

Notices

Technobabble Post your general Need for Help questions here.
Lossy or Lossless?
Moderators

Old 2004-12-30, 01:44 AM
27.13 GB/217.10 GB/8.00

Re: Should I tape in widescreen or regular

I've never had a problem importing 16:9, it's always the exporting, I've haven't been able to get the dvd player to generate the letterbox bars for a 4;3 television, it always plays smashed, like if your dvd player is set-up for a 16:9 screen and you actually have a 4:3, that effect, although it's not the dvd player it's the way i export it, i'll have to experiment or if someone has a guide that would be cool (I should say i have Final Cut Pro 4, my buddy has Adobe Premiere ? i don't remember which version), Also i have DVD Studio Pro 2 and i'll have to learn how to use that also. Anyway this could be all for nothing if i botch the intial taping anyway

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Handy
I can picture in my mind a world without war, a world without hate. And I can picture us attacking that world, because they'd never expect it.
Reply With Quote Reply with Nested Quotes
Old 2004-12-30, 01:58 AM
dare to discover
63.44 GB/133.91 GB/2.11

Hm, did you import it into an anamorphic project? And are you working in an anamorphic sequence? When I go into FCP4 tomorrow I'll look up my settings for my full res project and let you know what they are. The export settings probably wouldn't effect that, I don't remember anything other than what type of file and the bitrate. Did you look at the export in quicktime to see if it's letterboxed? I don't really know DVD Studio Pro myself but was able to fumble through it enough to get a playable DVD with no menus and there's a preview option you can do to see how it looks so that's another place you can check it.

Old 2004-12-30, 10:57 AM
Renegade Geek
10.20 GB/20.72 GB/2.03

lucasweb, that sounds like a mistake in authoring or encoding the disc to DVD compliant MPEG....if you tell it to encode to 4:3 but you give it a 16:9, it'll just smash everything down. You don't want letterboxed black bars, in fact, you want true 16:9 video to display. On a regular TV, it will insert these bars when it tries to display the video, but if you play it on a computer or HDTV, it should show up as regular widescreen with no extra lines added.
What's never been,
At the ending of life and the coming of death,
Pass not through its gates but into the dark.
Old 2004-12-30, 12:52 PM
27.13 GB/217.10 GB/8.00

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainDawg
lucasweb, that sounds like a mistake in authoring or encoding the disc to DVD compliant MPEG....if you tell it to encode to 4:3 but you give it a 16:9, it'll just smash everything down. You don't want letterboxed black bars, in fact, you want true 16:9 video to display. On a regular TV, it will insert these bars when it tries to display the video, but if you play it on a computer or HDTV, it should show up as regular widescreen with no extra lines added.
Exactly, that's what i wanted to correct but i have plently of time to test it out and correctly before i tackle the concert, The concert that i'm going to do it for isn't even until Feb.8th, so for i'll get back to you guys after that if any drastic occurs that i can't figure out

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Handy
I can picture in my mind a world without war, a world without hate. And I can picture us attacking that world, because they'd never expect it.

The Traders' Den > Where we go to learn ..... > Technobabble