The Traders' Den  

The Traders' Den > Where we go to learn ..... > Technobabble

Notices

Technobabble Post your general Need for Help questions here.
Lossy or Lossless?
Moderators

Old 2008-05-23, 09:17 PM
501.27 GB/1.08 TB/2.21

tracker sending invalid data <<NULL>>

Hi
I've upped a few shows lately and my BT client (uTorrent 1.8) is showing "tracker sending invalid data <<NULL>>" under the tracker status tab. The shows seem to be attracting a lot of peers and I'm uploading like a banshee but my ratio isn't going up, in fact, it went from 1.72 to 1.71 recently (and I haven't been downloading). On other torrents that I've been seeding the tracker says it's working (stuff I've downloaded from others). On these UTorrent shows a green arrow pointing up (for uploading) but on the torrents with the "invalid data" status the arrows are red. Some of these red uploading torrents are things I downloaded from others.

If I pause all other torrents except for the four or five that I upped new today the tracker problem still exists.

I guess my question is, is there a correlation between the invalid data message and the fact that my ratio isn't going up?

I will keep uploading these shows, just because I want people to have them, but jeez I'd also like to get ratio credit for all the uploading so when I download my ratio won't go to shit.

Thanks,
flick
Reply With Quote Reply with Nested Quotes
Old 2008-05-23, 10:16 PM
501.27 GB/1.08 TB/2.21

Re: tracker sending invalid data <<NULL>>

I also notice that a lot of torrents I downloaded in the past also have this message. I've tried to maintain seeds for every torrent I've downloaded from TDD and still some of them show up on the "torrents needing seeders list". I've got 'em, they've always been here, and (I thought) were ready to be downloaded.

Is this something on my end, or is this "invalid data" thing a tracker problem? I did a google search on this and some other sites seem to be pointing to a tracker problem.

I'd hate to think that someone isn't getting a show they're looking for when I'm ready willing and able to seed it.
Old 2008-05-23, 10:18 PM
TTD Staff
474.39 GB/2.01 TB/4.34

I posted about this (kinda) in your They Must Be Giants thread. The tracker will only allow you to seed a maximum of ten shows. Any others after that, it will not recognize - thus the Invalid Data. This is also why you weren't showing up as a seed on the TMBG show. Several of the shows you are 'seeding' actually have 0 leechers. I'd turn those off and only seed a couple of shows.

Old 2008-05-23, 11:17 PM
501.27 GB/1.08 TB/2.21

Thanks!

I didn't realize that I could only seed 10 shows at a time.

I stopped all the torrents except for 10 of the currently active ones and the problem cleared up.

Apparently it's not enough just to pause the torrents, you actually have to stop them running in the BT client.

As much as I would like to keep them all active so they would be available to whoever wants them at any time, I see now that this is not possible, which means I will have to frequently check the orphaned torrents list.

I hope that if someone else encounters this problem they will read this thread and know what to do.

Obviously BT is fairly new to me and I still have a lot to learn. Thank you for your assistance and quick reply, it is much appreciated.

-flick
Old 2008-05-24, 10:34 AM
TTD Staff
474.39 GB/2.01 TB/4.34

What I do is keep my torrents organized by Peers. That way I can see all the torrents listed that have peers and take a quick look to make sure they all have seeds. I try to only pick two or three shows to seed at a time cuz my upload is only 70 and I want to try to give the leecher a decent download speed from me (if I seeded 10 shows at an upload of 70, that only allows each of them to download at 7 KB/s from me which is hardly a thing!).

Old 2008-05-25, 10:06 AM
Titled Custom User
26.73 GB/47.82 GB/1.79

Tracker sending invalid data: <NULL>.

I've got a few torrents, completed, and new, that are coming up as stopped.

Some of them are existing torrents here on TTD which seeders and leechers are currently working on.

Often when I'm trying to start up a new torrent to seed out, I'll get stuck in a stopped mode, and when I check my general info tab, it says
Tracker Status: Tracker sending invalid data: <NULL>.

Is this a product of me having too many active torrents for the amount of bandwidth available? I'm on a 768K DSL, but I've got a total of 30 torrents (which, before you even ask, I'm not seeding all at once.)

Garcias,
IWishIWasBlank
Old 2008-05-25, 10:30 AM
Titled Custom User
26.73 GB/47.82 GB/1.79

Question answered. Problem solved.

Resolution.

Yee-haw.

The Traders' Den > Where we go to learn ..... > Technobabble