The Traders' Den  

The Traders' Den > Where we go to learn ..... > Technobabble

Notices

Technobabble Post your general Need for Help questions here.
Lossy or Lossless?
Moderators

Old 2004-12-23, 12:49 PM
Bieke2be
306.15 MB/75.02 MB/0.25

Re: BT Speeds all-of-a-sudden suck

Quote:
Originally Posted by squalldog
You can set bittorrent to use whatever ports you want, I was just using 21 as an example....im suprised ur isp blocks any, the news going around that isp's are blocking ports just plain sucks.
Yeah,it is.
They claim it's for security reasons.
port 25-> anti spam.
ports 137-138-139 -> that's a window bug problem.
port 445: virus Deloder A uses this port.

(this is the info my providor gives for closing the ports. I don't know if the reasons given are trustworthy)

I'm limited at: 3.3 mb/s download and 256kb/s uploadspeed
Bieke
Reply With Quote Reply with Nested Quotes
Old 2004-12-23, 01:22 PM
spackling taste good
232.90 GB/469.91 GB/2.02

Quote:
Originally Posted by dorrcoq
who the fuck are you, the spokesman for the cable companies? Where is the "morality" in selling someone a service and then unilaterally changing the terms of agreement without notification (or even verification), offering no price reduction for a limited service, etc.?
ouch - you missed my subtle sarcasm

I'm not an advocate of internet usage regulation just knowledgable in what happens on the backside of networks and some folks might like to read about some of the crafty tools being used.
Old 2004-12-23, 01:28 PM
Renegade Geek
10.20 GB/20.72 GB/2.03

LOL...with terms like "increase revenue penetration" and "reduce cost churn", that first link reeks of good, old fasioned "business" mumbo jumbo. Just say those phrases out loud to yourself, and tell me that they don't send chills down your spine. Apparently, the only "moral" thing to do is worry about the ISP company's balance, not the quality of the service you get.

Get a clue buddy....the only "solution" here is a way for the cable companies to make more money offering you less of a service. Maybe for the corporate swine, this is a solution, but for us music traders, it's something that's going to cause us to look elsewhere for an ISP.

Think about this, since you've got such a nicely shaped moral consciense. Is it right for someone to sell you an "unlimited" internet account, and then call you a "network abuser" when you take full advantage of that? To me, the moral thing to do would be to spell out, in black and white on the service contract, what the limitations that are going to be put on my internet connection. Obfuscation of the actual terms of service and employment of unscrupulous and undocumented methods to limit people's useage on "unlimited" internet accounts is bullshit.

As many of these methods begin to be widley used is equal to the number of things people are going to circumvent. I think you're the one that needs to "get used to it".
What's never been,
At the ending of life and the coming of death,
Pass not through its gates but into the dark.
Old 2004-12-23, 01:30 PM
Renegade Geek
10.20 GB/20.72 GB/2.03

Quote:
Originally Posted by blastroknow
ouch - you missed my subtle sarcasm
Hmm....I guess I missed that too. I got such a chill out of reading that first link that, as I assume Dennis did as well, that we both had a knee-jerk "fuck you" response. Sorry if it wasn't you intention to endorse these kind of activities taken by the ISPs. We're all just a little on edge about this stuff these days....
What's never been,
At the ending of life and the coming of death,
Pass not through its gates but into the dark.
Old 2004-12-23, 01:55 PM
squalldog
0.00 KB/0.00 KB/---

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bieke2be
Yeah,it is.
They claim it's for security reasons.
port 25-> anti spam.
ports 137-138-139 -> that's a window bug problem.
port 445: virus Deloder A uses this port.

(this is the info my providor gives for closing the ports. I don't know if the reasons given are trustworthy)

I'm limited at: 3.3 mb/s download and 256kb/s uploadspeed
Bieke
Yeah, I am not even sure why I said I'd be suprised...lol, I should expect it. I am also limited to 3-3.5mb/s download and 300kb/s upload. I don't have the exact numbers because they just changed, but those are close enough. I wish I was on the Internet 2 backbone and everyone else here was, we would dominate.
Old 2004-12-23, 01:59 PM
Champion of the Silent
TTD VIP
727.47 GB/6.80 TB/9.57

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainDawg
Hmm....I guess I missed that too. I got such a chill out of reading that first link that, as I assume Dennis did as well, that we both had a knee-jerk "fuck you" response. Sorry if it wasn't you intention to endorse these kind of activities taken by the ISPs. We're all just a little on edge about this stuff these days....
glad I'm not the only one who missed the sarcasm

The Traders' Den > Where we go to learn ..... > Technobabble