The Traders' Den  

The Traders' Den > Where we go to learn ..... > Site Announcements & Suggestions

Notices

Site Announcements & Suggestions This is where you should make your suggestions to us on how to improve your experience here and where to post about site problems/issues.
Moderators

Old 2007-09-05, 06:41 PM
TTD Staff
0.00 KB/5.71 TB/Inf.

Re: Is there an explicit ratio policy here?

Stop downloading 6 dvd's at once.
1 or 2 at the time, leave them open till you upload back what you took down.
THEN start a new download, after giving back NOT while you're giving back.
This is 1 or 2 total, not per site, assuming you dl from other sites as well.

Welcome
Reply With Quote Reply with Nested Quotes
Old 2007-09-05, 08:17 PM
83.51 GB/15.20 GB/0.18

Quote:
Originally Posted by U2Lynne

If possible, it's suggested to set one or two shows to upload when you are not using your computer - I set mine to upload overnight all the time.
I just noticed that uTorrent has an auto-scheduler feature to run itself at specific times. As soon as I get it set, I'll let it run all night.
Old 2007-09-05, 08:22 PM
83.51 GB/15.20 GB/0.18

I seem to be running rapidly out of hard disk space so I cut 4 d/ls back to 2.
As soon as they're done, I'll run it at night on an scheduler.

Until I offload some of this stuff to DVDs or another drive, i wont be d/ling anything for a while.

Old 2007-09-06, 08:23 PM
Hello.
58.94 GB/152.37 GB/2.59

Can someone figure out the math on this one for me: In order for some people to have a ratio over 1, isn't it necessary for some people to have a ratio below 1? Is it possible for all users to have a ratio over 1, or would the highest average ratio possible for all members be 1.0?
Old 2007-09-06, 08:47 PM
db.etree.org/chachi420
TTD VIP
206.73 GB/1.15 TB/5.72

Quote:
Originally Posted by splumer
Can someone figure out the math on this one for me: In order for some people to have a ratio over 1, isn't it necessary for some people to have a ratio below 1? Is it possible for all users to have a ratio over 1, or would the highest average ratio possible for all members be 1.0?
you are correct. The average of all users should equal 1.0 in a steady state system. Input = Output

"If your share ratio is less than 1.0, then please offer b&ps and/or freebies to give back to the TTD community" ~Chachi
Old 2007-09-12, 06:10 AM
Suicidal For Life
1.38 TB/14.95 TB/10.80

The way i try and keep my ratio up is to have a ratio of 1:1.5, that way if for whatever reason I cant seed a show I have downloaded my ratio is still around 1. Every torrent site I am a member of my ratio is above 1 except one (which after approx 50GB i have downloaded I have uploaded over 40Gb, which is approx 0.8 ratio). Just keep the torrent open for a week, you'll find 9 times out of 10 you will upload more than you downloaded unless you jumped on the torrent very very late. Personally I don't see why people need to close a torrent as soon as they have finished downloading it.

Just my two cents...
Old 2007-09-12, 07:13 PM
the non-nuclear Homer Simpson
202.13 GB/314.80 GB/1.56

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chachi420
you are correct. The average of all users should equal 1.0 in a steady state system. Input = Output
But you forget all the hash fails that are introduced into the equation. I've had 500 MB torrents with 30 MB failed. This can throw off the whole system. It still counts toward your ratio even if it isn't useful. You or I may up/down a piece into the mix but it may be worthless. Someone who has a few minor gigs is negligible, but someone who ups/downs 100's of gigs (or even TB's), this can count a large chunk into the whole ratio. This is one of the many variables that can effect a ratio (bad trackers, flaky clients, stopping/starting in the middle of a torrent etc).

Welcome to steady state.

Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
I hear the Rape is lovely this time of year.
Quote:
hey man if nobody else has helped you out, i can continue to ignore you too
Old 2007-09-13, 04:03 PM
Hello.
58.94 GB/152.37 GB/2.59

Quote:
Originally Posted by possessed
But you forget all the hash fails that are introduced into the equation. I've had 500 MB torrents with 30 MB failed. This can throw off the whole system. It still counts toward your ratio even if it isn't useful. You or I may up/down a piece into the mix but it may be worthless. Someone who has a few minor gigs is negligible, but someone who ups/downs 100's of gigs (or even TB's), this can count a large chunk into the whole ratio. This is one of the many variables that can effect a ratio (bad trackers, flaky clients, stopping/starting in the middle of a torrent etc).

Welcome to steady state.
Thus... people who flame those with low ratios are wankers. OK, I guess the moral of the story is that good ratios should be encouraged, but if it's less than 1.0, that keeps those of us above 1.... above 1.
Old 2007-09-13, 05:50 PM
202.13 GB/314.80 GB/1.56

Quote:
Originally Posted by splumer
Thus... people who flame those with low ratios are wankers. OK, I guess the moral of the story is that good ratios should be encouraged, but if it's less than 1.0, that keeps those of us above 1.... above 1.
I have nothing against someone with a ratio under one if...I repeat, IF...they are just starting or the ratio is close to one. It's the leechers with a .14 ratio and have downloaded 356 gigs. The only way to explain that is simple selfishness and greed.

Quote:
Quote:
Old 2007-09-13, 08:40 PM
Sleeping Colorless Green Ideas
TTD VIP
411.55 GB/18.82 TB/46.84

Quote:
I have nothing against someone with a ratio under one if...I repeat, IF...they are just starting or the ratio is close to one. It's the leechers with a .14 ratio and have downloaded 356 gigs. The only way to explain that is simple selfishness and greed.
Have you ever not been able to download something here at TTD because of another member's low share ratio?
Old 2007-09-13, 08:59 PM
202.13 GB/314.80 GB/1.56

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver Stallion DVDs
Have you ever not been able to download something here at TTD because of another member's low share ratio?
yes.

There have been times when I missed a show (gone away from the home computer for a few weeks) and found the torrent on it's last legs. The 1 or 2 seeds left on it have jumped ship before us leechers have finished. I always check ratios of the members before downloading. Sometimes it works out, sometimes it doesn't. Not everyone uses a client like Azureus (like myself) and jumps back on torrents that need seeds when needed. I try to keep torrents in Azureus as long as they are active in case some one needs a seed or the S/L ratio gets low. After that I delete them. Right now I have 19 torrents in my finished list and jump on those that need help whenever I have can.

Quote:
Quote:
Old 2007-09-13, 09:07 PM
Sleeping Colorless Green Ideas
TTD VIP
411.55 GB/18.82 TB/46.84

Quote:
yes.

There have been times when I missed a show (gone away from the home computer for a few weeks) and found the torrent on it's last legs. The 1 or 2 seeds left on it have jumped ship before us leechers have finished. I always check ratios of the members before downloading. Sometimes it works out, sometimes it doesn't. Not everyone uses a client like Azureus (like myself) and jumps back on torrents that need seeds when needed. I try to keep torrents in Azureus as long as they are active in case some one needs a seed or the S/L ratio gets low. After that I delete them. Right now I have 19 torrents in my finished list and jump on those that need help whenever I have can.
Umm......other than the first word in your post, what has any of this got to do with my original question?

Alright...getting back to that "yes" answer. Please give a specific example of a show you were not able to download because someone here at TTD had a low SR.
Old 2007-09-14, 05:35 PM
On the Beach
666.18 GB/1.29 TB/1.99

happy birthday
Old 2007-09-16, 12:31 PM
70.04 GB/71.46 GB/1.02

I've read that you can change your port number to something out of the "normal" range and beat your ISP from throttling your upload speed on torrents. My ISP doesn't do it but if they did I'd give that a shot.

I'm using port #65534 but I think 6551 is the normal.
Old 2007-09-21, 10:47 PM
393.07 GB/166.85 GB/0.42

fuck the ratio , they have one choice ,let it go or close the site

The Traders' Den > Where we go to learn ..... > Site Announcements & Suggestions