The Traders' Den  

The Traders' Den > Where we go to learn ..... > Technobabble

Notices

Technobabble Post your general Need for Help questions here.
Lossy or Lossless?
Moderators

Old 2007-09-03, 12:42 PM
68.25 GB/411.82 GB/6.03

Please Don't Yell, PAL to NTSC

I looked and looked, and the closed thread is out of date. So, without buying a new DVD player, what software can I use easily? Please help.
Reply With Quote Reply with Nested Quotes
Old 2007-09-03, 01:48 PM
1.07 TB/1.15 TB/1.08

Re: Please Don't Yell, PAL to NTSC

First thing you might want to do is google your dvd player and see if there is a hack available. These are usually just a number code that you put in through the remote control.

You can convert them a number of ways. You can use dvdshrink with the compression off. You can use nero 7, but that re-authors the whole video

Here's another method....someone else originally posted this and I saved it:

You can use a program called IFOEdit to sort of trick your DVD player into playing PAL DVDs, and it is VERY, VERY easy to do.

Using IFOEdit, open .IFO files. The program will have two windows of information. In the bottom window there will be lots of lines of text. Look for the lines (there will be 1 or 2 or more depending upon which IFO file you are looking at) of text containing the word "PAL." Double click those lines. A dialog box will open. There is a button to select PAL or NTSC. Select NTSC. Save the file. It will ask if you want to change the .BUP files as well. Answer "Yes." You're done. Burn away.

This is not a true conversion (PAL to NTSC) but changing the info files like this will trick many DVD players into believing this is an NTSC recording. I have heard it will not work on all DVD players but it works great on mine. No problems whatsoever. It does nothing to alter the actual video files, so there is no deterioration of the quality. It is my understanding that many (most?) newer DVD players are capable of playing both NTSC and PAL though they are not sold that way (perhaps because of pressure from the movie industry because it helps make it easier for them to maintain its region encoding system -- just a guess).

The worst thing that could happen is that it wouldn't work on your player and you'd have wasted $.50 cents on a DVD+R. Back up every file in the "VIDEO_TS" folder that is not a video (VOB) file and if this doesn't work for you you can restore the folder to it's original state (this is also a good idea in case you ever wish to trade the show or reseed it, etc.).

IFOEdit is free, and available here: http://www.afterdawn.com/software/v...ols/ifoedit.cfm.

Rob
You must be one of those conniving jews, or an ebonics talking black. Or, worse yet, a black jew. Only sellin' your crack to other jews. And when you do sell to others, you give a 10 dollar piece for 20 dollars.
The NEW list.... Festafarian.com

I do B&Ps

myspace.com/festafarian

Ziggy's
Old 2007-09-03, 03:28 PM
Lockout here
561.93 GB/871.08 GB/1.55

The only soft which really converts well is Canopus Pro Coder - it costs more than a good multisystem player = $499. Good / 2-pass conversion is very time consuming. If you buy a cheap player - mentioned on TTD were about $$ bugs, you will save more than on lossy conversion.

And now: yeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
Old 2007-09-03, 03:45 PM
TTD VIP
19.33 TB/8.15 TB/0.42

Neither of the above methods (DVD Shink, IFOEDIT) have ever worked for me. I just tried both again. Unsuccessful. ConvertXtoDvd does the best job, but it is far from perfect. It leaves streaking artifacts on pans. You have to spend HUNDREDS of dollars to get professional software that will do the job.

Buy a Philips dvd player for $50 and you will be a happy camper. I also copy those to my Panasonic standalone to make ntsc copies for friends. The quality is near-perfect. You do lose chapters and audio options, but at least it's a good copy.
Old 2007-09-03, 05:15 PM
68.25 GB/411.82 GB/6.03

Well, the IFO edit worked. Thanks for the info. I will still be buying a cheapie.
Old 2007-09-03, 09:50 PM
TTD VIP
19.33 TB/8.15 TB/0.42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ringfinger
Well, the IFO edit worked. Thanks for the info. I will still be buying a cheapie.
Maybe I did it wrong, If you could make it work please let me know.

It might be the playback deck. I tried it on Sony and Panasonic.
Old 2007-09-03, 10:04 PM
Bass Aficionado
43.96 GB/166.70 GB/3.79

PAL to NTSC conversions are one of the only things I've ever attempted that truly made me want to pull my hair out. I just couldn't get anything to work properly.

We were brash young fellows'. I was always hanging with the older crowd anyway. The musicians were the Hip Cats, and I was hanging with them anyway. I Just started out real early. We were just so happy to be playing with James Brown. We wouldn't have dared asked for any writer's credits, we didn't know anything about that.

When we got with George, he didn't care what was happening. He liked how crazy we were looking and dressing. I kinda liked being with George more so at the time, because George let us do what we wanted to do. But I needed both lessons.
Old 2007-09-04, 07:30 PM
68.25 GB/411.82 GB/6.03

It was pure luck as I have an old DVD player.
Old 2007-09-05, 06:17 PM
383.68 GB/336.32 GB/0.88

another way is to convert it to AVI first...using auto gordian knot, once its an AVI you can convert the AVI to DVD NTSC rather easily. DVD santa, Smart DVD...etc. but why bother converting it when almost any DVD player will be able to play it these days. Any conversion is going to give you some loss of quality...

The Traders' Den > Where we go to learn ..... > Technobabble