The Traders' Den  

The Traders' Den > Where we go to learn ..... > Technobabble

Notices

Technobabble Post your general Need for Help questions here.
Lossy or Lossless?
Moderators

Old 2007-09-03, 12:10 AM
Syco54645 is a tool
125.83 GB/120.63 GB/0.96

What software will compliment an Edirol R-09?

Hello,

I just got an Edirol R-09 yesterday and was wondering what software would compliment this nicely. All I really need to do editing wise is flip the channels, bring up the volume a little, and eq it ever so slightly to give it more bass. I know that sonar is recommended in the book for this thing, but would cooledit pro give the same results? I am looking for something that will not degrade the quality from this fantastic recorder that I now am fortunate enough to own.

Thanks

-Frank
Old 2007-09-03, 02:54 AM
43.86 GB/58.61 GB/1.34

Re: What software will compliment an Edirol R-09?

Soundforge 7.0 is good. Wavelab is also good.

Just remember to always keep your original file/recording. Then you can try out editing/equalizing etc on a backup file.
Reply With Quote Reply with Nested Quotes
Old 2007-09-03, 09:54 AM
Syco54645 is a tool
125.83 GB/120.63 GB/0.96

Quote:
Originally Posted by Per
Soundforge 7.0 is good. Wavelab is also good.

Just remember to always keep your original file/recording. Then you can try out editing/equalizing etc on a backup file.
they are already burnt to dvds.
Old 2007-09-03, 04:22 PM
Syco54645 is a tool
125.83 GB/120.63 GB/0.96

Here is what I recorded. i upped the db by 3 on it. Unfortunately the show clipped anytime the entire band yelled, but it is repairable (so this needs to go into what i need in software, some way of repairing the clips. I was thinking of just lowering the volume where it clipped). It only happened about a dozen times total. more in the right channel than left.

Here is a sample of what i recorded for anyone who cares. It is a celtic punk band called the tossers.

http://splra.org/tossers/siobhan-9-2-07_db+3.mp3
Old 2007-09-04, 05:48 AM
TTD Staff
1.11 TB/1.41 TB/1.27

Sonar is a good proggy, but you don't need high-end envelopes/filters/EQ/etc for live recordings, so pro-level software is a bit overkill...honestly, yer never gonna need to do much more than boost/lower the dB, correct the DC offset, and add fades...

since CEP will work fine, as will Audacity [freeware] or any of the progs mentioned above...as for "repairing" the clipped parts, were they clipped before you did the 3dB boost, or only after? either way, i would adjust each one individually like you said...

the sample sounds pretty good, never heard the band before -- def liked what i heard...any chance of me getting a copy when yer done?
Old 2007-09-04, 08:31 PM
Syco54645 is a tool
125.83 GB/120.63 GB/0.96

Quote:
Originally Posted by AAR.oner
Sonar is a good proggy, but you don't need high-end envelopes/filters/EQ/etc for live recordings, so pro-level software is a bit overkill...honestly, yer never gonna need to do much more than boost/lower the dB, correct the DC offset, and add fades...

since CEP will work fine, as will Audacity [freeware] or any of the progs mentioned above...as for "repairing" the clipped parts, were they clipped before you did the 3dB boost, or only after? either way, i would adjust each one individually like you said...

the sample sounds pretty good, never heard the band before -- def liked what i heard...any chance of me getting a copy when yer done?
I will be selling it on ebay to the highest bidder

If you have forgotten who I am, I am the great unhoarder, it will be on ttd asap... In both 24 bit and 16 bit. I may be getting the band to go open taping too. The clipping was before i did the 3 db boost because the sound guy upped the sound partway through the show, and again for the next to the last song. At my speakers here it sounds like it needs eqed because of excessively high bass, but on my car speakers, my stereo, and two different sets of headphones it sounds fine. What do you think?
Old 2007-09-05, 06:10 AM
TTD Staff
1.11 TB/1.41 TB/1.27

the rule of thumb is no EQ

as you said, certain speakers it sounds fine on, others too bassy...thats because every "set up" has its own sound in terms of coloration, reflections, etc...

plus, in order to *properly* EQ a recording, you need a pair of good monitors/cans with a flat response, a *good-quality* EQ, and exerience/trained ears [seems most tapers that eq shows have none of the above]

thats basically why most folks prefer to get the show without any EQ/NR/etc and they can adjust the eq on their set to sound right for them
Old 2007-09-05, 05:14 PM
Syco54645 is a tool
125.83 GB/120.63 GB/0.96

Well I was toying with no eqing, and I am definitely leaning that direction. I listened to the first nights recording at work today and there was a lot of phasing (i think that is the correct term) from people walking in front of me. Is there a good way to fix that? If not the most that I will do is raise the db and unclip the few clips that are in it. I just checked the clipping and it happened a total of 16 times if you count each channel separately. I will go through and try and fix those today.

-The Great Unhoarder

The Traders' Den > Where we go to learn ..... > Technobabble