The Traders' Den  

The Traders' Den > Where we go to learn ..... > Technobabble

Home Forums FAQ Register Members List

Notices

Technobabble Post your general Need for Help questions here.
Lossy or Lossless?
Moderators

Old 2007-08-28, 07:00 PM
391.95 GB/286.43 GB/0.73

Re: Trader's Little Helper

Ok, so I think I may have discovered something. I can decode FLAC Files quickly and fine. But when I try the shn (which show up as little windows) it takes a long time. A real long time. The audio file will show up immediately and I can play some of it for awhile. But then again, it keeps saying decoding. Does it just take longer now than use to for shn files? Like I said, FLAC Seems to be doing good.
THanks.
Reply With Quote Reply with Nested Quotes
Old 2007-08-29, 02:29 AM
TTD Staff
1.24 TB/594.30 GB/0.47

Notes Re: Trader's Little Helper

Quote:
Originally Posted by dannyandamie
... So when i click on "here" it says "open", "save." And I've tried both. I get directed to a site that is in all German and I can't understand, I think it's "upload.com" However when I hit open or save, Neither time do I get a zip file. It just saves it into the Windows directory. And I get the same thing, file corrupt or truncated when I try to decode. I removed the program and re dl it. I can't udnerstand why these files aren't there. ...
Danny, you are _really_ puzzling me ;-) ...

When you click on "here" your browser opens a website. Then an "Open/Save" dialog is opened _automatically_ (no need to understand what the website is telling you). You want to _download_ the .rar file, so choose "Save". Next you will be asked where to save the file. Choose a folder of your choice, but do _not_ choose your Windows directory. When the download is finished you may close the website that was opened for downloading.

Open Windows Explorer, go to the folder where the downloaded file is located. Double-click on that file to open it. Choose "Extract". Now you will be asked where to save the extracted files. Choose your Windows directory. If you are asked "Overwrite existing file" answer "Yes". That's it. You may delete the .rar file from its download location.

What is this "I removed the program and re dl it. I can't udnerstand why these files aren't there." thing??? What _program_? Did you remove TLH???

Quote:
Originally Posted by dannyandamie
Ok, so I think I may have discovered something. I can decode FLAC Files quickly and fine. But when I try the shn (which show up as little windows) it takes a long time. A real long time. The audio file will show up immediately and I can play some of it for awhile. But then again, it keeps saying decoding. Does it just take longer now than use to for shn files? Like I said, FLAC Seems to be doing good.
What do you mean with "... shn (which show up as little windows) ..."??? Little windows??? Please provide a screenshot.

Of course "The audio file will show up immediately" because each decoded part is written _directly_ to disk. But you should wait until decoding is _finished_ before you play the decoded file.
Old 2007-09-08, 10:17 PM
527.19 GB/3.15 TB/6.12

roann: Great piece of software. I'm using it already and find the interface quite logical and easy to use. And, I'm VERY much a noob when it comes to lossless files and torrents. Thank you ever so much.
Old 2007-09-14, 01:43 PM
1.70 GB/5.38 GB/3.17

Roann - another big thanks for making this program and all the work you've put into it. I've only been using it for a few weeks, but it's clearly better than the way I was previously verifying all my flac/ shn files.

Quick question for you - I'd like to see the same queing logic that was used in MKW. When I download a few things, I usually wait to verify all of the shows at once. So I double click the .ffp file of the first one, but I can't add the second one to the queue while the first one is processing. Obviously I can build my queue in TLH first, then click verify, but I prefer to walk through the folders in explorer and double click the ffp files.

Small feature request

Thanks!
Old 2007-09-27, 11:55 PM
Innocent Criminal
109.65 GB/114.45 GB/1.04

For some reason, all my md5's check out for shn files in TLH, but they will not decode. And it's literally all of my SHNs, not just one or two file-sets. Is this a widespread problem, or am I just doing something wrong (I can decode with mkwACT, I'd just prefer the TLH).
Old 2007-09-28, 08:34 AM
TTD Staff
1.24 TB/594.30 GB/0.47

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackertai
For some reason, all my md5's check out for shn files in TLH, but they will not decode. And it's literally all of my SHNs, not just one or two file-sets. Is this a widespread problem, or am I just doing something wrong (I can decode with mkwACT, I'd just prefer the TLH).
1) Do you use the last publice release (build 90) of TLH?

2) Did TLH ever decode shn files properly on your system?

3) I suppose you're having a problem with your OS. Please run a test: use TLH to show the file details of some of your shn files. Are there "... fatal error - C:\WINDOWS\shntool.exe: *** fork: can't reserve memory" error ..." error messages?

If yes Windows OS (WinXP SP2) refuses to give shntool the memory needed. The reason seems to be one of the Windows security updates. There is no workaround/fix known to get Windows "back to normal", even an un-install of the latest release and re-install of the previous release of TLH will not help at all. The only thing that does help is a complete new WinXP installation ... The next release of TLH (available in November or December this year) will not have this problem.

If you're not getting the error message described above please contact me via email.

Robert
Old 2007-10-04, 02:34 PM
piran46
0.00 KB/0.00 KB/---

cucu
Old 2007-10-05, 11:57 PM
565.51 GB/445.06 GB/0.79

hello,

I got this message while trying to check sector boundaries (which took forever) can anyine explain this to me please?!?!? how do i fix it? I didn't experience any other problems with any of the other functions of TLH.

please help me if u can??

Preview of changes:
-------------------
3 [main] shntool 2816 C:\WINDOWS\shntool.exe: *** fatal error - C:\WINDOWS\shntool.exe: *** fork: can't reserve memory for stack 0x23A120 - 0x240000, Win32 error 487
3 [main] shntool 2172 C:\WINDOWS\shntool.exe: *** fatal error - C:\WINDOWS\shntool.exe: *** fork: can't reserve memory for stack 0x23A120 - 0x240000, Win32 error 487
12 [main] shntool 2824 child_info::sync: wait failed, pid 2172, Win32 error 0
11630 [main] shntool 2824 fork: child -1 - died waiting for longjmp before initialization, retry 8, exit code 0x1000000, errno 11
shntool: fork: Resource temporarily unavailable
Error: error while forking child process, see above.
Old 2007-10-06, 12:11 AM
565.51 GB/445.06 GB/0.79

I just tried to decode a shn file and experienced the long decode time like the post listed above me mentions. I guess we are having the same troubles!! If I need to wait for the next vesion of TLH then what can I do for boundary errors and shn decoding in te mean time??

any comments and ideas r welcome!!

thanks...mh73
Old 2007-10-06, 01:26 PM
TTD Staff
1.24 TB/594.30 GB/0.47

Arrow Re: Trader's Little Helper

@madhouse73:

I'm working on a new release of TLH that should do the trick, but it's not finished yet. All functions of v1.1.1.90 are re-worked except fixing SBEs and Windows Explorer integration. The Fix SBEs section will be done in a couple of days.

There is a working beta available here if you want to give it a try. But note that you cannot install both the "old" v1.1.1.90 and the new one on the same system without problems, so either the old one or the new one ...

Robert
Old 2007-10-06, 10:32 PM
565.51 GB/445.06 GB/0.79

hello,

thanks 4 your reply!!

cool, i will wait 4 the new version. I am assuming that there will be some kind of notice that a new version of TLH has been released?

thanks again...mh73
Old 2007-10-07, 12:35 AM
TTD Staff
1.24 TB/594.30 GB/0.47

Quote:
Originally Posted by madhouse73
... I am assuming that there will be some kind of notice that a new version of TLH has been released? ...
Yep.
Old 2007-10-11, 11:45 AM
3.06 TB/2.77 TB/0.91

Greetings. I have a head scratcher, and I'll lead off by apologizing if my issue is addressed in any of the previous 29 pages. If it is, please let me know, and feel free to chastise me for my laziness.

I've had great success with TLH, and I don't _think_ it's the root of this problem, but I don't know where else to go. I downloaded the following errorfree: Dortmund 06-17-80_Ezytouch Remaster.torrent. All the files verified, and seemed to decode w/out any issue (multiple times by the time I threw up my hands). It also was importable to itunes, and plays on an ipod.

However, when I tried to burn (some version of Nero- I apologize, I'm at work), after burning other disks, I got an error about file format. The files extensions were all .wav, and I didn't see anything elsewhere that looked fishy. I also tried a couple other burning programs I have kicking around on my HD (an older Roxio, the freeware Burnatonce) with the same result. The attempted burn was rejected, and the disk spit out.

OK, here's where I think TLH comes in: there are comments in the torrent thread about converting from 24 to 16 bit (or vice versa), and a commenter mentioning that their files are just noise, so I'm thinking that I need to do this conversion to get disks burned, but I'm at a loss as to how to do this. Doesn't seem doable in TLH, unless I'm being really thickheaded.

I'm sorry about the length of this, but I wanted to provide adequate info. Thanks in advance for any guidance.

Any thoughts?
Old 2007-10-11, 11:41 PM
1.70 GB/5.38 GB/3.17

Quote:
Originally Posted by roann
@madhouse73:

I'm working on a new release of TLH that should do the trick, but it's not finished yet. All functions of v1.1.1.90 are re-worked except fixing SBEs and Windows Explorer integration. The Fix SBEs section will be done in a couple of days.

There is a working beta available here if you want to give it a try. But note that you cannot install both the "old" v1.1.1.90 and the new one on the same system without problems, so either the old one or the new one ...

Robert
404 on the dl link.

should this version fix the whole 'checksum in metadata block does not match, but md5 checksum of audio data does not match' issue after some windows SP?

Thanks.
Old 2007-10-12, 01:08 AM
565.51 GB/445.06 GB/0.79

Quote:
Originally Posted by roann
Yep.

hello,

I was just wondering on the progress of the new version of TLH?
I hope u r having success in fixing the issues with the SBE!!

thanks,
Madhouse73

The Traders' Den > Where we go to learn ..... > Technobabble

Tags
tlh, traders little helper