The Traders' Den  

The Traders' Den > Where we go to learn ..... > Technobabble

Notices

Technobabble Post your general Need for Help questions here.
Lossy or Lossless?
Moderators

Old 2013-05-16, 10:12 AM
1.50 TB/5.00 TB/3.33

Re: Not getting credit for uploads - HELP!

Quote:
Originally Posted by senormogul9 View Post
OK, this might answer my questions if you can explain this. How do i keep 10 shows 'open' for seeding? I have no idea where to go or how to manage my 10 shows. All i know is that i go into my account, and under the "Torrent Stats" tab, there's 10 shows in green (i assume that i am seeding those) and 2 shows in blue (not sure why in blue, one of those i can't seem to get 100% of....).

The 10 shows in green are NOT the 10 most recent shows that i have downloaded. "Something" decides those 10, i don't know what that "something" is. If i could change some on that list, i would, but i don't know where to go to do that. I don't even see a place where i can examine all my downloads. Your comment "pick ones that have leechers" would lead me to believe that i can see that information somewhere? Can i see that in my account profile somewhere, or do i have to go to each thread periodically and see if there are leechers on that swarm?

One more question that i have is about "seeding" vs. "uploading". All the time, i see that i am "uploading" stuff which i am not "seeding". I assume that i get upload credit for this, even though i am not "seeding" it?

Sorry, these may be silly questions but i've read the FAQ and i either missed this somehow or its not there.
cheers and thanx for the help!
The Green ones are complete downloads on your computer. The Blue ones are incomplete or in the process of being downloaded.

The Ten torrents in that list online are the Ten active / available / open torrents in utorrent on your computer. You can pause the ones on your computer that are not seeding / uploading.

Go to Search > Torrent Search > (then a little red link called) Have Leechers. You can pick from that list what torrents you want to re-open on your computer.
Reply With Quote Reply with Nested Quotes
Old 2013-05-23, 12:41 AM
631.37 GB/2.11 TB/3.42

Thumbs up Re: Not getting credit for uploads - HELP!

Quote:
Originally Posted by U2Lynne View Post
You get to decide what 10 shows to seed. If you 'stop' all your shows in your torrent client, then turn on the ones that have leechers, those are the shows that will show up on the list.
OK, thank you U2Lynne. I've tried that and that works. I am making available WAY more than 10 shows and how TD chooses "the 10" in that situation appears to be totally random. That helps!

On the minus side....
I have pretty much confirmed in the last 24 hours my original suspicion that unless a show is listed as one of your "seeds", you don't get upload credit when you upload. That makes NO sense to me, but i guess that it is what it is.....

For example yesterday, i uploaded 400 gigs+ of a DVD over the course of several hours. When my upload started, I happened to be at my desk, so i checked and it was not listed under my account as one of my 10 seeds. However, it DID show as "Seeding" in my uTorrent client. At the beginning, my TD upload total was 30.14. When i went into the torrent itself and looked under "Peers" in the TD thread, my moniker was not listed (even though i had been seeding it for several hours, by the end, you would have never known that i was helping at all). I was "seeding" (or uploading to the swarm), yet i was not showing up as being a peer. Several hours (and 400+ gigs uploaded) later, it stopped showing up in my tracker. My upload total? 30.14. (No change) As i type today, another example sits in front of me. I have uploaded 100+ gigs of a great Sonny Rollins DVD to someone over the last two hours. My upload total before i started: 30.18. My upload total after the 105 gigs (so far): 30.18.

So, i'm totally new to trading in this way, but i do know that on the other site that i trade on (Dime) it doesn't work this way. If i upload something, i get credit in my account for uploading it, whether its one of my "official seeds" or not. As the swarm flies, it lists me as sharing (whether it is one of my "seeds" or not), shows how much i've up'ed/dl'ed to the swarm etc.... It is all straightforward. It seems to be different on TD, and if i wanted to seriously up my ratio, i need to give a lot of thought to which shows i am seeding, picking 'hot shows' etc....

So, my upload totals do not seem to reflect how much i share, which is what i was seeing in the first place and that's why i opened this thread. And really, i just want to share with others all this cool music. Therefore, worrying about my ratio and which shows i am seeding probably isn't uber-important, as long as i DO in fact "share" with everyone. The "credit" isn't that important. It is not a priority to me to only make available my best shows, i want whatever i have to be available. It is a wonderful thing, being able to share all this great music with one another. And, i am grateful to the folks out there who keep seeding stuff that maybe only a handful of people (like myself) might be interested in!

Sooooooo, thanx for helping me understand this torrent trading thang better!
cheers!
Old 2013-05-23, 12:47 AM
631.37 GB/2.11 TB/3.42

Quote:
Originally Posted by warpedabit View Post

Go to Search > Torrent Search > (then a little red link called) Have Leechers. You can pick from that list what torrents you want to re-open on your computer.
Thanx warpedabit (love your moniker) for the reply, but especially the bit about "Torrent Search". I did not know about that, and if i'm at my computer, i can check that and make some modifications to get "credit" (see earlier post about the lack of).

Many thanx and cheers!
Old 2013-05-23, 01:52 AM
631.37 GB/2.11 TB/3.42

Quote:

So, using what you gave me above, i tried a little experiment. I stopped EVERY torrent that i have. As i indicated in an earlier post, i've been uploading/seeding (is there a difference?) this Sonny Rollins dvd (200gigs+ and counting, and no change to my upload totals). I started just that torrent. I went to my profile to see my seedings list and refreshed it and......NOTHING. It doesn't list the Sonny Rollins DVD even though i am seeding nothing else AND i am actively uploading files for it. My seeding list is empty.

I used your tip above to find torrents that i had that have leechers. I found a Pat Metheny DVD that some POOR soul (we need to HELP this guy! : ) is leeching off of and no one is seeding it. In fact, i had the torrent "seeding" in my uTorrent client, so i "could" have helped this person out, but the torrent was red for some reason). Anyways, now I want to help this chap or chaplet out, so I started that torrent. It is now showing (in UTorrent) as "Seeding" but again in a red color, which indicates to me that it is in fact not seeding. Sure enough, when i go back and refresh and look at the torrents that i am seeding, no Pat Metheny DVD shows on the list. My seeds list is STILL empty!

What gives?

Then, i just pick other random torrents and start them and they DO show up on the list. So, there's gotta be a bit more to this, but i'm not even sure that i wanna know! : )

(If you can shed any light on why the above behaves that way, i guess that i WOULD like to know.....i think..... )

I also learned that "Pausing" a torrent (at least in uTorrent) does NOT take it off your seedings list, you need to fully "Stop" the torrent. No biggie there...

As a sidenote, i think that "typical" traders grab something, seed it for a week/month/whatever and then, unpacks it and move it somewhere else and no longer trades it. I could be wrong, but I don't do it that way. I have a Sonos wireless speaker system that reads/plays FLAC/SHN files without having to convert them. So, i leave them where i downloaded them to, continue to offer them for trade, AND play them without any issues or time spent un-packing the files, burning to cd's/dvd's etc. I am cognizant of the fact that if you are uploading 10 things at the same time, you are not doing a good service for who you are trading with. However, my tastes are eclectic enough that i never have more than 4 or so people that are uploading my sh!t at a given time.

The upshot of my sidenote is that i have dozens of torrents "available" and if i only have 10 to pick from to trade in order to "get credit from TD", i think about that guy who is dl'ing my copy of the Sonny Rollins DVD right now, who wouldn't have that tomorrow, because i would not have rated it as one my "top 10" most valuable seeds. It was a one-off and my way of doing things is making it possible to help that guy/gal out.... i'm just not getting any "credit" from TD for doing so. I may experiment with "the official TD way of sharing", but i think mine is ultimately a more community-minded approach.

cheers!
Old 2013-05-23, 02:38 AM
631.37 GB/2.11 TB/3.42

Quote:
So, using what you gave me above, i tried a little experiment. I stopped EVERY torrent that i have. As i indicated in an earlier post, i've been uploading/seeding (is there a difference?) this Sonny Rollins dvd (200gigs+ and counting, and no change to my upload totals). I started just that torrent. I went to my profile to see my seedings list and refreshed it and......NOTHING. It doesn't list the Sonny Rollins DVD even though i am seeding nothing else AND i am actively uploading files for it. My seeding list is empty.

cheers!
Apparently, i have to eat my words on my last post. After a 1/2 hour break, i came back down to my 'puter to find that in fact, the torrents that i had added (Rollins, Pat Metheny) had in fact been added to my seed list and totals were accumulating. So, it appears there was just some LAG between when i added it in my torrent client and when TD registered it. In the end, i'm finally getting "credit" for seeding the two DVD's, and i understand better how this works now.

One more post on this topic, but gotta sleep now. Thanx for all the help!
cheers!
Old 2013-05-23, 07:27 AM
1.50 TB/5.00 TB/3.33

Glad It's working for you. There is a lag sometimes to see your stats at certain areas of the website. Once you figure out the pattern you can be patient in that area.

Is the red you're seeing in your client or on the net? I'm not sure what that is. I don't use UTorrent but Transmission (Mac). I'm sure their similar. If I add an older torrent that I used to seed and is no longer on my client there is a few seconds lag there too. It has to verify that I have that data before it can join the tracker.

About sharing; Sounds like you're doing good for the good of man. Keep up the good work. There's definitely a balance between helping the poor soul, helping the masses and helping yourself. I think the best way to get your ratio up is to search often in new posts at bottom of home page and grab a new show early. When I do that, it usually seeds >1:1 before I complete the DL.
Old 2013-05-23, 08:46 AM
Peninsulanwolf
278.96 GB/560.91 GB/2.01

Quote:
That's a pretty neat trick, uploading 200+ gigs of a 1.94 gig file set. That's enough to give 100 people a complete copy!!! Good for you!!!

At least it's giving you credit for 605.09 MB of it, although that's not enough to change your stats much. Of course, as already stated, it takes a while for the stats to update, so that total may increase later.
Old 2013-05-23, 08:58 AM
1.50 TB/5.00 TB/3.33

Quote:
Glad It's working for you. There is a lag sometimes to see your stats at certain areas of the website. Once you figure out the pattern you can be patient in that area.

Is the red you're seeing in your client or on the net? I'm not sure what that is. I don't use UTorrent but Transmission (Mac). I'm sure their similar. If I add an older torrent that I used to seed and is no longer on my client there is a few seconds lag there too. It has to verify that I have that data before it can join the tracker.

About sharing; Sounds like you're doing good for the good of man. Keep up the good work. There's definitely a balance between helping the poor soul, helping the masses and helping yourself. I think the best way to get your ratio up is to search often in new posts at bottom of home page and grab a new show early. When I do that, it usually seeds >1:1 before I complete the DL.
I'm sure THEY'RE similar. Grammar / spelling, duh, I hate that one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by spidergawd View Post
Quote:
That's a pretty neat trick, uploading 200+ gigs of a 1.94 gig file set. That's enough to give 100 people a complete copy!!! Good for you!!!

At least it's giving you credit for 605.09 MB of it, although that's not enough to change your stats much. Of course, as already stated, it takes a while for the stats to update, so that total may increase later.
Surely he's talking about something smaller than gigs.

Senor, Make sure you're only seeding or offering 10 TTD torrents. That way those ten should show up on the TTD stats.
Old 2013-05-23, 10:16 AM
TTD Staff
474.39 GB/2.01 TB/4.34

Quote:
OK, thank you U2Lynne. I've tried that and that works. I am making available WAY more than 10 shows and how TD chooses "the 10" in that situation appears to be totally random. That helps!
It chooses the first 10 that you start (after you have turned them all off).

Old 2013-05-24, 02:18 PM
TTD Hoarder
TTD Staff
326.11 GB/317.06 GB/0.97

If you're uploading a lot & it's never showing up, you are seeding on another tracker and/or you have DHT enabled.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcbullet View Post
Sometimes im dense.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcbullet View Post
I hate not being a real man.
Old 2013-05-25, 09:46 AM
TTD Staff
474.39 GB/2.01 TB/4.34

Quote:
It chooses the first 10 that you start (after you have turned them all off).
Just an FYI, but I just changed this to 20.

Old 2013-05-25, 04:01 PM
1.50 TB/5.00 TB/3.33

Quote:
Just an FYI, but I just changed this to 20.
I can dig it! Thanks!!!

The Traders' Den > Where we go to learn ..... > Technobabble

Tags
statistics, upload