The Traders' Den  

The Traders' Den > Where we go to learn ..... > Technobabble

Notices

Technobabble Post your general Need for Help questions here.
Lossy or Lossless?
Moderators

Old 2007-08-22, 04:44 PM
18.94 GB/19.89 GB/1.05

The Real Beatles

Guess this is as good a place as any to put this out.
I have very fine Parlophones.
These are British '66 pressings of first 7 l.p.s, and first pressing of Pepper.
Super fine shape. Nothing else sounds as good. I am in the San Francisco Bay area. If you have top notch vinyl cleaner, replay and transfer gear, let's get this stuff into files. I've heard Ebbetts, etc, and this is definitely better. Straight transfers of this stuff would beat anything I've heard on the net.
I bought this stuff myself in London in '66 and '67. Anybody in my area interested?
M

Reply With Quote Reply with Nested Quotes
Old 2007-08-23, 02:33 AM
Video Guru
49.89 GB/89.01 GB/1.78

Re: The Real Beatles

Official....don't bother chap.We don't do official here.....we buy official
(vinyl or not)

But i'll buy your sgt pepper album off of you if it's mint and if it has the cut-outs.

K_K
Old 2007-08-23, 03:45 AM
Tubular
0.00 KB/0.00 KB/---

You could call some Audiophile shops in the Bay Area and see if they can do a 24bit/96kHz (or even 24/192) transfer to .wav > FLAC > burn to DVD+R for a small fee. I wouldn't bother with a 16 bit transfer, it's so 1983. Then you could burn a DVD-Audio or DVD-Video (not @ 24/192 though) disc and play back on your DVD player so you're not wearing out the vinyl. You could always make CD copies of the 24 bit files by downsampling and dithering with Soundforge or r8brain (free). Then in 5 or 10 years when 48 or 64 bit A/D converters are introduced to the market, you can transfer the vinyl again. Check out this site for info on 24 bit: http://24bit.turtleside.com/
Old 2007-08-23, 06:56 AM
RIP Syd Barrett
70.24 GB/152.89 GB/2.18

It's copyright so no sharing. But you can still listen on vinyl which sounds better than digital. I'd just clean them up and listen to the lovely sound of early Beatles on vinyl.

DS
Old 2007-08-23, 08:42 AM
Video Guru
49.89 GB/89.01 GB/1.78

PS:
I'll have your Please Please Me album as well if the Parlophone on the label is in Italic writing and not the block Yellow.

PM me

K_K
Old 2007-08-23, 05:47 PM
18.94 GB/19.89 GB/1.05

As expected, I've found all replies so far useful and are much appreciated.

M
Old 2007-08-23, 05:52 PM
305.86 GB/764.55 GB/2.50

Although the staff will not let you set up a torrent here, you can always set up trades through PM's.
Old 2007-08-23, 06:43 PM
Tubular
0.00 KB/0.00 KB/---

I couldn't agree more that analog sounds better than digital, but eventually all analog sources will wear out and become unplayable. With digital, as long as you back up the data every 5 years or so on high quality media (like Taiyo Yuden 8X DVD+R), it has the potential to last until the end of time.

If you want to listen in analog, you could make a tape copy and listen to that instead of wearing the record. With something so rare, why risk wearing it out? When the 64 bit A/D converters come out, you will be glad the record isn't worn out. If you make a digital copy, you can distribute it to your friends and family much easier. If it really is the best source available, you could even send a 24 bit digital copy to Paul and Ringo for possible official release if their master tapes aren't in good shape. It isn't worth the risk seeding it to one of those other trackers IMO.

Last edited by Tubular; 2007-08-23 at 06:49 PM.

The Traders' Den > Where we go to learn ..... > Technobabble