The Traders' Den  

The Traders' Den > Where we go to learn ..... > Technobabble

Notices

Technobabble Post your general Need for Help questions here.
Lossy or Lossless?
Moderators

Old 2006-05-23, 09:13 AM
Billo521
0.00 KB/0.00 KB/---

Foobar question

Ok I have Foobar2000 that I read up on here to get for music converting. I have it but don't know how to use it to convert. I need to convert mp3 to WAV so I can listen to it in my car only. Can somebody please help?

Thanks, and always very thankfull, Bill
Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote Reply with Nested Quotes
Old 2006-05-23, 10:59 AM
1.99 TB/1.77 TB/0.89

Re: Foobar question

Why not just convert FLAC to WAV? That would sound better than a conversion from mp3 unless you don't have the files in any format except mp3.

I'm not on my home pc right now so I can't doublecheck Foobar2000 but if it does convert mp3 to WAV, I think you first "add" the mp3 files, then select them all with your mouse and right click the group of files and choose "convert to same directory" or "convert to" for a different directory, and a box will open asking you what format to convert the files to and there should be a WAV option.
I never looked for it as I just started using Foobar a few weeks ago and so far have only used it to convert WAV to mp3.
Good luck.
Reply With Quote Reply with Nested Quotes
Old 2006-05-23, 11:12 AM
Billo521
0.00 KB/0.00 KB/---

Well lookie there priceless info thank you!!! What about if I convert to Flac? Would that sound better? I see an option for flac, what do you think? Oh yeah I downloaded it as Mp3

Thanks, Bill
Old 2006-05-23, 11:14 AM
Billo521
0.00 KB/0.00 KB/---

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billo521
Well lookie there priceless info thank you!!! What about if I convert to Flac? Would that sound better? I see an option for flac, what do you think? Oh yeah I downloaded it as Mp3

Thanks, Bill
What is the best sounding file Flac or WAV?
Old 2006-05-23, 11:19 AM
TTD Staff
474.39 GB/2.01 TB/4.34

flac is just a lossless compression of a wav file. They will both sound the same.

mp3 is lossy. Converting it to either flac or wav will not make it sound any different than it does as an mp3. If you just want to listen to your mp3s in the car, convert them to wav and burn. But, never, ever, EVER trade them as an audio disc (actually, just don't trade them period).

Old 2006-05-23, 11:29 AM
Billo521
0.00 KB/0.00 KB/---

Quote:
Originally Posted by U2Lynne
flac is just a lossless compression of a wav file. They will both sound the same.

mp3 is lossy. Converting it to either flac or wav will not make it sound any different than it does as an mp3. If you just want to listen to your mp3s in the car, convert them to wav and burn. But, never, ever, EVER trade them as an audio disc (actually, just don't trade them period).
No problem with that Lynne. By the way thanks for helping me with all your valuable info. I love this site!!!!!

The Traders' Den > Where we go to learn ..... > Technobabble