The Traders' Den  

The Traders' Den > Where we go to learn ..... > Technobabble

Notices

Technobabble Post your general Need for Help questions here.
Lossy or Lossless?
Moderators

Old 2005-03-01, 05:06 PM
TTD Staff
1.24 TB/594.30 GB/0.47

Smile Re: Trader's Little Helper

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaguaracer
1. only under decode files. testing works fine.
2. with all FLAC files. SHN decoding works fine.
2. the message I posted is a dialog box that pops up with Yes or No being buttons I can press. 'Yes' will ignore and try to decode the rest of the files (but the same error appears with all the others), 'No' just cancels the whole procedure.
3. Just says
there were errors
decoding files aborted.
4. Windows, yes
5. No. I had FLAC 1.1.1a installed and ran your program: error. Then I uninstalled both FLAC and your program. Got 1.1.2a FLAC, installed then re-installed TLH. Same error still.
Jaguaracer, thanks for your detailed info. I finally got it ... and I'm an idiot please shoot me ;-) ...

Anyway, I've fixed this stupid error and uploaded a new version (0.9.1.48). Hope this was the only "monster bug".
Reply With Quote Reply with Nested Quotes
Old 2005-03-01, 06:53 PM
Fleckhead
41.98 GB/41.62 GB/0.99

Re: Trader's Little Helper

Quote:
Originally Posted by roann
Jaguaracer, thanks for your detailed info. I finally got it ... and I'm an idiot please shoot me ;-) ...

Anyway, I've fixed this stupid error and uploaded a new version (0.9.1.48). Hope this was the only "monster bug".
Thank you!!

Finally, an all-in-one taper software package. I like having a clean, neat computer and this incorporates practically everything I need.
Old 2005-03-02, 05:30 AM
189.30 GB/594.78 GB/3.14

Thanks very much for this progarm roann

I finally installed it and checked it out, it is really great! I'll have some suggestions along the way if that's okay. I hope to uninstall all the aps this replaces sometime after v1.0 that would be great.

I tried everything I could think of and found just one small bug...

Sometimes people include an md5 with FLAC files. When I tried to test a wholefile .md5 generated with md5summer your prog did very well to skip the comments but couldn't manage to verify past the first file.

thetradersden.org | ttd recommended free software/freeware webring
shntool tlh eac foobar2000 spek audacity cdwave vlc

Quote:
Originally posted by oxymoron
Here you are in a place of permanent madness, be careful!

Last edited by Five; 2005-03-02 at 06:12 AM.
Old 2005-03-02, 05:31 AM
189.30 GB/594.78 GB/3.14

So I generated another wholefile .md5 using you program. I checks fine in md5summer...

Quote:

Last edited by Five; 2005-03-02 at 06:08 AM.
Old 2005-03-02, 05:32 AM
189.30 GB/594.78 GB/3.14

then I tried checking the same .md5 that just worked in the pic above with TLH and got the errors again.

Thanks to ImageShack for Free Image Hosting

Quote:

Last edited by Five; 2005-03-02 at 06:14 AM.
Old 2005-03-02, 05:53 AM
189.30 GB/594.78 GB/3.14

This only happens with wholefile .md5 checksums that are for FLAC files. Even tho these are unnecessary especially with your program's ability to verify from ffp files it would still be great if this worked since I still see some people seeding FLAC sets with wholefile md5s included.

I like how the fix sbe function has a popup asking if you are sure about the order of the files. I guess the only way to change the order is to use add > open one file at a time or just change the filenames. Since 99% of shows are named so that they automatically will be sorted this is not much of an inconvenience. A "move up" and "move down" button which changes the order by moving the highlighted track might be something to add down the line, not that I would ever use it I would just rename the files so that they sort.

The other thing that comes to mind is that SBEs should be fixed one disc at a time, so that for example if there's an SBE on the last track of disc one it pads with silence rather than taking a little piece off the beginning of d2t01. Perhaps some mention of this or if possible some intelligent guess by the program to identify multiple disc sets and confirm with the user that it has done this correctly before applying the fix.

Perhaps this could be done by looking for "d1" "d2" in the filenames (or even "d01" and "d02" for sets of 10+ audio cdrs). This could get a little hairy if d1 or d2 exists in the filename.

An easier option might be to ask the user "is this a one-disc set?" yes or no, then if it is a multiple disc set get the user to show the prog which files are for disc one, then disc two, etc etc.

Anyhow, I'm thankful for everything you've done so far and just wanted to give you some input on what I would like as a user. (ps. maybe one day drag and drop will be possible *hint* *hint*)

Quote:
Old 2005-03-02, 06:40 AM
189.30 GB/594.78 GB/3.14

oh, and one more thing... I can't seem to get the "fix sbes" to start. I pushed "save" but it just gave me a preview .txt file... how do I get it to start?

Quote:
Old 2005-03-02, 10:53 AM
TTD Staff
1.24 TB/594.30 GB/0.47

Five, thanks for that much input/feedback. It will take some posts to answer all your questions. Because I'm at work at the moment you have to be a bit patient. This md5 thing I can test only at home. This is very strange cause from the beginning I've never had problem with this feature. I think programmers always say that .

Quote:
I like how the fix sbe function has a popup asking if you are sure about the order of the files. I guess the only way to change the order is to use add > open one file at a time or just change the filenames. Since 99% of shows are named so that they automatically will be sorted this is not much of an inconvenience. A "move up" and "move down" button which changes the order by moving the highlighted track might be something to add down the line, not that I would ever use it I would just rename the files so that they sort.
_Don't_ use the add/remove buttons and rename the files. You can change the order or the files in the list by simply clicking and dragging them with your mouse (very similar to the way you select file(s) in the windows explorer with the left mouse button and move them via right mouse button to another directory). So no "move up/down" buttons are needed.

Quote:
oh, and one more thing... I can't seem to get the "fix sbes" to start. I pushed "save" but it just gave me a preview .txt file... how do I get it to start?
??? ... ok, you've added the files to the list. Next to the "Clear" button is a thing called combo box (this is only enabled if there are files in the list!). If you click on the small down arrow button right side of this box you will be able to select "preview" or "fix". If you select "preview" (or "fix) the button under the combo box has the caption "Preview" (or "Fix SBEs"). So, select "fix", press "Fix SBEs" und the prog will do the job. The results can be seen in the log. The "Save" button right side the log will save the log, for example if you want to add this text file to a seed as some kind of change log.

Sorry, time-out.
Old 2005-03-02, 11:04 AM
dare to discover
63.44 GB/133.91 GB/2.11

Does shntool need to be up and running on one's system in order for this to work? That's something I've always had a problem with, getting shntool to work, so I gave up and never tried again. But I'd like to check all my shows for SBEs.

Old 2005-03-02, 11:12 AM
520.32 GB/630.74 GB/1.21

No - shntool does not need to be up and running.

Actually - shntool is somewhat easy once you figure it out!

If you download Batchenc program you can load all the shntool commands and it works like a charm.

You can also get the shntool len to creat a text file as well.

Date the ban will be lifted: Never
Old 2005-03-02, 12:33 PM
dare to discover
63.44 GB/133.91 GB/2.11

Thanks Paul for the help with shntool, it's going now. Although now that roann has 6 posts I can run that .exe file and use that program.

Old 2005-03-02, 02:22 PM
TTD Staff
1.24 TB/594.30 GB/0.47

Thumbs up Re: Trader's Little Helper

Quote:
... SBEs should be fixed one disc at a time, so that for example if there's an SBE on the last track of disc one it pads with silence rather than taking a little piece off the beginning of d2t01. Perhaps some mention of this or if possible some intelligent guess by the program to identify multiple disc sets and confirm with the user that it has done this correctly before applying the fix.

Perhaps this could be done by looking for "d1" "d2" in the filenames (or even "d01" and "d02" for sets of 10+ audio cdrs). This could get a little hairy if d1 or d2 exists in the filename.

An easier option might be to ask the user "is this a one-disc set?" yes or no, then if it is a multiple disc set get the user to show the prog which files are for disc one, then disc two, etc etc.
Great idea. Added to the list. But definitely not in v1.0.

Quote:
... maybe one day drag and drop will be possible *hint* *hint*
Yep, drag&drop is already on the list. But same as above - not in v1.0.
Old 2005-03-02, 02:40 PM
TTD Staff
1.24 TB/594.30 GB/0.47

Unhappy Re: Trader's Little Helper

Five, this md5 problem really is a bit weird. On my machines at home verifying/creating md5s (for all types of files) works perfectly .

You wrote "When I tried to test a wholefile .md5 generated with md5summer your prog did very well to skip the comments but couldn't manage to verify past the first file." So the first file was verified ok? Could you please tell me what error message Trader's Little Helper had put up (pop up window and the message in the log)?
Old 2005-03-02, 07:35 PM
189.30 GB/594.78 GB/3.14

thanks for the replies, roann.

as for the md5 problem... it seems to have fixed itself! The files I was working on have been renamed since this morning, and I tried it again now and couldn't get it to crash. It's the old case of calling the television repair man and when he arrives the TV works fine.

When I was having the problem, the 1st file was verifying fine, then for the 2nd and every other file I was getting the popup that says "Error: Invalid Data Line 8: audio file does not exits. Ignore and continue?" as pictured here:
http://img229.exs.cx/my.php?loc=img2...herror27wr.gif
Each file caused the popup, which would say Line 8, Line 9, etc. All's well that ends well, I can't make it happen again right now, so I'll guess it wasn't because of your prog.

As for fixing SBEs, thanks, I've found the "fix/preview" option and am going to try it out in a few minutes. For changing the order of files, I tried dragging and dropping the files in the list displayed by TLH but it didn't work, they just highlight but won't move. I'm using WIN2KPRO. No biggie, I can't see myself ever needing to change the order but I thought you might like to know.

Quote:
Old 2005-03-02, 08:19 PM
520.32 GB/630.74 GB/1.21

The fix sbe option worked very well. I opened a Zep file and it had mucho sbe problems. Used the preview button to view the problem and it fixed all sbe's quite nicely!

For some reason - I can't stop playing with all of these frontends

Date the ban will be lifted: Never

The Traders' Den > Where we go to learn ..... > Technobabble

Tags
tlh, traders little helper