The Traders' Den  

The Traders' Den > Where we go to learn ..... > Technobabble

Notices

Technobabble Post your general Need for Help questions here.
Lossy or Lossless?
Moderators

Old 2005-08-22, 09:09 AM
440.53 GB/572.85 GB/1.30

Re: Report all ratio issues here

I am new to the forum and sensitive to ratio issues. I was downloading Phish 6-25-97. I managed to snatch all 8.5GB of this show and upload at least 10GB before something happened to my open window over the weekend. Unfortunately, my trade ration only reads ~3.5 downloaded and not much uploaded at all resulting in a terrible share ratio. Not sure how this happened, but it has put me in a ratio hole to start off in this forum. I'd like to get my ration reset to 1:1 so I can go from there with a clean slate.

Please see this thread for reference:

http://www.thetradersden.org/forums/...&page=13&pp=15

If it matters, I am still uploading on the above thread, and have just started in on this torrent:

http://www.thetradersden.org/forums/...ad.php?t=10090

My email is: [email protected]
Reply With Quote Reply with Nested Quotes
Old 2005-08-22, 09:10 AM
440.53 GB/572.85 GB/1.30

Oh yeah,

I am a dinosaur running Windows ME and the old BT Shadow. Does this matter?
Old 2005-08-22, 09:43 AM
TTD Staff
474.39 GB/2.01 TB/4.34

dancolostate, The reason your stats didn't update for that first torrent you linked to (the Phish one) is because it is on the old tracker. Only shows that have been uploaded to the site since July 2 are on the new tracker and only the new tracker will keep track of stats. That second torrent you linked to (the GD one) is on the new tracker and thus your stats should update for that one.

Old 2005-08-23, 02:58 PM
440.53 GB/572.85 GB/1.30

Thanks U2. I am aware of the old tracker deal. Something still is not adding up here. The GD Veneta DVD is only 4.5 GB total. My stats say I've DLd 7.05GB (It should be closer to 13GBDOWN/15GB UP.. This just isn't possible if the stats only reflect the recently started GD show of 4.5 gigs.

Anybody have any idea what the hell is going on here?
Old 2005-08-23, 03:07 PM
TTD Staff
474.39 GB/2.01 TB/4.34

That DVD is the only other show you have downloaded/uploaded from here? Do you have a dynamic IP or a static one? This is another strange one.

Old 2005-08-23, 07:35 PM
440.53 GB/572.85 GB/1.30

Hey U2. Thanks a lot for responding to my posts and helping me out. I am far from a BT nOOb, just new to this forum, haven't BTed in over a year.

Yeah. The only two shows I've pulled from this site have been that Phish 6-25-97 and the GD Veneta, that I just finished. I just installed a router to protect myself a little bit and have gotten my BT client's light back to green with the port forwarding. To answer your question, I have comcast highspeed cable internet, so I assume my IP is dynamic, but doesn't change very often, if ever.

One question. The ratio thing may be due to my ignorance. Can people connect to a torrent tracker and DL WITHOUT BEING LOGGED IN? If so, there is the chance that I wasn't logged in for a portion of the Phish download/upload.

Just a few more clues. Thanks for playing detective. Love this site. Keep up the good work.

-Dan

P.S. I reconnected to the GD torrent now that I am 100% and have a functional router in place...my damaged share ratio is slowly improving.
Old 2005-08-23, 08:02 PM
TTD Staff
474.39 GB/2.01 TB/4.34

Hey Dan,

I changed your download to just the size of the GD torrent. I really don't know why it was so high if you were only on that one. I'm no tracker expert at all, so I'm just trying to learn about how this all works.

As for not being logged in, you do have to be logged in to download the torrent file. When you hit the site, it grabs your IP address and thus the stats start. If you then come onto the site as a 'Guest' with that same IP address, I have to say I'm not really sure what happens since I am always logged into this site. hehe That could explain you not getting credit for an upload/download, but it wouldn't explain why your download would increase to more than you downloaded. Do you remember when you noticed this jump in download amount? Or, what period of time you were downloading it? I did have to restart the server last night and so I wonder if it caused some sort of hiccup in stats.

Old 2005-08-24, 03:03 PM
440.53 GB/572.85 GB/1.30

Thanks again. Not sure when the jump occured. Just started in on the Live 8 compilation. We'll see how that goes.
Old 2005-08-25, 04:15 PM
1.85 TB/2.90 TB/1.57

Trio! 2005-08-13 Newport Jazz Festival - Newport, RI (FLAC)

I started this download about 10:30pm on 8/24 & let the torrent run over night and all day.

I downloaded 381 MB & uploaded 2.06 GB.

when I got home from work today I checked the statistics link in the message thread, I saw my IP addy but not my user name. so I think that has something to do with it, but not sure how it happened.

any ideas??

I am running
Win XP Pro
BitTornado 0.3.7

thanks for your help
Patrick

"Music is the Best"
Old 2005-08-25, 04:59 PM
TTD Staff
474.39 GB/2.01 TB/4.34

Did you by chance login to the site from work (that would cause the tracker to 'lose' your IP.

I fixed your stats to include what you posted above.

Old 2005-08-25, 05:52 PM
1.85 TB/2.90 TB/1.57

Lynn, this is all done from home

here is the only thing that I did different that I normally do when I start a torrent, it wasn't included in the first post

I rebooted everything last night(computer, modem, router) because I had the computer off during the day & when I logged on after work I was user #2 on the router(my kid logged on her computer) & the #2 ports are not open.

so I rebooted to get the #1 slot after she went to bed.
opened Firefox to access TDD to start the torrent with ports open.
I just waited for my BT client to turn green & I went to bed.

thanks again for all you do
enjoy the day!!!
Old 2005-08-28, 12:16 AM
138.18 GB/159.15 GB/1.15

I want to chime in here, particularly regarding the "matter of pride" issue.

Like someone who posted previously I try to reopen windows on older torrents which need seeders. (Most recently I did this on Led Zeppelin 4/28/77, uploaded 1.27G while downloading nothing before switching back to something on another site.) I would rather use my bandwidth to help someone get a show nobody else seems to be seeding than participate in something newer (as in after the tracker changed) which has many seeders.

As long as there is not going to be an issue with share ratio enforcement I will continue to seed on an "unnoticed" basis. Hopefully those who look at others' share ratios and judge them on it will understand that the ratios might be low because they are seeding on older torrents. If people look at others' ratios and judge in ignorance of the new vs old tracker -- well, why should I care what people think who can't even bother to read the information provided here about ratios and trackers etc.?

The only way this could become an issue (for me, at least) is if a SRE policy were to be put in place.

Meanwhile, thanks for the place to comment on this, and for the site. Without TTD I would never have discovered the glory of live Led Zeppelin and now I am obsessed and have more discs than I know what to do with.
Old 2005-08-28, 01:27 AM
shnaholic
0.00 KB/0.00 KB/---

lol funny how i have been seeding this acdc torrent to the tune of approx 6 gb at least and my upload numbers were well over 182gb now they are at 177 or so. is the tracker now working in reverse order? hit me bqck for those pics , lynne. i have since bailed on the acdc seeding. 12 others are filling in nicely, or at least they were.
Old 2005-09-01, 10:00 AM
mr_bungalow
0.00 KB/0.00 KB/---

I downloaded the Senor Martin 'In the Pit' moe. dvd last week. I left my computer on at home all weekend to seed and managed to do a 3.1 ratio (21 gigs up, 7 down). Looking at my stats I have only downloaded 292 megs and uploaded 273 megs? I don't quite get it. I've also done 1:1 on 2 other dvds.

Can anyone help me?
Old 2005-09-05, 12:51 AM
530.54 GB/363.75 GB/0.69

I have uploaded for week (booted machine four days ago) the U2-second night in chicago . Azureus shows upped over 4GB and my ratio shows TOTAL UPPED 2,51??? I believe my ip is the one as shown here 84.231.62.xxx.
2,2 GB in four days..

I have stayed online with this torrent in order to better my ratio, but seems no hope with this tracker.

The Traders' Den > Where we go to learn ..... > Technobabble