The Traders' Den  

The Traders' Den > Where we go to learn ..... > Technobabble

Notices

Technobabble Post your general Need for Help questions here.
Lossy or Lossless?
Moderators

Old 2007-08-20, 12:50 AM
Help, I'm Iraq
132.57 GB/235.30 GB/1.77

Sandvine

This sandvine thing is killing me

Once I finish downloading a torrent, my upload drops to zero and stays there

Is this the beginning of the end of file sharing?

#$%$@&*^%$%% concast

http://www.dslreports.com/forum/r183...2P-Connections
Old 2007-08-20, 02:34 AM
Tubular
0.00 KB/0.00 KB/---

Re: Sandvine

You need to use a client with encryption, like Bittornado 3.18 or Azureus. I would steer clear of the new version of uTorrent (1.7) though. Certain trackers have banned it because it reports all your BT activity to the RIAA and MPAA automatically. Make sure encryption is enabled if you use Azureus. Encryption fights certain ISPs (incl. Comcast) attempts to limit bittorrent activity. They use bit-shaping (I think that is what it is called) to prevent you from uploading after completing. I used to have the same problem with not being able to upload after completing, but now that I use encryption, I have no problem.
Reply With Quote Reply with Nested Quotes
Old 2007-08-20, 02:47 AM
Help, I'm Iraq
132.57 GB/235.30 GB/1.77

really?

I heard that encryption doesn't solve the problem

I clearly have to study this a little further

I still use the same bittornado 2.0 I started with years ago...not big on upgrading untill I have to

Last edited by lgerard; 2007-08-20 at 02:56 AM.
Old 2007-08-20, 03:13 AM
Tubular
0.00 KB/0.00 KB/---

No, it works, I had Concast as well. bittornado 3.18 is the bomb, it is the first bittornado with encryption. I can think of one way to find out for sure though.
Old 2007-08-20, 03:38 AM
Tubular
0.00 KB/0.00 KB/---

This issue comes up A LOT, btw. Tons of people post here about how they can't upload after completion, then after they get a client with encryption, they have no problem. IMO all clients that don't play nice with the tracker, act like big brother by spying on you, don't have encryption, or are just plain unreliable should be banned from TTD. I'm talking to you uTorrent 1.7, bittornado 3.17 and below, BitComet (uberleechers' client of choice), BitLord, Mainline 4.22 and up. I mean, I wonder how many users just give up on BT because their client sucks, and they can't finish downloads properly (Mainline 4.22 and up) or can't upload after completion (non-encryption w/Concast)? They might figure, "oh well, I've tried my best, I've forwarded my ports, BT just doesn't seem to work for me, I quit." But there is nothing I can do about it, except try to help when people post here. Maybe instead of having a list of RECOMMENDED clients in the FAQs, there should be a list of ALLOWED clients.
Old 2007-08-25, 09:50 AM
TTD Staff
474.39 GB/2.01 TB/4.34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tubular
This issue comes up A LOT, btw. Tons of people post here about how they can't upload after completion, then after they get a client with encryption, they have no problem. IMO all clients that don't play nice with the tracker, act like big brother by spying on you, don't have encryption, or are just plain unreliable should be banned from TTD. I'm talking to you uTorrent 1.7, bittornado 3.17 and below, BitComet (uberleechers' client of choice), BitLord, Mainline 4.22 and up. I mean, I wonder how many users just give up on BT because their client sucks, and they can't finish downloads properly (Mainline 4.22 and up) or can't upload after completion (non-encryption w/Concast)? They might figure, "oh well, I've tried my best, I've forwarded my ports, BT just doesn't seem to work for me, I quit." But there is nothing I can do about it, except try to help when people post here. Maybe instead of having a list of RECOMMENDED clients in the FAQs, there should be a list of ALLOWED clients.
I have thought about disallowing some clients here, but have decided that the majority of our users are using good reliable clients and so I haven't felt like going to the effort to change the code to ban the others.

Old 2007-08-26, 10:09 AM
Help, I'm Iraq
132.57 GB/235.30 GB/1.77

Well you were right that encryption helped as v3.18 has allowed uploading to continue past the point that the download is complete.

However, the upload speeds that I am getting are not very good, and it seems that I am not connecting to very many downloaders.

Furthermore, I can see the connections constantly dropping off and being reestablished almost minute by minute.

%^##@$##%^ concast

Thanks for your help

PS what is with the constant flickering of the text? Is this just me?
It's driving me crazy
Old 2007-08-26, 12:50 PM
Tubular
0.00 KB/0.00 KB/---

I read something similar about the Sandvine program Concast is using and it said that not even encryption will help. But it seems to work. Also use a port between 50,000 and 60,000 on your router and BT client. Concast throttles the default ports and I guess has less control over higher port numbers. Are you firewalled? That could be one source of not being able to upload properly all the time.

There is always Verizon FIOS, which will let you upload at 1 or 2 Mbps. Or a high speed DSL line. But maybe all ISPs will adopt Sandvine. I don't think Concast is worried about the content that you are downloading, but the bandwidth. Concast's pipes aren't as fat as Verizon's, that is why they are so concerned with bandwidth usage. They should offer tiered pricing with bandwidth restrictions (DL and UL caps), not punish bittorrent users because they use more bandwidth than someone who just checks email and surfs. There is a lot of legal bittorrent traffic.
Old 2007-08-26, 01:42 PM
On the Beach
666.18 GB/1.29 TB/1.99

Comcast has some big stones to disrupt your Internet service/experience in such a way.
If I were a Comcast user - I would drop them immediately / find alternative.
A protest vote with your dollars is the only solution.
(although, there are instructions on how to work around the issue on the page)

link to story:

http://torrentfreak.com/comcast-thro...ng-impossible/
Old 2007-08-26, 01:58 PM
On the Beach
666.18 GB/1.29 TB/1.99

another good read to confirm a growing issue with Comcast / torrent client use.
It mentions that torrent client programmers will address the issue - but then it becomes a cat/mouse game (which gets old quickly).
Vote with your dollars - there are many ISP's that would love to gain a clientele base from Comcast.

http://torrentfreak.com/comcast-wron...th-bittorrent/
Old 2007-08-30, 12:27 PM
36.98 GB/52.39 GB/1.42

yeah...they seem to be traffic shaping around/in spite of the encryption....I'm dumping them...they have a very powerful competitor here in Pgh....and that competitor is upping fios lines all over my neighborhood this month...peace, Comcast !

"We all got it coming, kid." ~ William Munny

suicide nazi gunslinger blazin' down the hall tonight ~ PJ Stevey

in your pomp and all your glory, you're a poorer man than me, as you lick the boots of death born out of fear ~ Ian Anderson

Quote:
Originally Posted by general eclectic View Post
Because we can't get by without [you].
Old 2007-09-03, 12:34 PM
Honeyko
0.00 KB/0.00 KB/---

I don't see posting dates here, so I don't know how long ago Tubular wrote this, but....
Quote:
You need to use a client with encryption, like Bittornado 3.18 or Azureus.
All known encryption schemes (as of Sept 1 07) are cracked by currently implementations of Comcast sandvine. This includes Azureus R4, Bittornado and uTorrent. If you're uploading, you *will* be disconnected if you're a Comcast subscriber.
Quote:
I would steer clear of the new version of uTorrent (1.7) though. Certain trackers have banned it...
Certain private trackers who livid in underground bunkers where the coffee tables have the magazines your dentist through out twenty years ago.
Quote:
...because it reports all your BT activity to the RIAA and MPAA automatically.
Bullshit.
Old 2007-09-03, 03:13 PM
Tubular
0.00 KB/0.00 KB/---

Using Bittornado's encryption worked for a long time for me, but I got rid of Concast about a month ago. The post dates are at the top of each post. On 8-26-2007 Igerard reports that it does help somewhat, but I guess Sept. 1st is the clampdown? Encryption has been cracked for months. And they aren't doing this to all Comcast users. Just users in areas where their bandwidth is maxxed out I would guess.

At the very least uTorrent 1.7 messes with your stats, lots of people have reported that it has. Another guy wrote that he couldn't initially seed properly with a torrent file created with uTorrent 1.7 (the upload would start and stop). Why is uTorrent closed source? Are there any other closed source BT clients? It may be "bullshit" that uTorrent spies on you, but it is suspicious that the developer signed a deal with an anti-p2p company, then sold out to BitTorrent Inc.

A related thread:
http://www.thetradersden.org/forums/...ad.php?t=44158
Old 2007-09-03, 03:47 PM
Honeyko
0.00 KB/0.00 KB/---

Quote:
And they aren't doing this to all Comcast users. Just users in areas where their bandwidth is maxxed out I would guess.
Comcast is a conglomerate, not a "big central server"; it's being steadily implemented throughout all of their affiliates. The US upper-Midwest got sandbagged five days ago, which was months after the east coast; my seeding productivity dropped about 90%. If you're Comcast, you'll eventually be sandbagged.
Quote:
At the very least uTorrent 1.7 messes with your stats, lots of people have reported that it has. Another guy wrote that he couldn't initially seed properly with a torrent file created with uTorrent 1.7 (the upload would start and stop). Why is uTorrent closed source?
So it can't be hacked like Azureus gets hacked. These questions get answered every day in the uTorrent forums.
Quote:
Are there any other closed source BT clients?
BitComet? Google awaits....
Quote:
It may be "bullshit" that uTorrent spies on you....
What's bullshit is that many will claim that but nobody will submit wireshark data proving it.
Old 2007-09-03, 06:20 PM
Tubular
0.00 KB/0.00 KB/---

What does uTorrent/BitTorrent Inc. think about Sandvine? Are they in favor of Sandvine because they only want to use BT as a way of distributing large files and ensure uncorrupted downloads? Do they not care about people not being able to seed once they complete because they are seeding for profit with a fat pipe? I won't be holding my breath for a client implemented solution to Sandvine from uTorrent/BitTorrent Inc.

BitComet!! Now there is a good honest client!!
http://torrentfreak.com/bittornado-b...itcomet-users/
Bittornado banned BitComet from connecting to it because it cheats during super seed! It is the uberleechers' client of choice! www.dimeadozen.org has banned the BitComet family (Comet/Lord/Spirit)

Last edited by Tubular; 2007-09-03 at 06:25 PM.

The Traders' Den > Where we go to learn ..... > Technobabble