The Traders' Den  

The Traders' Den > Where we go to learn ..... > Technobabble

Notices

Technobabble Post your general Need for Help questions here.
Lossy or Lossless?
Moderators

Old 2016-05-24, 12:13 PM
379.08 GB/7.29 GB/0.02

Why are tracks left unlabled?

On most of the torrents I've downloaded here, the song files are only labeled with the track number not the song names. The actual names are only found in the txt files.
Reply With Quote Reply with Nested Quotes
Old 2016-05-24, 12:41 PM
Champion of the Silent
TTD VIP
727.47 GB/6.80 TB/9.57

Re: Why are tracks left unlabled?

Why is your ratio 0.00?

Songs are left unlabled because (a) people don't know how, or (b) they are too lazy to do it.

You on the other hand have no excuse.
Old 2016-05-24, 01:27 PM
TTD Hoarder
TTD Staff
326.11 GB/317.06 GB/0.97

I'm a little bit of (b), and often a bit of (c) I can't identify every song in the set list and would rather have the names all consistent than some with song titles and others just a track number or "unknown."

And if someone wants to tag the show, they can tag it. Why is the taper/seeder obligated to do so? I rename folders all the time to better fit my filing system. Should I also demand a standardized folder naming convention?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcbullet View Post
Sometimes im dense.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcbullet View Post
I hate not being a real man.
Old 2016-05-24, 05:00 PM
288.57 GB/294.30 GB/1.02

Just use the text file to copy and paste song names to files in one action.
Old 2016-05-24, 08:52 PM
Recording/Mastering Engineer
775.22 GB/3.83 TB/5.05

Quote:
Originally Posted by rspencer View Post
I'm a little bit of (b), and often a bit of (c) I can't identify every song in the set list and would rather have the names all consistent than some with song titles and others just a track number or "unknown."

And if someone wants to tag the show, they can tag it. Why is the taper/seeder obligated to do so? I rename folders all the time to better fit my filing system. Should I also demand a standardized folder naming convention?
The problem with tagging files you've downloaded is that it breaks them for seeding on the existing torrent. If you alter tags, you can't seed it anymore. Seeding back whatever you download *should* be a priority! Unfortunately, the O.P. is apparently a hit and run king! Maybe you ought to stop complaining until your ratio is a little better....
Old 2016-05-24, 09:11 PM
World-Class Slack-Ass
713.86 GB/0.98 TB/1.41

Quote:
Originally Posted by dorrcoq View Post
Why is your ratio 0.00?
HOW is his ratio 0.00? I'm horrible at math but those numbers don't add up.

And I do kinda agree with the OP. I hate it when I download a show and the track names are "01" and so on, and I especially hate it when they have two folders with tracks named like that (two 01's, etc.). I don't tag my recordings, but I name the tracks "BandDateTracknumber" and I consider that the bare minimum that uploaders should do.
Old 2016-05-24, 09:45 PM
Champion of the Silent
TTD VIP
727.47 GB/6.80 TB/9.57

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackDog View Post
HOW is his ratio 0.00? I'm horrible at math but those numbers don't add up.

And I do kinda agree with the OP. I hate it when I download a show and the track names are "01" and so on, and I especially hate it when they have two folders with tracks named like that (two 01's, etc.). I don't tag my recordings, but I name the tracks "BandDateTracknumber" and I consider that the bare minimum that uploaders should do.
I assume the site has the math correct, so not "technically" zero, but low enough not to register. He has to do some uploading to get to 0.005 so that it rounds up to 0;01

45.09 GB/76.23 MB/0.00

Now HOW he possibly manages that...he no doubt waits until there are a bunch of seeders, downloads the show, and then runs, like John said.
Old 2016-05-25, 01:25 AM
Recording/Mastering Engineer
775.22 GB/3.83 TB/5.05

Quote:
Originally Posted by dorrcoq View Post
I assume the site has the math correct, so not "technically" zero, but low enough not to register. He has to do some uploading to get to 0.005 so that it rounds up to 0;01

45.09 GB/76.23 MB/0.00

Now HOW he possibly manages that...he no doubt waits until there are a bunch of seeders, downloads the show, and then runs, like John said.
45.09 gigabytes is 46172.16 megabytes

46172.16 divided by 76.23 megabytes = a very low share ratio number!

Now, to play devil's advocate for a second, he *might* just have an ISP that throttles the crap out of his upload speed. But, so do I, and look at my ratio! Som no, it does look like someone who goes out of their way not to share back...

But, I do agree about non-track name names. I also gotta say how much I despise the whole "Band name date tracknumber" titling scheme when the files aren't also tagged with actual song names. It *really* sucks when you've got to open a text file in order to see any names next to my player. I think the folder name should have band and date, and tracks should have number and actual song name. And, tags!

I didn't tag files until about 2010 or so. Now I wouldn't post anything not tagged.
Old 2016-05-25, 06:48 AM
World-Class Slack-Ass
713.86 GB/0.98 TB/1.41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Audioarchivist View Post
I also gotta say how much I despise the whole "Band name date tracknumber" titling scheme when the files aren't also tagged with actual song names. It *really* sucks when you've got to open a text file in order to see any names next to my player. I think the folder name should have band and date, and tracks should have number and actual song name. And, tags!
I know that I need to start tagging my flacs, but it's one of those "I've always done it this way, and I'm afraid of change" kinds of things. If I started doing it there'd be a huge Before and After line to my recordings, because I really don't see myself going back and tagging everything that I've taped. I wish that I would, but I'm very lazy. I also wish that I would write down what level I had my recorder at when I tape a show, but I'm not going to for that same Before/After reason (and also because I'm very lazy).
Old 2016-05-25, 10:54 PM
Champion of the Silent
TTD VIP
727.47 GB/6.80 TB/9.57

Took me a while to start tagging, too, but now I do it for everything I post. I never go back and tag other shows that I download, although if the uploader had tagged them and there is a title correction I will go and fix it.
Old 2016-05-26, 12:35 PM
288.57 GB/294.30 GB/1.02

Maths not Math.
Old 2016-05-26, 11:29 PM
Greedy Corporation
TTD Staff
73.48 GB/423.76 GB/5.77

Take pride in your work. Tag your songs.
Old 2016-05-28, 02:04 AM
483.34 GB/491.80 GB/1.02

I do use the "Band name date tracknumber" titling scheme for my files, and have for years, it's only been more recently I tag the shows as well, but I also haven't gone back to old work just to tag. As far as a downloader, I'll take what I can get, it isn't that big of a deal to open the info file. I sure wouldn't want to see tagging become any sort of a "requirement" for uploaders, as that would likely discourage some uploaders. Most of these tagging programs are less than intuitive, I needed to hold somebodies hand to get through it to where I had confidence tagging.

I have been following along with the convo though, and I think I may change my filenaming to "track number - song title" , This would let those who burn to CD see the song titles if their CD player has CD Text, and should still serve the digital player crowd well. Any input on that thought would be welcome, especially if someone notices a pitfall in doing it that way.

Last edited by mwonter; 2016-05-28 at 02:10 AM.
Old 2016-05-28, 08:25 AM
World-Class Slack-Ass
713.86 GB/0.98 TB/1.41

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwonter View Post
I think I may change my filenaming to "track number - song title" , This would let those who burn to CD see the song titles if their CD player has CD Text, and should still serve the digital player crowd well. Any input on that thought would be welcome, especially if someone notices a pitfall in doing it that way.
Unless the track number is necessary to keep the songs in order (maybe it is, I don't know) I don't think that it really adds anything to the file name. What I find the most useful is "band name - song title" because I fill up my music player (I still use Winamp!) with a ton of music and keep adding to it, so just having a "track number - song title" doesn't really tell me enough. I can read through the setlist and figure it out, but it's easier to just have the band name so I can scroll to where I want. I've actually tagged some of my recordings that I've done extra editing on (cutting off the end of tracks, putting in fades, and making the show seamless) and I like how it appears in Winamp and on cd's, so maybe I will start tagging my recordings.

Here's a screenshot of a section of my Winamp playlist. It's got a mix of my recordings and downloaded stuff, and from that sample it seems to me that the most legible and useful naming standard is the "band name - song title"
Attached Images
File Type: jpg winamp screenshot.jpg
( 96.9 KB, 68 views)

Old 2016-05-28, 08:45 AM
Purveyor of the Eclectic
TTD VIP
41.37 GB/5.66 TB/140.17

I tag all of my uploads. The tags show when they are played on a media player. This is more useful to me than seeing the file names, since those only have band and date.

Also, if you tag the files using foobar, you can number the files, and that will be the order they are played on the players.

Tags are not much use when you burn the files to play on a cd player.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cock View Post
People suck. I'd rather look at memes and gifs of people doing stupid shit that confirms my misanthropic views than actually deal with their shit face to face.

The Traders' Den > Where we go to learn ..... > Technobabble

Tags
gimme gimmies, oprah's book club, tag yer shows, this tag is for you, to tag or not to tag