The Traders' Den  

The Traders' Den > Where we go to learn ..... > Technobabble > Lossy or Lossless?

Notices

Lossy or Lossless? Please use this forum to post spectral and frequency analysis posts about shows you have your doubts about.

Old 2010-02-16, 12:36 PM
Dum duh dum dumm
321.32 GB/303.29 GB/0.94

Please confirm if this is lossy or not

I recently grabbed a great set of 4 discs of music and would like to share it, but I am far from knowledgeable on the subject even though I have read the pinned thread.

Therefore, I submit to the greatest collection of minds, for your consideration the following image from Audacity. I have left it large for clarity of image.

Thank you in advance for your assistance,

Dave

Reply With Quote Reply with Nested Quotes
Old 2010-02-16, 01:46 PM
973.67 GB/2.99 TB/3.15

Re: Please confirm if this is lossy or not

Looks lossy to me.
Remote Power: CA-9100 pre-amp, CA-UBB battery box
Recorders: Sony PCM-M10, Tascam DR-2d
Cable/s: custom 6" GAKables Mini Starquad
Batteries: Maha 9.6V Imedion, Maha Powerex 2700 mAh
Chargers: Maha MH-C9000, MAHA MH-C490F
Old 2010-02-17, 02:21 PM
lintoni
0.00 KB/0.00 KB/---

It doesn't look lossy to me.

It does look odd though, I've not seen anything like those spikes of noise (plainly showing just before 22, 20, 18, 16, 14 kHz on the frequency plot, but extending down at regular 2kHz intervals down to 10kHz on the spectral plot).
Old 2010-02-17, 02:58 PM
crumpet-stuffer
TTD Staff
87.48 GB/884.33 GB/10.11

Can't tell from what you;ve posted. Obviously, there was a bunch of broad spectrum noise that was picked up eitehr during recording or during transfer, but taht isn;t related to whether you have lossy data compression applied,

Need to see a 2-4 second span in the spectrum analyzer from Cool Edit Pro or Adobe Audition. It is much trickier to spot in Audacity's SA.

If you want, you can post a 10 sec sample (WAV) here and I'll have a look.
Old 2010-02-17, 03:07 PM
TTD Staff
1.11 TB/1.41 TB/1.27

yeah i'd post a couple wav samples...one during music & one during "silence" if it exists

i'm guessing the multiple stripes [SA]/spikes [FA] occurred at more than one point during the process...never seen that many happen at once...and very strange they're at equidistant frequencies
Old 2010-02-17, 06:31 PM
Dum duh dum dumm
321.32 GB/303.29 GB/0.94

https://www.yousendit.com/download/R...TWMyWGNLSkE9PQ

Thanks folks for the help. I could not find a way to post the wav file directly so here is a link to a 15 sec sample at the end of the track which contains both a musical portion at the beginning, and about two seconds of silence at the end of the track. I checked and the silent portion has the spikes, but I'll wait to hear your opinion.

If it helps to clarify, the tracks are from a Gillian Welch collection titled "Building a House", which is a 4 disc set of demos, outtakes and one early live show from 1994.

thanks in advance (again)

Dave
Old 2010-02-17, 07:40 PM
crumpet-stuffer
TTD Staff
87.48 GB/884.33 GB/10.11

Quote:
Originally Posted by stripeydave View Post
https://www.yousendit.com/download/R...TWMyWGNLSkE9PQ

Thanks folks for the help. I could not find a way to post the wav file directly so here is a link to a 15 sec sample at the end of the track which contains both a musical portion at the beginning, and about two seconds of silence at the end of the track. I checked and the silent portion has the spikes, but I'll wait to hear your opinion.

If it helps to clarify, the tracks are from a Gillian Welch collection titled "Building a House", which is a 4 disc set of demos, outtakes and one early live show from 1994.

thanks in advance (again)

Dave

it doesn't seem lossy.

for future reference, when checking SAs, try to post a snip other than the sustained ending of a song need the audio to vary a bit more than that.. someting out of teh chorus is usually diverse enough to get a good reading on it.
Old 2010-02-17, 09:22 PM
Dum duh dum dumm
321.32 GB/303.29 GB/0.94

Quote:
Originally Posted by jameskg View Post
it doesn't seem lossy.

for future reference, when checking SAs, try to post a snip other than the sustained ending of a song need the audio to vary a bit more than that.. someting out of teh chorus is usually diverse enough to get a good reading on it.
Thank you. I will keep that in mind for future reference, and I thank thee again for your help.

I look forward to torrenting that set here shortly, as my ratio is dropping lower than I like it to be due to some awesome things showing up here lately!
Old 2010-02-17, 11:33 PM
crumpet-stuffer
TTD Staff
87.48 GB/884.33 GB/10.11

The Traders' Den > Where we go to learn ..... > Technobabble > Lossy or Lossless?