The Traders' Den  

The Traders' Den > Where we go to learn ..... > Technobabble

Notices

Technobabble Post your general Need for Help questions here.
Lossy or Lossless?
Moderators

Old 2006-05-09, 09:48 AM
Sleeping Colorless Green Ideas
TTD VIP
411.55 GB/18.82 TB/46.84

firewalled at TTD - but not at Dime

I'm showing up as firewalled here at TTD - but not at Dime - and both sites show I'm using the same port.

Of course, I have my ports forwarded. I have gone months and months without showing up as being firewalled here.

Weird...

Randy
Reply With Quote Reply with Nested Quotes
Old 2006-05-09, 10:15 AM
Happy little trees
TTD VIP
659.93 GB/7.41 TB/11.50

Re: firewalled at TTD - but not at Dime

Try running this test:
http://btfaq.com/natcheck.pl
Old 2006-05-09, 10:21 AM
TTD Staff
474.39 GB/2.01 TB/4.34

I've had other people say that too. I've looked at DIME's announce code where they check to see if you are connectable or not and it's basically the same as ours (our timeout in checking the connection is 5 seconds, theirs is 2). I wouldn't think this would make a big difference. I can try changing ours to 2 for a while and see what happens.

Do you pass when you do a natcheck for torrents from both sites? http://btfaq.com/natcheck.pl

Old 2006-05-09, 10:39 AM
TTD Staff
474.39 GB/2.01 TB/4.34

Actually, I just looked again. DIME has a default of 2 seconds, but when they make the call it looks like they give 10 seconds.

Randy, do you always show up as firewalled here or just sometimes?

Old 2006-05-09, 10:57 AM
Seiwa-en
TTD VIP
515.69 GB/744.37 GB/1.44

Randy, I had the EXACT same problem happen to me a couple/few months back. One Saturday morning I woke up, and TTD said I was firewalled, even though I had never been. No other sites ever showed me as firewalled. Then just last week, I stopped being firewalled on TTD. I think I figured out what happened (at least in my case). My Norton anti-virus 2005 had expired back when I first became firewalled on TTD (it wasn't the same day though, but close). While exploring all possible options, I knew that when my Norton expired, Windows firewall was turned back on. (When Norton is installed, it recommends turning Windows Firewall OFF, so it was). So I turned it off, and still nothing, I was still being firewalled here. Portwarding...yada....yada. Nothing seemed to work. Just last week, I renewed my Norton subscription. After I did, I'm not firewalled here on TTD anymore. When installing it, it once again asked me to turn off my Windows firewall, which was already off, but I clicked 'yes' anyway. It was very strange. My computer knows something I don't. That's my experience Randy. Hope it provides you w/ some ideas maybe. Good luck. BTW, my upload/download speeds never changed the whole time I was firewalled on TTD. Not one kb/s.
Old 2006-05-10, 10:12 PM
Sleeping Colorless Green Ideas
TTD VIP
411.55 GB/18.82 TB/46.84

Hmm... just as mysteriously as it appeared out of no where a few weeks ago - it disappeared last night.

Go figure?

Thanks for all the responses just the same!

Randy
Old 2006-05-11, 06:14 PM
macuna
349.81 GB/571.00 GB/1.63

the same "problem" has happen'd to me, jus' now and in the recent past as well. Restart and grab a diffrnt port works for me. I tried limiting port range last time.

The Traders' Den > Where we go to learn ..... > Technobabble