The Traders' Den  

The Traders' Den > Where we go to learn ..... > Site Announcements & Suggestions

Notices

Site Announcements & Suggestions This is where you should make your suggestions to us on how to improve your experience here and where to post about site problems/issues.
Moderators

Old 2006-04-05, 04:28 PM
herbie747
0.00 KB/0.00 KB/---

RATDVD - why doesn't this forum use it?

I'm presuming people here have heard of RATDVD. It's basically like Winzip, but it compresses a DVD IFO structure down to single 2GB (approx size) file, which can then be extracted back to normal filesize & structure at any time. I've downloaded RATDVD files numerous times before from other torrent sites, and they work perfectly.

Just wondering why it isn't used here, as obviously it would make everything TWICE as quick...and it's free. It makes perfect sense.

Info here: http://www.ratdvd.dk/download.htm

I presume it has been discussed before, but I couldn't find it when I searched.
Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote Reply with Nested Quotes
Old 2006-04-05, 04:52 PM
TTD Staff
474.39 GB/2.01 TB/4.34

Re: RATDVD - why doesn't this forum use it?

One big reason is that it is only for PC users running Win2k or WinXP. What do you do about all of us Mac or linux users? This site doesn't allow lossless audio files in mkw format simply because it is not cross-platform compatible so we aren't going to be wanting a DVD format uploaded that isn't cross-platform compatible.

Reply With Quote Reply with Nested Quotes
Old 2006-04-05, 05:22 PM
193.95 GB/193.44 GB/1.00

Plus RATDVD seems very unstable, I (among many others, so I've heard) had the unfortunate experience of dowloading a DVD in that format and every time I tried to extract it, the program crashed. I would never suggest using it, and I'm glad it's not accepted on fine trading boards such as this! I'd rather wait an extra day or so to download something I know will work than save a day downloading something that's useless.
Old 2006-04-06, 12:10 AM
yeltzin_4
0.00 KB/0.00 KB/---

Quote:
Originally Posted by herbie747
I'm presuming people here have heard of RATDVD. It's basically like Winzip, but it compresses a DVD IFO structure down to single 2GB (approx size) file, which can then be extracted back to normal filesize & structure at any time.
RATDVD is nothing like Winzip. RATDVD uses lossy compression and re-encodes the video and audio.

From their FAQ: http://www.ratdvd.dk/faq.htm
Quote:
"Is the reconverted ratDVD (to DVD) as good as the original?

Yes! There might be some small limitations to the quality based on the settings chosen, but it is a fully functional, compatible, high quality DVD-Video."
So, basically RATDVD is a glorified DVDShrink. Two thumbs down.
Old 2006-04-06, 06:37 AM
304.10 GB/469.31 GB/1.54

Just what we need, a lossy format to store our lossy format DVDs.......

The Traders' Den > Where we go to learn ..... > Site Announcements & Suggestions