The Traders' Den  

The Traders' Den > Where we go to learn ..... > Technobabble

Notices

Technobabble Post your general Need for Help questions here.
Lossy or Lossless?
Moderators

Old 2010-02-26, 12:44 AM
590.32 GB/1.28 TB/2.22

Icon4 Did uTorrent sellout to Comcast and the FBI?

Did uTorrent sellout to Comcast and the FBI?

A couple weeks ago I was unceremoniously duped into "upgrading" my uTorrent 1.8.5 client to uTorrent 2.0. I'd grown accustomed to it obeying my custom settings set for FAST speed and multiple connections, but the new version ignored all that. Instead, my transfer rates switched to SLOW in both up and down directions.

Sometimes stupid silly slow. I was uploading a Tool concert to a single peer who had reached 96% complete at a pretty good clip when I switched to uTorrent 2.0. From that point on, tragedy, their download speed dropped to an excruciatingly morbid 0.1 kB/s. It hurt to see, but they stayed connected, and I was their only seeder so I kept it alive. Took a whole week for them to trickle down the final bytes.

98.6% complete. . . several hours would go by. . . 98.7% complete. . . ouch!

I went to the uTorrent web site and they give some mumbo jumbo about uTorrent 2.0 automatically policing my transfer rates is for my own good, that my ISP will thank me for it, that I should be happy it's slower.

Another nice feature they slipped in without my permission, one that would make any FBI agent blush and envy, is automatically sending my personal information across the internet from my computer to their server (and all points in between). This is being done in the name of "debugging" which, of course, is also for my own good. So no need to ask for my permission, I should be grateful they took my information.

To be fair, I read some guide, made an effort, tried these settings:

Tools > Preferences > Advanced > Name/Value

1) bt.tcp_rate_control: set value to FALSE in hopes it prevents the uTP transport from every being used.

2) bt.transp_disposition: set value to 5 in hopes it prevents the uTP transport from ever being used.

3) bt.ratelimit_tcp_only: set value to FALSE in hopes it prevents the uTP transport from interfering.

4) net.utp_target_delay: set value to 999999999 in hopes it prevents uTP transport from interfering.

5) net.utp_receive_delay: set value to 999999999 in hopes it prevents uTP transport from interfering.

. . . but in the end it wasn't as good as it used to be. I've since reverted back to version 1.8.5. Or, more accurately, the now "un-supported version 1.8.5" as the uTorrent website so proudly proclaims.

Anyone else have similar experiences or better outcomes?
Reply With Quote Reply with Nested Quotes
Old 2010-02-26, 03:56 AM
lintoni
0.00 KB/0.00 KB/---

Re: Did uTorrent sellout to Comcast and the FBI?

It's made no difference to me. I think that it's all to do with the speed check that utorrent2.0 runs.

To downgrade utorrent.

1. Backup this folder
C:\Documents and Settings\Your User name\Application Data\uTorrent

2. Download utorrent 1.8.5 from here

3. Turn off auto update in the copy you have currently. options>Preferences>general (Make sure all 3 boxes under privacy are unchecked)

4. Shut down uTorrent completely.

5. Install the older version that you've downloaded from above.

6. Restart utorrent and all should be fine. If not replace the files in your C:\Documents and Settings\Your User name\Application Data\uTorrent folder with your backup ones

7. Double check that auto updates is still off.
Old 2010-02-26, 04:10 AM
172.31 GB/208.97 GB/1.21

But if you disable that Transfer cap setting does it do the same?

You can try Halite or Deluge (on softpedia for some reason they didn't updated it, last version is 1.2.1).
Old 2010-02-26, 04:32 AM
172.31 GB/208.97 GB/1.21

Anyway, I did try utorrent now and I could only get 800 kB/s. I'll try more later to see if it's real or just seeders with low speed.
Old 2010-02-27, 06:57 PM
590.32 GB/1.28 TB/2.22

Having switched back to 1.8.5, my upload/download speeds have skyrocketed back to the full-on FAST they used to be.

Bitch is though, now when I see something dragging like a dog, the Peers list shows the slowness coming from peers where THEY are using uTorrent 2.0.
Old 2010-02-27, 07:41 PM
crumpet-stuffer
TTD Staff
87.48 GB/884.33 GB/10.11

Old 2010-02-28, 04:10 AM
172.31 GB/208.97 GB/1.21

I have different kind of problem with the 2.0 version. The upload speed is OK, but the download speed can't reach 1 MB/s. With Halite it was immediately at 5 MB/s.
Old 2010-02-28, 08:03 AM
On the Beach
666.18 GB/1.29 TB/1.99

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meddle Earth View Post
Anyone else have similar experiences or better outcomes?
I've yet to experience the level of paranoia you've expressed.. there IS a throttle in the new version to prevent utorrent from saturating your local bandwidth.
There is also a download meter to help those using comcast and/or have a monthly download cap.

I hear the new utorrent for macintosh is excellent. I've also read that VUZE has recently been banned at several major torrent sites.. perhaps you're confusing vuze with utorrent.

enjoy some copy/paste:
Quote:
Release Notes:

* uTP has been improved significantly since 1.8.5, with many bugs fixed and performance improvements. It can be found in the preferences as "Enable bandwidth management" (but don't worry, bandwidth caps are still under your control!)
* We've added UDP tracker support!
* The setup dialog has been overhauled to make it much easier to use and with a built-in speed test. More presets were added and it automatically scales settings for high-upload connections.
* A new transfer cap feature has been added to track bandwidth usage, along with graphs to show your usage.

Feature Overview:

uTP is an alternative communication method for BitTorrent traffic that allows the client to automatically regulate its bandwidth usage to avoid adversely impacting your internet connection. This will allow you or other users on the network to download their torrents but still allow others on the network to function with little difference. This does not require any additional setup.

In addition, uTP in this version has added its own form of STUN, a method of getting incoming connections without direct connectivity to the Internet. This allows µTorrent to punch holes through routers and firewalls to increase connectivity and improve speeds. It is even possible to connect two firewalled peers through uTP's NAT traversal feature.
More details on uTP

UDP trackers are a different protocol for tracker communication that uses significantly less processing power on the tracker end. It's important for us to support this because trackers have limited resources, so this should allow them to support many more users with their current hardware and not crash under the load.

The transfer cap settings were added in response to various users who have ISP-mandated caps on how much data they can download/upload in a month. Now you can track your usage in MB (with a handy graph to visualize it) and even configure µTorrent to stop torrenting once the limits are exceeded. Currently, you can configure the time interval, the data cap and whether it should stop based on only download, upload, or both combined.

As a privacy notice, this traffic data is not sent back to us or anyone.
Old 2010-03-01, 01:47 AM
590.32 GB/1.28 TB/2.22

Quote:
Originally Posted by direwolf-pgh View Post
there IS a throttle in the new version to prevent utorrent from saturating your local bandwidth.

enjoy some copy/paste. . .
You forgot the part where you guys claim the new "control measures" in uTorrent 2.0 are the next best thing to sliced bread.
Old 2010-03-01, 08:05 AM
On the Beach
666.18 GB/1.29 TB/1.99

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meddle Earth View Post
You forgot the part where you guys claim the new "control measures" in uTorrent 2.0 are the next best thing to sliced bread.
Um, Its better than sliced bread

I'm not certain why you're clicking on all that stuff (in your first post) hoping that 'torrents speed up'
..if you're using comcast - you've been throttled by your ISP for years.

Also, if you wish to turn off the new bandwidth management, here is a clue:
Options> Preferences> BitTorrent> (Uncheck) Enable Bandwidth Management
Old 2010-03-01, 08:25 AM
crumpet-stuffer
TTD Staff
87.48 GB/884.33 GB/10.11

but, wolf, THEY will turn it back on when you aren't looking!
Old 2010-03-01, 10:44 AM
610.35 GB/661.45 GB/1.08

Gotta admit, since using 2.0 everything has slowed down, an` thats this side of the pond. Nothing to do with Comcrap
Old 2010-03-01, 10:57 AM
On the Beach
666.18 GB/1.29 TB/1.99

..how exactly do you measure a torrent being slower lots of variables

try snail mail.
Old 2010-03-01, 10:59 AM
1.07 GB/44.66 MB/0.04

Thanx for the heads-up! I had just updated the other day and was wondering WTF?! Also thanx for the quick link to 1.8.5. All's well now!
Old 2010-03-01, 01:23 PM
1.21 GB/2.97 GB/2.46

resistance is futile

The Traders' Den > Where we go to learn ..... > Technobabble

Tags
things i dont understand scare me, utorrent sellout comcast fbi