The Traders' Den  

The Traders' Den > Where we go to learn ..... > Technobabble

Notices

Technobabble Post your general Need for Help questions here.
Lossy or Lossless?
Moderators

Old 2005-07-09, 07:51 AM
8.39 GB/8.40 GB/1.00

Question Uploading question, Azureus

Being fairly new to the world of torrents I have a question about uploading via Azureus. For a couple of weeks I've been downloading audio torrents, which then drop to the seeding window Azureus. My ratio here and on another site has been easily 1+ because obviously I want to pass on what I download.

This week, though, I downloaded my first DVDs, the full-show Genesis at Shepperton, Floyd at Live8, and the Mahavishnu compilation. Though the DLs went fine (though much slower than audio), the seeding is really really slow. I've had the Genesis DVD seeding pretty much every night and for a large part of each day for a week now and it's still only at .75 share, while I've had the Mahavishnu show available over 24 hours and it's just at .2. When I'm not downloading, I set the Azureus max upload speed to unlimited. What bothers me is my Tarders Den ratio is now at .47, when I'm really trying to keep things open to anyone who wants it. Is it just there's no demand for these shows?

Can anyone offer guidance on this? What are good max upload settings? Is unlimited the best? What should I set it at if I'm downloading at the same time? I use cable modem access, btw.

Thanks for any comments!

Frank
Reply With Quote Reply with Nested Quotes
Old 2005-07-09, 08:07 AM
TTD Staff
1.11 TB/1.41 TB/1.27

Re: Uploading question, Azureus

could be a number of things...read this http://www.thetradersden.org/forums/...ead.php?t=9149

re: u/l settings--"unlimited" is fine, especially when yer leaving a window overnight...when d/ling too, i used to set my u/l to 80% of its max, and this kept things moving without clogging up.
Old 2005-07-09, 08:17 AM
You are TOO
2.08 GB/7.38 GB/3.55

I'm not sure what's in the link AAR.oner posted (too lazy to look right now ), but as he said - there could be a number of reasons why your ratio is low. For example, if there are a lot of seeds and relatively fewer leeches, then all of the seeds wouldn't be "used" or they'd be used less often, making your upload less and hence a lower ratio. As you said, it could also be that there is little demand at this time for the show and maybe no one is actually leeching at all. I wouldn't worry about it. If you want a higher ratio, keep your window open just in case someone needs your seed. It won't hurt anything.

Thanks for being considerate and wanting to upload as much as you can.
Old 2005-07-09, 09:01 AM
8.39 GB/8.40 GB/1.00

Thanks for the replies, folks.

AAR.oner, I did read that thread before I posted, actually. Like I said, I never had a problem keeping a 1+ ratio until I went for the DVDs. Maybe there's just less demand in general for those files...

Frank
Old 2005-07-09, 09:04 AM
You are TOO
2.08 GB/7.38 GB/3.55

DVDs are obviously much larger and generally you'll download them faster than uploading them, so it'll take a loooong time to regain the ratio you had prior to starting the download of a DVD.

You can be patient and wait or move on to the next one. We don't discriminate against people with low ratios here.
Old 2005-07-09, 11:11 AM
TTD Staff
474.39 GB/2.01 TB/4.34

I was going to mention what Ted mentioned.... the fact that a DVD is going to take about five or six (or more) times as long to upload the amount to hit a 1:1 ratio as an audio show will. If you figure audio to be around 600-800 MB and a DVD to be around 4.2 GB, well, you can see it's going to take a lot more time to upload.

Old 2005-07-09, 01:08 PM
8.39 GB/8.40 GB/1.00

Thanks, Lynne and Ted - I guess that clears it up. I just wanted to make sure I was best config'ed to share back.

Frank
Old 2005-07-10, 04:52 PM
8.39 GB/8.40 GB/1.00

On second thought, since initially posting I've had the Genesis and Mahavishnu DVD shows open pretty much all weekend, finally getting one up to nearly a 1.00 share ratio and the other over .5 before stopping each in Azureus - and I notice my stats are still the same. So I think there's an issue with the upload/download tracking, at least in my case...

Frank
Old 2005-07-10, 05:12 PM
170.87 GB/193.84 GB/1.13

Quote:
Originally Posted by AAR.oner
could be a number of things...read this http://www.thetradersden.org/forums/...ead.php?t=9149

re: u/l settings--"unlimited" is fine, especially when yer leaving a window overnight...when d/ling too, i used to set my u/l to 80% of its max, and this kept things moving without clogging up.
I go for the "80% rule" too but probably unlimited if I let it go overnight.
Old 2005-07-10, 07:46 PM
You are TOO
2.08 GB/7.38 GB/3.55

Quote:
Originally Posted by frank3si
On second thought, since initially posting I've had the Genesis and Mahavishnu DVD shows open pretty much all weekend, finally getting one up to nearly a 1.00 share ratio and the other over .5 before stopping each in Azureus - and I notice my stats are still the same. So I think there's an issue with the upload/download tracking, at least in my case...

Frank
No issue. Simply stop your torrents and start them again to get the tracker to update your stats (do not pause them - it won't work).

EDIT: Good advice on the 80% upload thing too. Some clients are programmed to give crappy downloads if you have the upload set to something too low for what the programmer thinks is fair. No details as to what % with what client though. I just know from experience that it's best to 70~80% for optimal download on a number of clients.
Old 2005-07-11, 01:28 AM
kotti
0.00 KB/0.00 KB/---

The Genesis Shepperton Studios footage is seeded at dimeadozen.org so your stats on that won't obviously effect your stats here.
Old 2005-07-12, 04:57 AM
8.39 GB/8.40 GB/1.00

You're correct, Kotti, but just last night I had the Mahavishnu Orchestra DVD open all night. I've started the torrent, stopped it, started, etc. and all stats are the same. So... Oh well!

Frank
Old 2005-07-12, 06:23 AM
TTD Staff
474.39 GB/2.01 TB/4.34

frank, you can contact us via the Contact Us link below and we can adjust your stats for you.

Old 2005-07-27, 12:44 PM
8.39 GB/8.40 GB/1.00

Geez, U2Lynne, I just realized I never replied to you Thanks for the message, but at this point those stats from those sessions have faded from memory. My ratio now is up to .9 (and climbing) anyway so everything looks OK as far as updating. Thanks, though, for taking the time to offer!

Frank

The Traders' Den > Where we go to learn ..... > Technobabble